Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TheWraith

Just started reading The Pale King by David Foster Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

Reading The Secret Scripture-Sebastian Barry. Finding it to be a bit of a struggle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Just finished all of the 'Game of Thrones' series and am a bit pissed that they are not all finished yet!

They are all pretty good books though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Currently reading The Boys from Brazil.

Great read so far, and I have seen the film beforehand.

It's a bit awkward though, for the following reasons:

- I only read it when on the way to and from work on the tram.

- Now normally that wouldn't be a problem, but I'm working in Germany and what's emblazoned on the cover of the book?....a big Swastika.

Interesting glances:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

About half way through Tau Zero by Poul Anderson.

Science fiction novel about a spaceship whose decelerator stops working resulting in it and its passengers travelling millennia into the future relative to their surroundings (well I don't know how far yet the decelerator's only just stopped working!). It's regarded as the ultimate 'hard' SciFi novel in that the science is really accurate and actually quite complex so it's not for everyone. The characters and writing are so-so and thus it's often described as 'great science, average fiction'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Champagne Kisses and PS I Love You.

Changed my life. I used to lie awake fretting that the much feted Irish literature and culture had gone the slow steady decline of the French, a degression that all could see but none could prevent.

Until I found these two beauties. Now I sleep like an angel with warm dreams of skipping through spring meadows with James Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Changed my life. I used to lie awake fretting that the much feted Irish literature and culture had gone the slow steady decline of the French, a degression that all could see but none could prevent.

Until I found these two beauties. Now I sleep like an angel with warm dreams of skipping through spring meadows with James Joyce.
    I loved PS I Love You, so sad but brilliant as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

A Thousand Splendid Suns. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This post is of greater artistic merit than anything Cecelia Ahern has ever produced. I commend you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Crow Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

http://www.amazon.com/Even-Worse-Than-Looks-Constitutional/dp/0465031331

It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism

Pretty good book about how polarised the American political system is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Just finished The Garden Of Beasts by Erki Larsen. About William Dodd the US Ambassador to Germany at the time of Hitler's ascension to absolute power. Decent. The daughter was a hoor.

In fact that book may be entered on this thread multiple times, poxy hardbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Camackaze

Robert Fisk : The great war for civilisation the conquest of the middle east

An absolute whopper of a book!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

just finished Brandon Sanderson's The way of Kings - slow starting but very very good for anyone into fantasy. Cant't wait for the next one as it's a 10 book series.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just finished The Great Gatsby, class!

Picked up Fatherland by Robert Harris. I've heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Manufacturing Consent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

" Wuthering Heights". I have yet to find a greater love story

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

alie wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reading the 3rd Hunger Games book.
    Kind of bored with it, so speed reading just to get to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

alie wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic :pac:
    Well I liked it plus the film too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Bought 50 shades today..Gonna start it now :) Bought the trilogy today in Easons,Had a deal going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Miss_Theresa

In the middle of reading Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Re-reading Clive Cussler collection

.....and

Car hit, other driver drove off - good ending on this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

magztar wrote: »
    Bought 50 shades today..Gonna start it now :) Bought the trilogy today in Easons,Had a deal going.

Lot of hype bout them - def not as brilliant as all the media say. Awful lot of txts/emails and they are really boring. Know it's supposed to be erotic literature but in my tiny opinion, it's a bit of mild sex and bondage with some poorly structured plot lines.

But hope you enjoy it more than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Re-reading Dead Famous by Ben Elton. It's about a murder in a a "Big Brother" type of show. Forgot how funny it actually was, might re-read High Society after this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

FanadMan wrote: »
    Lot of hype bout them - def not as brilliant as all the media say. Awful lot of txts/emails and they are really boring. Know it's supposed to be erotic literature but in my tiny opinion, it's a bit of mild sex and bondage with some poorly structured plot lines.

But hope you enjoy it more than me :)

I haven't read fifty shades but I was really intrigued when I first heard about it. However, I found I had reservations when I saw how massive it became, with people openly talking about it on facebook etc. The final straw was when I heard my mum talking about it! Turns out some of the Amazon reviews are as famous as the book.
    Thanks to the many other perturbed readers who have shared their own choices of the most annoyingly overused phrases in this masterpiece. Following up on their suggestions with my ever-useful Kindle search function, I have discovered that Ana says "Jeez" 81 times and "oh my" 72 times. She "blushes" or "flushes" 125 times, including 13 that are "scarlet," 6 that are "crimson," and one that is "stars and stripes red." (I can't even imagine.) Ana "peeks up" at Christian 13 times, and there are 9 references to Christian's "hooded eyes," 7 to his "long index finger," and 25 to how "hot" he is (including four recurrences of the epic declarative sentence "He's so freaking hot."). Christian's "mouth presses into a hard line" 10 times. Characters "murmur" 199 times, "mutter" 49 times, and "whisper" 195 times (doesn't anyone just talk?), "clamber" on/in/out of things 21 times, and "smirk" 34 times. Christian and Ana also "gasp" 46 times and experience 18 "breath hitches," suggesting a need for prompt intervention by paramedics. Finally, in a remarkable bit of symmetry, our hero and heroine exchange 124 "grins" and 124 "frowns"... which, by the way, seems an awful lot of frowning for a woman who experiences "intense," "body-shattering," "delicious," "violent," "all-consuming," "turbulent," "agonizing" and "exhausting" orgasms on just about every page.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

I've taken it upon myself to read his whole Discworld collection in order. It'll take me to the end of the year to do so I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

The Squad by T. Ryle Dwyer, Michael Collins comes across as a Cocky General, who would do anything for freedom of his country, including allowing his own country men to be killed.

Hold on a sec, that's exactly what any General did back then and today.

I don't agree with the man, but he was clever and very good looking, this book was a shock to me in how, he went about doing the things he did, not judging him just wonder if me or any other Irish person I know would have the same pride in the state that he believed in, and be so willing to allow fellow believers, to fall dead.

I guess I'm not General material, I never understood war, never will, but a very interesting read non the less 8/10:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Murder at Shandy Hall
    A Nineteenth Century Irish Sex Scandal.

A journalist describes the actual Court proceedings as they unfold.

I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. Love her :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement