Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Is it good? I love Karin Slaughter's stuff.

I'm currently reading Hornet's Nest by Patricia Cornwell. I needed a break between the two Terry Pratchett books I read coz I feel you have to be extremely engaged in his books! I bought the next two in his collection today with a voucher I had and I look forward to getting into them.

I managed to get a good few second hand books for free recently. I need to tidy up my room for them so I look forward to putting the iPod on the dock, turning the volume up high and reorganizing my bookshelf!

Its fantastic, one of the best ones of hers that I've read, great twists right up to the very end - highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

gufnork wrote: »
    Was reading Last Snow by Eric Van Lustbader but had to give up on it at page 167, just couldn't take the tedium any longer, which is a real shame because I've read and loved nearly all his earlier novels(The Ninja, White Ninja, The Miko etc etc...). Me and Eric seem to have parted ways a good many moons ago.

Never read Last Snow ,but did read and enjoy all of the above.
    Named my dog after his novel Shan.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Bill Bryson- A Short History of Nearly Everything. Excellent read so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ghost Wars (CIA History in Afganistan) by Steve Coll
    All Hell Let Loose (complete history of ww2) by Max Hastings.
    Grey Wolf (The evidence that Hitler died in Paraguay) by Simon Dustan & Gerard Williams

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4817/20120805124835.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

I'm reading snow crash by Neil Stephenson. Its class.
    From amazon "Exploring linguistics, religion, computer science, politics, philosophy, cryptography and the future of pizza delivery"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm currently reading The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris.

He's a lovely writer, and makes even the more difficult concepts really accessible. I've never read any of his work before, but I've got Letter To A Christian Nation lined up for my next read.

Highly recommend if anyone fancies a break from fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Never read Last Snow ,but did read and enjoy all of the above.
    Named my dog after his novel Shan.:)

Yeah, I remember Shan well. I loved those novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Under the Dome was typical King, great for the first 600 pages, then he realises he has no way to end it so just lashes in the first thing that comes into his head, and fires it off to the publisher.

It was a decent enough read but the ending was laughable, even by his standards.

I like King but that is a very apt criticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Joni23 wrote: »
    I'm reading snow crash by Neil Stephenson. Its class.
    From amazon "Exploring linguistics, religion, computer science, politics, philosophy, cryptography and the future of pizza delivery"

I loved that book. It's great fun. It's not as easy to get into his other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

How to use an ATM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

I've kept meaning to read more of her stuff after Kisscut, but mother of god that was a disturbing book:O

I'm re-reading the Whisperer's by John Connolly.

In my opinion he's finally managed to get the blend of plot and literary skills rounded off with a satisfying ending. I still like the Killing Kind's ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tym wrote: »
    I've kept meaning to read more of her stuff after Kisscut, but mother of god that was a disturbing book:O

I'm re-reading the Whisperer's by John Connolly.

In my opinion he's finally managed to get the blend of plot and literary skills rounded off with a satisfying ending. I still like the Killing Kind's ending.

Yeah Karin's stuff makes me squirm!

John Connolly is brilliant. Don't think I've read Whisperers yet. Killing Kind was great! I love books that have cults involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Is American Psycho banned in Ireland ? because I can't seem to find it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Festy wrote: »
    Is American Psycho banned in Ireland ? because I can't seem to find it anywhere.

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

It's way easier to find than when I initially got it. As of recent, I've seen it in the HMV book section and Waterstones. Ireland doesn't ban any creative work anymore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 waywardsun

Bright lights big city - 1980's book about a dull, yuppy guy working in an office. Bit boring and dated, set in the clubs and drugs scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Just started Inheritance the third book in the Eragon series. While the movie is terrible I gave the book a chance, out of boredom. Really good, as is the second and so far the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Pantsface wrote: »
    Mars Bar wrote: »

I'm currently reading Hornet's Nest by Patricia Cornwell. I needed a break between the two Terry Pratchett books I read coz I feel you have to be extremely engaged in his books! I bought the next two in his collection today with a voucher I had and I look forward to getting into them.

I managed to get a good few second hand books for free recently. I need to tidy up my room for them so I look forward to putting the iPod on the dock, turning the volume up high and reorganizing my bookshelf!

Its fantastic, one of the best ones of hers that I've read, great twists right up to the very end - highly recommend!

I agree, her books are always good, vowed never to read Patricia cornwells books again. Too much technical detail, too little story line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler in the early hours of this am .... really good engrossing read :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Under the Dome was typical King, great for the first 600 pages, then he realises he has no way to end it so just lashes in the first thing that comes into his head, and fires it off to the publisher.

It was a decent enough read but the ending was laughable, even by his standards.

even by his "hey guys i know you're in the middle of reading this story but im going to stick in a page here to say that i know this isnt a proper ending please dont send me angry letters okay now back to the story" standards?

You don't get people recommending the dark tower series anywhere near as much since that last book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shryke wrote: »
    You don't get people recommending the dark tower series anywhere near as much since that last book.

such a cop out is what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just downloaded A Game of Thrones. I'm excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Im reading Foucault's pendulum at the moment. So far its an exelent book. Although it reads closer to a science text book than a novel. I think thats why I enjoy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Its available in easons in Dunlaoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

a feast for crows by george rr martin.

so far, so ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

So worth it for the last chapter. Weakest book of the 5 published so far though.

genericguy wrote: »
    a feast for crows by george rr martin.

so far, so ****.

It's only half of the view points with the other half in the next book running concurrent which you probably know.
    The next makes up for things having most of the fan favourite perspectives and action in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Picked up some Spanish novels from my local library so that I don't lose momentum with it before going back to college. There are far too many words I don't know than there should be... :o but I'm trying to get in to Un asesino piadoso by J.M. Guelbenzu at the moment.

On a related note, if anyone happens to have read anything good in Spanish or French lately, recommend it to me! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement