Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Dubliners.....great little read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Four

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Insomnia-Stephen King.

He IS the King!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

But it's something that should be read. People should know precisely what these bastards did. E.G...

HUGE SPOILER HERE...
    A few weeks after the abuse started, Sean, aged just 8, tried to commit suicide by jumping out a window, but couldn't open the lock

However, this guys story actually has a somewhat happy ending. He grew up to be a very happy and successful man with a loving family.

I'd find something like that harrowing to read & it would have me upset, so I'll avoid - but am glad to hear he's doing well in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭oneill787

I'm reading come what may by donal óg cusack. I'd recommend it for anyone who likes sporting autobiographies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

If anyone's into autobiographies may I recommend 'My Wicked Wicked Ways' by Errol Flynn. He must have lived the equivalent of about 5 lifetimes during his one. How much is exaggerated is open to speculation, but it's pretty entertaining none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr.zac

'The Leader Who Had No Title' - Robin Sharma
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

If anyone's into autobiographies may I recommend 'My Wicked Wicked Ways' by Errol Flynn. He must have lived the equivalent of about 5 lifetimes during his one. How much is exaggerated is open to speculation, but it's pretty entertaining none the less.

Yea I heard that was a good book alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just finished "War of the Dwarves" by Marcus Heitz.

Brilliant book!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Generation Kill ( the book the mini series was based on )

quite good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Green Woman by Peter Straub.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright. I really enjoyed it. Should be read if anyone is thinking about having an affair!

The Sea by John Banville. I have to admire his fantastic way with words. The way he can describe a simple scene is amazing but I found the ending a bit of a let down. I've heard its being made into a movie in Rosslare next year.

The Benjamin Black books written by John Banville. Very good easy read all based in Dublin in the '50's. Very enjoyable. Again these are being made into a tv series.

My favorite book which I just read again is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Anything by Lee Child or Michael Connolly is brilliant. Love their books and have read each 4-5 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just finished 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. If anyone liked Steven Kings 'The Stand' or is into vampires or post apocalyptic dealies they should check it out. 7.5/10 on the Strobe rating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I don't think I've ever given so many thanks in one go as I just have reading through this thread - so many of you are reading all my favourites (Tale of Fire and Ice, Stephen King, Chaucer and so on!).

I'm still ploughing through the Fire and Ice series, also reading a FREE fantasy trilogy on my Kindle..erm.. the Delver series if anyone knows it - pretty good and original but I get a feeling there's some Christian allegory going on which puts me off a bit. Recently read Stephen King's 'Under the Dome' - which had him back on form again after far too many years of just being plain nasty as opposed to being a master of the art of suspense and horror (I find it difficult to explain why I hate Dolores Claibourne and Needful Things but love Salems Lot and It - apart from the ending - guess it's like the difference between Hammer Horror and the beginning of Robocop, I prefer my horror to suggest rather than be graphic).

I am always reading either The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings trilogy - dip in and out of them between other books, and always find something new in there.

Hang on a sec - this is AH, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Darkginger wrote: »

Hang on a sec - this is AH, right?

Yes, I thought I would bring a bit of culture to AH! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭locked_out

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/0307452417

Shocking account of how the Mental Health Industry is abusing their position of power. The information is unbiased, which is a plus. Report the facts as raw data, not manipulate the figures to suit your interests...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Miri5 wrote: »
    Meant to say, all you guys reading Stephen King should read The Talisman by him and Peter Straub. Such a good book :)

That one is in my still to read pile:). I read Black House years ago, not realising that it follows on from The Talisman..

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

I finished Dance With Dragons last weekend and started to re-read the series then but as George R R Martin is a master of making me angry and sad, I'm also going to re-read Hal Duncan's Book of all Hours books as well. Or maybe re-read Scott R Bakker's Warrior Prophet series before I read the next trilogy from him and I want to re-read the Malazan series. Gah! Too much to choose from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

South Africa's Brave New World The Beloved Country Since The End of Apartheid

A bit of a gruelling read as it's over 600 pages of one unpronounceable african name after another. Still very interesting though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

The Bible

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

jackie1974 wrote: »

I'm reading 'Those in Peril' by Wilbur Smith, it's O.K. the romantic tripe ruins what could be a good read.
    Here here! I love Wilbur Smith, but more-so the older novels. WAY too much soppy stuff in the newer stuff. The Egyptian books and the Courtney books were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

'Youth in Revolt', by C. D. Payne.
    Here's a description:
    Told as the diary of an oversexed 14-year-old, this three-part comic-novel deals with the usual adolescent bugbears: divorced parents, rebellion, virginity. Set in the cultural wasteland of trailer-park northern California, the episodic plot involves arson, car theft, police brutality and more. Nick tries to win an even more precocious girl his age, Sheeni Saunders, by means of allusive letters and screwball schemes which eventually backfire. Payne gives his narrator an overblown literary voice that contrasts with the attendant embarrassments of his age (e.g., the problems of finding a place to masturbate privately in an R.V.), but the narrative strains for comedic effect. With its Woody Allen-like punch lines, double entendres and overall high-school atmosphere, the novel reads like YA fiction: a nihilist Daniel Pinkwater. And for all Nick's intellectual pretension and artificial speech (qualities echoed, oddly, by nearly all the teenaged characters), he seems devoid of imagination or any redeeming qualities; nor does he care about anything other than satisfying his pubescent desires. And, though in the book's final third the boy comes alive in his drag persona of Carlotta (and Payne admirably brings home his convoluted plot), it is too late to revitalize an ultimately unsympathetic hero.

Hey, I liked it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_in_Revolt

Oh yeah, ''Vernon 'God' Little'' by D.B.C. Pierre.
    Well worth reading, cool story, think it won a Man Booker Prize too when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im re-reading Endymion as i seen it on this thread and got an itch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

Its alright so far, hope it picks up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm reading 'The Authoritarians' by Robert Altemeyer

It's basically a synopsis of Prof Altemeyer's studies as he was developing a psychological profile of the subgroup 'Right Wing Authoritarians'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_authoritarianism

It's pretty interesting, available for free online http://members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/TheAuthoritarians.pdf?bcsi_scan_3B62C3B9CDE81008=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

cant believe this is still running in AH

cant believe this is still running in AH
    We're an eclectic bunch. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer (for the 4th or 5th time).
    About the history of climbing the North Face of the Eiger, great book.

Will finish it tonight and have Moscow 1941 by Rodric Braithwaite lined up next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement