Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

What's the verdict on these? Bit curious about them.

I love them so far. The first book was pretty good, I'm only thirty odd pages into the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Only on chapter five yet but it's a good story

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

A Clash of Kings..2nd Game of Thrones book..I would definitely reccommend it! Started watching the series a few weeks ago, and I was hooked straight away so once I had finished I bought every book and working my way through them..they're fairly big but worth the read!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Such a tearjerker that book, I loved it. Good choice :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Love when I find a new author that I love!

Karin Fossum - she's brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Passage by Justin Cronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

AllWasWell wrote: »
    A Clash of Kings..2nd Game of Thrones book..I would definitely reccommend it! Started watching the series a few weeks ago, and I was hooked straight away so once I had finished I bought every book and working my way through them..they're fairly big but worth the read!
    Same here, yeah they are big books but you so fast to read. I'm about 300 pages on and started it a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

1215 the year of the magna Carta... Good non fiction....

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Just picked up critical mass - How one thing leads to another by philip ball.It is about 'ideas and insights on its quest for a science of society'.

Looking forward to reading it. Seems like a good nonfiction book although not something i would normally go for.

gutenberg wrote: »

Such a tearjerker that book, I loved it. Good choice :o

I can't put it down! I've about a third left and I'll probably finish it tonight. Children will be neglected once again :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I am almost finished reading Snakes in Suits. It was recommended to me so I purchased but left in my bookcase until recently.

Talk about an eye-opener as to how people are going where they are in the work environs; getting away with what they are and generally how well people are able to manipulate and pull the wool over their supervisors eyes hassle-free and with the suprvisor being blind-sided and ignorant to what's happening in their group! :eek: Massive Read for me & I am sorry I didn't read this in full earlier.

Oh how I'd love for more people to read this book and not to find themselves in situations with two-faced, nasty individuals like I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Last Light by Alex Scarrow - Its a thriller about what would happen if a massive terrorist campaign shut down the flow of oil and how everyone would be pretty much screwed.

I am reading the book thief. Quite good. Got about 60 pages left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

I've found myself increasingly reading crime fiction set in different countries, either written by natives of those countries and translated into English or written by English speaking writers. Coincidentally, the last three I finished were all set in Italy: one by an English writer, one by an American and one by an Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I can't put it down! I've about a third left and I'll probably finish it tonight. Children will be neglected once again :P

I'm glad :) I read it while I was writing my Master's thesis and thus feeling a bit sorry for myself: helped put things in perspective! ;) And I'm sure your kids are enjoying their temporary freedom...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Voice of the Ages

I'm reading The Forgotten Soldier. It gives a very interesting perspective of the other side in the OSTfront conflict.

Great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

How To Lie With Statistics. It's really good, very entertaining and informative.

gutenberg wrote: »

I'm glad :) I read it while I was writing my Master's thesis and thus feeling a bit sorry for myself: helped put things in perspective! ;) And I'm sure your kids are enjoying their temporary freedom...

Stayed up to 3 this morning to finish it!

Bloody brilliant! I now have shares in Kleenex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Reading Game of Thrones at the moment, the first book in the series.

about a quarter of the way through. so many names

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Read 3 books on hols,

Iron house 5 stars John hart Would reccomend !!!! It's brilliant.
    Still missing 4 stars Chevy Stevens. It's good if you like crime novels.
    Lost river 3 stars Stephen booth. Can get boring in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Read 3 books on hols,

Iron house 5 stars John hart Would reccomend !!!! It's brilliant.
    Still missing 4 stars Chevy Stevens. It's good if you like crime novels.
    Lost river 3 stars Stephen booth. Can get boring in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

The Power Of Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Lolita

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Heart of Darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Finished the 1st book in the Dexter series this morning and then went into town to buy the 2nd one but none of the bookstores had it....am gonna have ta wait nearly a week to get it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

girlonfire wrote: »
    Lolita

Great book, read it a few months ago, felt a bit dodgy taking it out from the library though due to the subject matter of course but well worth it. Nabokov's ability to put you inside the head of Humbert Humbert is extraordinary, leading you to sympathise & actually root for the guy in his sordid escapades, despite you knowing what a scumbag he is - the many allusions to intelectual, high brow works in the book are great at portraying him as a suave & erudite character, which actually makes the core plot of the book - the seduction of a young girl, all the more horrifying - I would not be surprised to learn that Thomas Harris was influenced by Nabokov as there's a lot of Humbert in Hannibal Lector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. His first novel and it's really good so far. I'm about half way through and bought it today, I just put it down for a bit there.
    It's all about the 1980s and video games/general nerdage, while set in the future and mostly taking place in a kind of virtual reality that allows for some really cool stuff to happen.
    The front cover of the book has it being called Willy Wonka meets the Matrix, which I don't think is too apt but does give not a bad impression.
    It definitely owes a bit to Snow Crash and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson, started it a few times then never got back to it, started again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Currently about a quarter of the way through Life, Keith Richard's autobiography written with James Fox. Many of the stories he tells about their early days are great for getting an insight into the humble beginnings of the band, living together in a freezing London hovel, the kitchen piled high with dirty crockery that no one dared tackle - very Withnail & I.

Keef really seems to have been taken aback by how quickly they suddenly started making an impact, in a matter of weeks the buzz from their performances in the Crawdaddy club in Richmond meant that everywhere they went they were met by legions of screaming teenage girls - a pretty unexpected experience for a bunch of guys, who although they were not adverse to making money & getting laid basically just wanted to play the blues. In one paragraph (which I suspect may be slightly embellished as it's just too good a line) on an early concert after they had started making an impact Richards tells of returning to the stage of a venue after the gig was over & meeting a janitor sweeping up, who remarked casually that it had been "a very good show tonight - not a dry seat in the house" !!!

Overall pretty good so far, one to check out for fans of one of the 20th century's greatest bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Shryke wrote: »
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. His first novel and it's really good so far. I'm about half way through and bought it today, I just put it down for a bit there.
    It's all about the 1980s and video games/general nerdage, while set in the future and mostly taking place in a kind of virtual reality that allows for some really cool stuff to happen.
    The front cover of the book has it being called Willy Wonka meets the Matrix, which I don't think is too apt but does give not a bad impression.
    It definitely owes a bit to Snow Crash and the like.

Read it a few weeks back. Absolutely fantastic book, one of the best from 2012 so far.

I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb at the moment, its fairly slow to start off but addictive all the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement