Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

DB21 wrote: »
    Jake. It's a feckin' dog's name, and that's that.

I think its quite silly when people associate a certain name with only 1 animal and nothing else. I have never heard a dog being called Jake before, but it doesn't matter. People do go "SHUR THATS ONLY A HUMANS NAME ONLY!!" if someone calls their dog something like Michael etc. It would be understandable if it was a name like Fluffy though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I think its quite silly when people associate a certain name with only 1 animal and nothing else. I have never heard a dog being called Jake before, but it doesn't matter. People do go "SHUR THATS ONLY A HUMANS NAME ONLY!!" if someone calls their dog something like Michael etc. It would be understandable if it was a name like Fluffy though.

my friend has an Irish wolfhound called michael,suits him perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

So he should choose names to make the jobs of people who write down and pronounce names easier?

I find this interesting, I have a few foreign neighbours who have named all their children traditional names from where they are from, but Irish people freak out about "if they go abroad, people cannot pronounce it" so what?

I have met some ridiculous ones,
    Shakira,
    Stacey - for a boy
    3 sisters that are named after Charlies Angels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Mr.Success wrote: »
    concepta, assumpta gives me the creeps

You can add Attracta to that bunch. It's mainly a nuns name, never fails to send shivers down me :o

You gotta love the name on one of Silvio Berlesconis broods 'Ruby the Heart Stealer'

Remember once working in New Zealand in cafe with a girl from Cork called Grainne. Her name badge proudly displayed this and low and behold I had a long summer of listening to Yanks say to her 'Wow, is your name really Granny ?'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What about the old tradition of naming girls with boys names?

I know 2 women in their 60s called Declan and Michael. And they aren't nuns.

Also know a man in his 40s whose middle name is Emmanuel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You guys need to get out more

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

NIMAN wrote: »

Its happening in America in recent times. Naming girls things like "Taylor" or "McKenzie", which are surnames ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know a child called Tyler (girl) cos her da is a tiler.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

A set of twins, one called Benson, the other Hedges.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Someone I worked with called her child Jupiter, and the surname is Jones.

Jupiter Jones. What a stupid fuking name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I over here in the US. These are some of my kids' friend's names:

Kinsale
    Jesus
    Ajax
    Lulu and Lola(sisters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fizman wrote: »
    About 3 years ago on a night out, a girl came up to [friend] in a club and was all touchy feely. She asked him his name [Percy] and when he replied, she just walked off.

Dumb bitch.
    wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I find this interesting, I have a few foreign neighbours who have named all their children traditional names from where they are from, but Irish people freak out about "if they go abroad, people cannot pronounce it" so what?

I have met some ridiculous ones,
    Shakira,
    Stacey - for a boy
    3 sisters that are named after Charlies Angels

Two positions in the post - can't decipher what it is you're getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

John /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14 totobyrne

kids are great its hard to give a kid a bad name tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I know girl boy twins called Trinity and Keanu. Matrix fans anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I was at Dublin Zoo once and I heard a mother say to her daughter:

"Shakira, will ya loook at de lions".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Lenor. The kid was a boy too. Poor lil' guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭micko123

Sim card. African child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I was at Dublin Zoo once and I heard a mother say to her daughter:

"Shakira, will ya loook at de lions".

I remember buying car insurance from an Irish woman named Shakira about 8 years ago. To think of the abuse that girl must have got growing up in a Dublin housing estate, maybe in the 1970s and 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

NIMAN wrote: »

yeah i had that too, my grandfathers headstone in the graveyard- "John Mary...", you can imagine me at seven years of age reading that trying to get my head around it! serious wtf's! :D

but there are some unusual names in my family anyway- Canice, Aloysius, Ignatius (after ignatius rice! :rolleyes:) and then the one normal name they came up with- "Jack", after my grandfather, apparently they werent allowed put "Jack" down on the birth cert as it wasnt a saints name! :confused:

course the above could also be a load o shíte too, my father was an awful billy bullshítter for his "stickin it to the man" stories! :rolleyes:

worst name i ever heard-

woody allen (bad enough already), woody allen's son with his step-daughter, soon-yi... the child's name?

"satchel", for a boy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know a family with girls called Shaday and Tameka Patrice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Two positions in the post - can't decipher what it is you're getting at.

No, one point, just badly put across due to severe insomnia!!!! I believe people should choose a name of their country. It is lovely going to a toddler group and meeting a little girl or boy with these unusual names. I hate peoples attitude towards not giving a child a beautiful name because others may not know how to pronounce it. My son has a normal name, I get asked the whole time how is it spelt as there is 2 ways of spelling it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stalin.

I'm not kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Stalin.

I'm not kidding.

I can picture the scene now.

'Stalin come in for yer Tea now!'

'Shut up, or I'll send you to the Gulag, you fat old toilet!'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Jay & Rocco. I nearly felt sorry for Bertie at the time.

Why would you do that to children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Hmmm....I want to post something, but I don't know whether to go for the two most common options in the thread so far....will I express my prejudice about something that doesn't affect me, or make up a story about a name I've supposedly overheard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Captain McDuck

Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

44leto wrote: »
    All the stupid Gaelic names

ANY of them

whats wrong with having a bit of pride in your culture instead of all the stupid celebrity skanger names.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

ronaldo o' (insert last name). :P
    true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

:eek:Cayden sounds horrible...I've also heard young mums call out to thier kids, Chardonnay, Britney, Sharkia...like wtf

Advertisement