Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

the crimson petal and the white...its huge with small print but loving it so far, its like a "pretty woman" but set in victorian times. and no its not chicklit! read "room" and "the help" and couldn't put them down. love a good book to take ur mind off things at the end of a sh!tty day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

Feast for Crows, George RR Martin.. its a bit of a let down, not got a patch on what the rest of the series were like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon.

Absolutely gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The Men that stare at Goats Jon Ronson very very good have not seen the film
    City of Thieves David Benihof reads like a movie hope there is one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Hootanany wrote: »
    The Men that stare at Goats Jon Ronson very very good have not seen the film
    I've seen the film, not read the book. Film was good though, but will read the book anyway. Kinda wish I hadn't seen the film now, it spoils the book a bit, if ya know what I mean. Your mind kinda fashions the characters from written description and that wouldn't usually tally with the film version.
    Film versions of books tend to disappoint, I guess you can only fit in so much, and there are other obvious limitations, it's rare a film runs close to the book version. 'One flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' is an example of one that worked.
    I'll look out for this one anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Jane Casey's third crime novel The Reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Johro wrote: »
    I've seen the film, not read the book. Film was good though, but will read the book anyway. Kinda wish I hadn't seen the film now, it spoils the book a bit, if ya know what I mean. Your mind kinda fashions the characters from written description and that wouldn't usually tally with the film version.
    Film versions of books tend to disappoint, I guess you can only fit in so much, and there are other obvious limitations, it's rare a film runs close to the book version. 'One flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' is an example of one that worked.
    I'll look out for this one anyway

The book is informative journalism so I would not say the film was anything like it his first book Them was another blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Solace by Belinda McKeon, its good but a bit over written I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

cant believe this is still running in AH

Read a book will ya!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

fearbainne wrote: »
    Feast for Crows, George RR Martin.. its a bit of a let down, not got a patch on what the rest of the series were like!

You know I just literally read the first 4 and after book 1 it all just got samey. Everytime a character starts doing 'well' he either kills them or severely ****s them over and you have to start all over again. Struggled to read 3 and 4 as a result.

Currently reading Consider Plebas by Iain M Banks. Felt like some Sci Fi for a change. It's alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'm reading Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

*awaits jokes about the title of the book & the author's name*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

None of you would have heard of it as it hasn't even been written yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The Greatest Story Never Told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Dennis Lehane - Darkness, Take my Hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

just starting alive! looking forward to this, should be a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

the shining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My Life With Aspergers by Megan Hammond.

Because my daughter has Aspergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭pavb2

Originally Posted by I Heart Internet viewpost.gif
    Penguin History of the United States of America - by Hugh Brogan.

Just started it. The Indians are not faring well right now. I'm sure after this it'll be plain sailing for them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LumpyGravy viewpost.gif
    Bedtime read on the Kindle: A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Which is the better out of the two?

Currently reading the Forgotten Highlander- Alistair Urquhart recommended on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

'We Need to Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. I'm enjoying it, the movie looks like it will be good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Truley wrote: »
    'We Need to Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. I'm enjoying it, the movie looks like it will be good too.
    I thought it was a great book. Can't wait to see the movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The Green Book

by

Colonel Muammar Muhammad al-Gaddafi
    Brotherly Leader and Guide of the Revolution of Libya

http://www.mathaba.net/gci/theory/gb3.htm

Fasinating new way of doing politics,i.e. the Third International Theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

The Abduction - Mark Gimenez

I've recently read all his other books, he is being hailed as the new Grisham.

Remember the first few Grisham books were really good?

Mark Gimenez's books are very much in that style - best thrillers I've read in a while.

The Perk
    The Common Lawyer
    Accused

All worth a read.

Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Based in Mississippi in the early 1960's a inside view of the life of maids.
    Excellent excellent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Played With Fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Filth - Irvine Welsh

Hard going with the guttural phonetic conversational scots but funny as hell ultimately rewarding like his other works.

Have Gulliver's Travels going on a kindle app on my phone after promising myself I'd read the full version someday (read abridged one as a child)

Been stuck trying to finish Song of Susannah in the DT series for nearly a year now, have lost a lot of momentum on DT series which is a shame, mostly due to reading the disappointment of others at finishing it...

py2006 wrote: »
    The Dark Tower are the only books I can't seem to touch by King. I started the first one but couldn't get into it!

I read Pet Semetary when I was about in my early teens and never turned back!

To go against what I said above, you should try and finish Gunslinger and then start the second book...it's a definite step up and the rest of the series are page turners...
    tommy knockers

One of my favourite ST works.
    So many good books and stories...probably my favourite of all is The Long Walk under his pseudonym. That said, most of his more recent stuff simply hasn't done it for me...thought Cell was especially bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm reading War & Peace at the moment. Its very good, but very daunting I've read 200 pages and I'm less than a quarter of the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

The Flight of the Earls by John McCavitt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The skinner by Neal Asher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

Wertz wrote: »
    Have Gulliver's Travels going on a kindle app on my phone after promising myself I'd read the full version someday (read abridged one as a child)

Read the hardcopy a few months ago, found it tough going, lots of rambling tedious stuff thrown in, he keeps saying he wont bother the reader with lots of mundane details and then proceeds to bother the reader with other mundane details. That said, for a book written so long ago, it must have been a great way to spend an evening reading it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement