Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Luella Few Gang

likedaddy wrote: »
    thanks for that. looks like it might be the winner. its a bonus that i can see it before i buy it. was fully expecting to be ordering from sweden.

I have the X3 as well. great seat and also foward facing.
    bought it in murphys of rathcoole. the 40 euro difference on the north wasnt worth it in the end,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

if you're in dublin i cant recommend tonykealys enough, and its great to be able to call up if you're worried about the seat at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Be safe izi x3 here to for the last 2 1/2 years.
    No complaints at all and we got it from kiddicare.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

We have a Britax Hi-Way. It's great; smally loves it and it's easy to fit once you're used to it. Choose it over the Be Safe and others as our cars don't have isofix. Got it from Sweden; couldn't recommend carseat.se highly enough - checked suitability for each of our cars for us as they're too old to be listed in the Britax guide. Will be getting another as soon as the next one is ready for it.

We have a Britax Hi-Way. It's great; smally loves it and it's easy to fit once you're used to it. Choose it over the Be Safe and others as our cars don't have isofix. Got it from Sweden; couldn't recommend carseat.se highly enough - checked suitability for each of our cars for us as they're too old to be listed in the Britax guide. Will be getting another as soon as the next one is ready for it.

The britax is a lot neater than the isofix ones i think. that's the only prob i have with the izi combi, it's huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

liliq wrote: »

The britax is a lot neater than the isofix ones i think. that's the only prob i have with the izi combi, it's huge.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. We got yer one in Tony Keeley's in Cork to show us the isofix izi as the didn't have the non-isofix one, and they seemed pretty similar size-wise. Certainly the front seats can't go back nearly as far as was possible pre-Hi-Way. Doesn't bother me, but the other half has had to change driving position.

Maybe I'm thinking of another one! There is one non isofix one that is neater.. I think. I still have baby brain a year on, so it's definitely possible that I'm dreaming!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

liliq wrote: »
    Maybe I'm thinking of another one! There is one non isofix one that is neater.. I think. I still have baby brain a year on, so it's definitely possible that I'm dreaming!

Maybe the Graco Duologic 2? Though that is both isofix and non-isofix and it comes in two parts so the infant seat can be clipped in and out quickly regardless of whether it's isofix or seatbelt. It's meant to be one of the most compact ERF seats on the market, IIRC.

We've decided on that one for a number of reasons. It passed the Swedish Plus test, it can go in just about any car due to it's size and seatbelt and isofix options. The infant seat can be taken out easily and even used without the main frame in another car, so it's handy if you are getting a lift with someone else or need to take a taxi. And while it wasn't a consideration in our choosing it, the fact that the infant seat has wheels and an extendible handle to pull it along with may prove useful at some point, especially as we'll be moving home by car and ferry at some point in baby's early weeks.

iguana wrote: »
    Maybe the Graco Duologic 2? Though that is both isofix and non-isofix and it comes in two parts so the infant seat can be clipped in and out quickly regardless of whether it's isofix or seatbelt. It's meant to be one of the most compact ERF seats on the market, IIRC.

We've decided on that one for a number of reasons. It passed the Swedish Plus test, it can go in just about any car due to it's size and seatbelt and isofix options. The infant seat can be taken out easily and even used without the main frame in another car, so it's handy if you are getting a lift with someone else or need to take a taxi. And while it wasn't a consideration in our choosing it, the fact that the infant seat has wheels and an extendible handle to pull it along with may prove useful at some point, especially as we'll be moving home by car and ferry at some point in baby's early weeks.

The difference with the duologic and the besafe is that the headrest in the duologic doesnt adjust and its not forward facing.
    the besafe has an adjustable headrest which is important as kids grow:D and its also forward facing when that time comes.

The difference with the duologic and the besafe is that the headrest in the duologic doesnt adjust and its not forward facing.
    the besafe has an adjustable headrest which is important as kids grow:D and its also forward facing when that time comes.

But the Duologic is never meant to be forward facing, it's rear facing until 18kg, roughly 4 years of age, which is the only way I want my child to face for many years. Our plan is to use the duologic on this baby as long as possible and when we have a second baby get a seat that goes to 25kg rear facing, move the older baby into that. I'm intent on keeping this child and any future child(ren) rear facing until 5-6 as that's the safest way for them to be turned.

• Advertisement

But the Duologic is never meant to be forward facing, it's rear facing until 18kg, roughly 4 years of age, which is the only way I want my child to face for many years. Our plan is to use the duologic on this baby as long as possible and when we have a second baby get a seat that goes to 25kg rear facing, move the older baby into that. I'm intent on keeping this child and any future child(ren) rear facing until 5-6 as that's the safest way for them to be turned.
    the besafe is both rear and forward facing.
    the duologic is only rear facing.

the besafe is both rear and forward facing.
    the duologic is only rear facing.

Which is the only way I want it to face.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

WOW what a brilliant seat? Where did you buy yours, ie is it available in Ireland?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    WOW what a brilliant seat? Where did you buy yours, ie is it available in Ireland?

I ordered mine through carseat.se, as it was the lowest price I could find for that seat, but as far as I know incarsafety in Belfast does them too. For some reason they are called the OY Kilppan Kiss 2 in the UK market but they are the same seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

just a question on the positioning of car seats. we recently bought a people carrier. we have the twins side by side in the back rear facing. in other words one of them is in the middle passenger seat with the iso fix. now, my cousin said this was illegal and i could be done by the guards as both seats have to be behind the front seats in case anything happens. he was trying to point out that the back rests from the front seats would protect the kids in case of danger.
    anyone any thoughts on if he's right or are they ok the way they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your cousin is wrong. When installed correctly, the car seat should never come into contact with the back of the seat in front of it, so it's irrelevant.

He might be getting confused with the older middle two-point seat belts which make it impossible to fit a car seat. If the middle seat is ISOFIX and/or has a 3-point belt, then it's legal.

I always wondered that, I love having the 2 babies facing each other side by side. I can't see a isofix thing behind the middle seat but I cant see any reason why you wouldnt put a baby seat there.

I must ask in monthercare next time. I know its not illegal, but I'd like to know if it is intended by the makers.
    Usually when we have 3 in the car, the middle seat child is using a graco high back booster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some manufacturers actually suggest that the middle back seat is the safest place for the car seat.
    I have a 7 seater and only 2 isofix points I have one forward facing and one rear facing in the 1st row then the middle seat down and a forward facing in the 3rd row and they chat away happily together and pass (throw) teddies to each other which is kind of nice:) when new baby comes the 2 rear facing will be in the middle row and will face the 2 bigger ones in the back for every day and for long journeys the forward facing seat will be in the middle of the 2 rear facing ones.

If i ever get a new car I want 5 isofix points!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I always wondered that, I love having the 2 babies facing each other side by side. I can't see a isofix thing behind the middle seat but I cant see any reason why you wouldnt put a baby seat there.

I must ask in monthercare next time. I know its not illegal, but I'd like to know if it is intended by the makers.
    Usually when we have 3 in the car, the middle seat child is using a graco high back booster.
    The middle seat in my car is narrower than the other two, so I don't know if it's wide enough to accomodate the booster seats, but it would definitely take a rear-facing car seat, strapped in.
    For the boosters, the manufacturer might state a minimum width that the seat needs to be, which could rule out cars with narrow middle seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

its not illegal at all or to do with the car seat manufacturers its actually the safest place in the car as side impacts will not hit the seat directly. The manufacturer only doesnt recomend it if rearfacing the car seat touches the front seats. Also here they recommend you put the child with the least protection in the centre seat.

Many people think its illegal due to when you couldn't install a car seat with a lap belt only but most seats can work around that now. I'm buying my next seat based on whether it can fit in the centre or not. We are also getting one that rearfaces to 45lbs and then can be used ff until 65lbs.

for the boosters some seats need the headrest so they would probably need to go in a side seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

seamus wrote: »
    He might be getting confused with the older middle two-point seat belts which make it impossible to fit a car seat. If the middle seat is ISOFIX and/or has a 3-point belt, then it's legal.

There are actually some car seats when can be used with lap belts, mostly for 0-6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Am seriously considering the Britax Multi Tech 2. Does anyone have experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Posh Boy

Hi All,

Just looking for some help here too. Our eldest needs to move into a high back booster to make room for #2 who is getting too big for the rear facing one. Problem is we don't want to get anything too wide. All the latest ones seem to have these huge side cushions for side impact protection. Great in a crash but useless from a practicality point of view as it then makes the middle of the rear seat unusable. I have narrowed my search down to 3, the Britax Kidfix, Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro or the Jane Montecarlo R1.

Does anyone have any of these and if so how wide are they? If you could post up dimensions that'd be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

An update. I got the multi tech 2 and an delighted with it. Got it in Tony Kealy's and ds is as cost in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Best group one car seat?
    Will be moving her in soon as at almost ten months her legs way too long in maxi cosi! She's v tall!
    Prefer one that's rear and forward facing if poss! Happier with her rear facing for now but want to keep my options open!

I have the Britax first class, I used it rear facing from 13 months till about 20 months. Found it great, but all seat belt group 1 + have the seat belt blocking the way to put baby in.

(baby was very small and underweight, she stayed in the Graco carry tot thing until she was 13 months)

ie:

4d5cb5df.jpg

In this way, iso fix is easier as you always for get the belt is there and get baby caught.

If money was no object I would have bought the maxi cosi one that turns side ways!

I also have a cheaper version from Kiddycare for other halfs car:

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_51_10751_-1_14569_147939_10001_14568

I love it but it is not as easy to reline.

At the moment I'm looking at this for my now 27 month old, so I can move baby in to the First class.:

http://www.toys.ie/Graco-Nautilus-Group-123-Car-Seat-!104349-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=baf14cb9-b485-4568-93e8-1f0ef29f12bd

Any one have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Wmpdd I bought that car seat yest, after both the sales people in mothercare and Halfords seperately told me I could leave it fully rear facing. My little girl is 6months and just 24 pounds so just out of her first car seat!

But googling is telling me I have to turn it forward facing at 9kg... Was your little girl under that still? I specifically said I wanted her rear facing for another while yet :(

And next time ill google before I buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Byzantium4

According to the Britax website the First class can be used rearward facing until 13kg (same as a maxi cosi cabriofix and most other infant carriers) but then it must go forward facing until 18kg. ( http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/first-class-plus-special) So cyning you should get another while out of it rearward facing, I always think 9kg is so tiny to be going forward facing- you're dead right trying to keep her that was as long as possible.

I would definitely go back to wherever you bought the seat and complain that they gave you the wrong information- it's as clear as day on the Britax website what the weight restrictions are so there's no excuse for them telling you the wrong thing just to make a sale!

hi, my little girl only 13kg at age 2.
    She was went front facing around 16 months so i guess she was about 10kg. Little man is now in the first class rear facing at 10 months and about 7.5 kg.

• Advertisement

Contact Britax directly ,the 9kg might be just an option rather then a safety rule.

My eldest was over 3 before she got a forward facing seat and my nearly 2 year old is happily rear facing but my nearly 2 year old only weighs about 24lb.

Advertisement