Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yeah if the two way elite uses tethers for the seat rails that's the first thing to check. We're looking at the two way and the mobi, mothercare are checking about the tethers with them. Carseat.se is another good place to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Ah thanks, yeah kind of clueless about these things, so that's why I'm going to try out this girls one in my car before buying. Such a pity there aren't a few places doing them down here.

Space is an issue for me, because my sister in law minds my daughter 2 days a week & when I have a 2nd child, she'll have her son & my 2. By the time she's minding them, her little fella will be 5.5, my daughter will be 3 & new baby will be 1 all going well. Not sure if it's even feasible to fit 3 car seats across in her car, but the TWE is one of the slimmer rearfacing seats, hence why I'm going for it. If they don't fit, then 1 of them may need to go in front with the airbag deactivated, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Not really a question here but if someone is looking for the maxi cosi family fix base, it's reduced to £119.99 at the moment on amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YK51YE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0D9T7A2RG4VGGQ154726&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294 (free shipping to ROI) . Haven't been able to find it cheaper than this at the moment. I've Asked flubit.com to improve, but will need to use parcel motel (if you don't know what these are do a search or check the bargain alert section on boards).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Just been trying to work out the ins and outs of car seat regulations / safety.

My son is only 8 (well in a couple of weeks) but is already 4ft 6 and as far as I can work out according to the regulations, he only has to use child seat / booster up to 4ft 5 or age 12 which ever is reached first.

Now I have the high back Graco seat in the car, it separates into a booster seat as well. up to now I have managed to keep him in the full seat, but he is complaining that he feels like a baby in it.

Does anyone know if there is any difference safety wise at his age between using the high back seat or just the booster by itself? I want to make an informed decision before opening my mouth... as it is he thinks he has to stay in the seat, but I don't want to make him feel/look like a baby if its going to make no difference to his safety.

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

Here is a link that might help you!

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf

From what I know it is weight and height that counts and not age!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Luella Few Gang

My son is 2 1/2 and about 3 1/2 feet tall. Hes 16kg

We have him in a Be Safe Izi X3 forward facing but the problem is that because its so high, he's hitting the car roof.

I need some suggestion about what car seat I can put him in.

TIA

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is one extremely tall 2 year old and is nearly the same height as my tall 4 year old.
    Does your car have a very low ceiling?
    Last year I moved my 4 year hold to a kiddy Guardian fix pro as they were recommended by Which among other places .
    My 2 year old is small so she is still rear facing in the be safe izi .

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is one extremely tall 2 year old and is nearly the same height as my tall 4 year old.
    Does your car have a very low ceiling?
    Last year I moved my 4 year hold to a kiddy Guardian fix pro as they were recommended by Which among other places .
    My 2 year old is small so she is still rear facing in the be safe izi .

we have a megane. Wife is 6'2" so he gets his height from her.
    Is the guardian comfortable? were did you get it.
    Does it recline? Saw it online and it looks nice

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It reclines when attached to iso fix but not when it is only put in with the seatbelt.
    My daughter loves it .
    Amazon was the cheapest place at the time.

It reclines when attached to iso fix but not when it is only put in with the seatbelt.
    My daughter loves it .
    Amazon was the cheapest place at the time.

Waiting on Flubit to come back to me before I decide on where to buy.:D

I was just looking at details on the Besafe Izi we have. Its for up to 18 kg 0r 4 years old.
    He's already 15.5 kg so needs to change whether we like it or not.
    I was talking to Kool Kids in Sligo and they advised the guardian over the cruiser due to his age even though he is tall enough for the cruiser.
    2 1/2 y/olds dont have the sense of a 4 year old.:eek:

• Advertisement

one of the reasons that we choose the Guardian fix because it is really easy to move between cars and could do the 2 year old or the 4 year old.
    The 4 year old doesn't use the bumper anymore and my 2 year old is still very small so keeping her rear facing for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Waiting on Flubit to come back to me before I decide on where to buy.:D

Just wondering what price did you ask flubit to beat? If its more than £200 I suggest you search again. www.kelkoo.co.uk and www.idealo.co.uk are a good place to start (more of those type of websites around) then ask flubit to beat the lowest you find on them...

flyguy wrote: »
    Just wondering what price did you ask flubit to beat? If its more than £200 I suggest you search again. www.kelkoo.co.uk and www.idealo.co.uk are a good place to start (more of those type of websites around) then ask flubit to beat the lowest you find on them...

asked it to beat 200£. Got 184 back with free postage.
    Waiting on a few more today.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Kiddy Guardianfix today through flubbit.com

It was £200(€245) from kiddicare and I got offered £189 (€221) with free shippng to parcel motel.
    It was a €24 saving on the uk site and €94 saving against an irish shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Guest1111

Hello,

Any advice would be great. My 6 month old is a very long baby and weighs about 23lbs. She is too big/long for her Group 0 car seat. I read on the RSA website to 'Only move your child to a forward facing seat once they have exceeded the maximum weight for their rearward-facing seat, or the top of
    their head is higher than the top of the seat.' so I think she can be moved.

We want to get a Group 1-2-3, can anyone let me know what I should be looking for or have any recommendations?

Thanks alot

my 27 month old is 25lb and we have her in the besafe izi x3.
    It gets excellent safety reviews and my bigger girl was in it until she was 3 1/2.

Thanks Moonbeam, I will check it out!

my 27 month old is 25lb and we have her in the besafe izi x3.
    It gets excellent safety reviews and my bigger girl was in it until she was 3 1/2.

the Besafe is a great seat but expensive. we had junior in it from about 7 months. He was rear facing to just over 2.
    He's now 2 1/2 and we have to get a bigger car seat.
    Hes 2 1/2 and 104 cm tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Byzantium4

Guest1111 wrote: »
    Hello,

Any advice would be great. My 6 month old is a very long baby and weighs about 23lbs. She is too big/long for her Group 0 car seat. I read on the RSA website to 'Only move your child to a forward facing seat once they have exceeded the maximum weight for their rearward-facing seat, or the top of
    their head is higher than the top of the seat.' so I think she can be moved.

We want to get a Group 1-2-3, can anyone let me know what I should be looking for or have any recommendations?

Thanks alot

Is her head crowning right over the top of the seat yet? She's fine if it's just her feet, it's the head you want to watch, if her head is still below I'd say keep her in her group 0 for as long as you can! The only group 123 seat out there that I know of is the Britax Evolva, it's great as a second seat but doesn't have much of a recline and so they're sitting very upright in it, especially since yours is still only 6 months old she probably sleeps even on short journeys so might be worth your while getting a Group 1 seat with a recline. I'd say call into Kealy's or somewhere and get them to look at her and see the seats, you don't really know till you see how the seat fits in your car anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We have this:

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/babies-r-us-exclusives/car-seats/graco-nautilus-3-in-1-car-seat-breakers-1766778-3980774

Its handy as I can put both kids in it and my neices etc if I have to. BUT the recline is nothing. I installed it in the car fully reclined and have never noticed a recline at all.

Think Bus Eireann seat!

Other than that I love it and she does too.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the replies, her head is nearly over the top so I wanted to do some research first.

tatranska
    I think I would like a forward facing one next.

Byzantium4
    I dont want the expense of buying a Group 1 and then to have to buy another one. I want this to last a few years. Argos have a few varieties of Group 123
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/14417572/c_1/1|category_root|Nursery|14417537/c_2/2|14417537|Car+and+booster+seats|14417572/r_001/4|Car+seat+group|Group+1-2-3|1.htm

I was wondering what to look out for. I saw a couple of seats and one had arm rests that go up and down while another had stationary arm rests. Is this important?

wmpdd3
    I never thought to look for recline, thanks. I will have a look at the other features too.

Thanks again to everyone!

Does anyone have any experience with Fisher-Price Safe Voyage Group 1-2-3 Car Seat?

Thanks a million for the replies, her head is nearly over the top so I wanted to do some research first.

tatranska
    I think I would like a forward facing one next.

Thanks again to everyone!

research has shown that the longer a child is rear facing, the safer for the child.

there are a number of Extended Rear facing seats, e.g be safe izi x3.

The are generally suitable up to 4 years old.

Some are solely rear facing. the besafe izi is also forward facing, hence the advantage of it.

Its just a personal preference - thanks

Its just a personal preference - thanks
    At 6 months old your child is too young to be forward facing

At 6 months old your child is too young to be forward facing

Thanks for your opinion.

Thanks for your opinion.

Normally they are but, legally they just have to be over the weight requirement.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I was looking at this 123 group for when she grows out of the Matrix (not long now!!)
    http://eurobabynursery.com/ie/product/cosatto/zoomi-123-bloom

Thoughts?
    She's nearly one and weighs about 22 lbs, very long.

Normally they are but, legally they just have to be over the weight requirement.

I wouldnt trust that a 6 month old would have developed enough neck strength to be safe forward facing

Below taken from http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/what-is-erf/

annikahiway.jpgYou might have heard of ERF which stands for Extended Rear Facing. Depending on where you live this might mean completely different things. Unfortunately, most parents choose to turn children forward facing far too early. In most countries, keeping a child rear facing longer than 12 months would be considered extended rear facing.
    In Sweden, where the recommendation is to keep children rear facing until age 4, ERF is rarely discussed. Rear facing until age 4 is almost a default behavior by parents. Since 1965, but mainly during the past 25 years, parents have been told to keep their children rear facing to save lives. Fortunately, most have listened. Although the European law permits forward facing at any age it’s unusual to see children under age three forward facing in Sweden. Most other European countries, except for Norway, are not following these recommendations and have a long way to go.
    Information to parents have paid off and most are doing a great job keeping children safe
    From 1992 through June 1997, only 9 children properly restrained rear-facing died in motor vehicle crashes in Sweden, and all of these involved catastrophic crashes with severe intrusion and few other survivors.
    How long should I keep my child rear facing? It’s a common question with an easy anser. For as long as possible. Depending on car seat used this might mean 18 months or 5 years. Rear facing is ALWAYS better, even for adults like you and me.

• Advertisement

I was looking at this 123 group for when she grows out of the Matrix (not long now!!)
    http://eurobabynursery.com/ie/product/cosatto/zoomi-123-bloom

Thoughts?
    She's nearly one and weighs about 22 lbs, very long.

Try this as an alternative
    http://www.kiddy.de/en/childrens-car-seats/9months-12years/kiddy-guardianfix-pro-2.html

I have one ordered from the UK, thanks to Moonbeam €95 cheaper than here:D

Advertisement