Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what should I play first on psp

lunar silver star harmony

ys the oath in felgnana

persona

or

kingdom hearts birth by sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

what should I play first on psp

lunar silver star harmony

ys the oath in felgnana

persona

or

kingdom hearts birth by sleep?

Is that Persona 1? If so I'd say Ys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yup defo Ys. Best of the ones you mentioned there by a longshot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ghostchant wrote: »
    Is that Persona 1? If so I'd say Ys

ya I it is,just says persona on the box :)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yup defo Ys. Best of the ones you mentioned there by a longshot.

Have you played the lunar game by any chance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you played the lunar game by any chance?

Not played the remake. The lunar games are fun if a bit derivative. Only played a bit of the second one which I really enjoyed on PS1. The first one I played again on PS1. I liked it but got sidetracked when the difficulty forced grinding, no doubt a result of Working Design 'balancing'. I heard it plays a lot better on Mega CD and PSP.

• Advertisement

Price drop on some FF titles on PSN at the moment. Even better than that is front mission 3 going for 2.99, bargain!

Are persona 2 innocent sin and trails in the sky worth 50 euro on psn?

Pretty sure you can get them boxed from the US for that price. They are great games but personally I'd wait for a sale.

Ya i will i think,i want to get them on my vita Instead of psp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Ya i will i think,i want to get them on my vita Instead of psp

Bad news I'm afraid, it looks like they were on sale last week. I got them together for €30, or they were €17.99 each. I hadn't checked PSN in ages so I couldn't believe it when I saw they'd gone back up to €50 at the weekend.

I've gone a bit mad recently trying to snap up all the half-decent RPGs I can find on PSP. A lot of my recommendations came from this forum actually :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Trails in the Sky is $19.99 and Persona 2 is $14.99 on the US PSN store if you have a US account. Persona 1 and 3 are $9.99 each too.

Might pick up Persona 3 from the US store. It's the last game I have in my backlog list for the system.

Trying to finish off my DS collection is proving trickier. The last few games I need are a bit expensive.

elekid wrote: »
    Bad news I'm afraid, it looks like they were on sale last week. I got them together for €30, or they were €17.99 each. I hadn't checked PSN in ages so I couldn't believe it when I saw they'd gone back up to €50 at the weekend.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Trying to finish off my DS collection is proving trickier. The last few games I need are a bit expensive.

What are they, out of curiosity?
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I might have put it in bargain alerts etc. if I'd actually realised it was a sale :/

elekid wrote: »
    What are they, out of curiosity?

I might have put it in bargain alerts etc. if I'd actually realised it was a sale :/

hahaha no worries :) I rarely look in bargain alerts anyway

Looking at my backlog list other than the upcoming Pokemon Conquest all that is left that is an RGP is Super Robot Taisen OG Saga and it's something I can live without anyway.

You must have some collection! Pokémon Conquest looks excellent and Black and White 2 are out this year as well.

I must look into picking up SMT Devil Survivor and one of the Etrian Odysseys, they seem like the 2 main series I've missed on DS.

Based on a comment above, is Persona 1 worth playing at all? I really liked Persona 3 and 4 but 2 looks a bit more basic which makes me less sure about trying 1.

If you like dungeon crawlers you'll like it. Some people don't like it because they expect a JRPG but what they get is quite a tough Wizardy clone which a lot of the main steries SMT games are based on. I've recently fallen in love with the dungeon crawling genre after playing the first SMT game and others after it so I don't mind it. It plays more like SMT 1 and 2 than Persona 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

It cheaper on games on demand but if you like physical copies Tales of Vesperia has shown up online for a reasonable price I'm guessing it's gotten a reprint.

I think I'll see how I get on with Persona 2 first, before deciding about Persona 1
    megaten wrote: »
    It cheaper on games on demand but if you like physical copies Tales of Vesperia has shown up online for a reasonable price I'm guessing it's gotten a reprint.

What sites have you seen it on?

• Advertisement

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/fate-extra-out-now-on-psn

Ghostlight are discussing using their development team (laughing jackel) to bring JRPGs to PC. Make sure to comment or email them if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Ok, looking for an RPG recommendation if anyone could help.

I've a backlog building up and I need something short and sweet to ease me into it...

The criteria:
    1. Must be PSP/DS/3DS or can be emulated on said consoles.
    2. Must be easy to pick up and play in 20min bursts. This is the main bit!
    3. Doesn't have to neccessarily be a straight RPG, but it helps.
    4. The last game that I got addicted to because of this kinda criteria was Fire Emblem on the GBA, so maybe another SRPG is the way to go?
    5. Preferably something different.

In the last few weeks I've tried to start Inazuma 11, Tales of the Abyss, Persona 3 and I lose interest after 3 hours or so as they're too story heavy for the commute.

Ys: Oath in Felghana will be right up your street. Great to play in quick burst, insanely fast action RPG game play, and relatively short by RPG standards. Also it's amazing which helps.

Disgaea 1 or 2. 2 is a bit more user friendly in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Any particular order I should play the Ys games in regards to plot or gameplay progression?

I've played the Disgaea games to death at this stage, massive fan of Nippon Ichi's work. Personally I preferred one, I didn't really find the characters half as good in 2 as compared to 1 and 3.

To be honest the plot of the games is ****, it's more about the amazing gameplay and music. I heard some people say you should start with Ys Seven because although it's an amazing game, Felghana is better. Ys 1 and 2 chronicles is really good as well with the only down side being they require a walkthrough at points to advance in them, something XSeed realised by including one in the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Just to throw a spanner in the works here, I would recommend Jeanne D'arc (psp).

Couldn't recommend it enough. It's more light-hearted and less deep than most srpgs. Definitely one to add to the backlog at the very least!

animaX wrote: »
    Just to throw a spanner in the works here, I would recommend Jeanne D'arc (psp).

Couldn't recommend it enough. It's more light-hearted and less deep than most srpgs. Definitely one to add to the backlog at the very least!

I wholeheartily approve this statement. It only got an english release in the US but might be on the EU PSN store if you want it, it's definitely on the US one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be honest the plot of the games is ****, it's more about the amazing gameplay and music. I heard some people say you should start with Ys Seven because although it's an amazing game, Felghana is better. Ys 1 and 2 chronicles is really good as well with the only down side being they require a walkthrough at points to advance in them, something XSeed realised by including one in the manual.

I'd second this statement, been playing Ys Seven myself at home in very short bursts and the story is simple enough that even after a week long break I can easily get back into it and as Retr0 says, the action is amazing in it.

Advertisement