Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Academies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

There are an awful lot of fullbacks on that list.
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    Taking the depth and age grade of the senior side into account, I think Leinster are well covered other than second row (obviously) and back three (surprisingly). Some back three prospects have failed to deliver thus far also.

Everywhere else is fairly handy.
    Outside centre seems a little light to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd expect a big income of backs over the next two seasons.
    My expectations for the next Academy batch

Peter Dooley (Loose-Head Prop)
    Max McFarland (Wing/Full-Back)
    Cian Kelleher (Full-Back)
    Adam Byrne (Centre/Full-Back/Wing)
    Rory O'Loughlin (Centre)
    Billy Dardis (Full-Back)
    Ross Molony (Lock)
    Thomas Daly (Inside Centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hagz wrote: »

Rory O'Loughlin (Centre)
    Billy Dardis (Full-Back)
    Ross Molony (Lock)

One I'm really interested in is the fly-half for the Leinster U18's this season (Byrne I think?). I don't know what the rest of his game is like, but he sounded like a hell of a kicker from reports, and that's one of those things you would assume is transferable no matter what level you play at. Is he expected to join the Leinster Academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Rory O'Loughlin (Centre)
    Billy Dardis (Full-Back)
    Ross Molony (Lock)

Not Brewer no?

Tox56 wrote: »
    One I'm really interested in is the fly-half for the Leinster U18's this season (Byrne I think?). I don't know what the rest of his game is like, but he sounded like a hell of a kicker from reports, and that's one of those things you would assume is transferable no matter what level you play at. Is he expected to join the Leinster Academy?

Ross Byrne of St.Michael's. I'd say he will eventually get into the academy. Fly-Half is a bit of a light area. Yes there's Holland and McKeon but I don't see either being that great. I think next season would be a year or two too early for Byrne though.
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Not Brewer no?

Very possible. I just was thinking that Thomas Daly is a bit of a shoe in and if you couple that with their experiment of Coghlan at 12, they may want to hold off on Brewer for another year.

That list is most likely very different from what the actual one will be, although I do think that Adam Byrne, Thomas Daly and Billy Dardis are pretty much shoe-ins.

• Advertisement

Ross Byrne of St.Michael's. I'd say he will eventually get into the academy. Fly-Half is a bit of a light area. Yes there's Holland and McKeon but I don't see either being that great. I think next season would be a year or two too early for Byrne though.

Very possible. I just was thinking that Thomas Daly is a bit of a shoe in and if you couple that with their experiment of Coghlan at 12, they may want to hold off on Brewer for another year.

That list is most likely very different from what the actual one will be, although I do think that Adam Byrne, Thomas Daly and Billy Dardis are pretty much shoe-ins.

Byrne and Daly are both finished school right?

Byrne and Daly are both finished school right?

Byrne isn't. Daly is a Youths player but yes, he's been playing in the Ulster Bank League for Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Byrne isn't. Daly is a Youths player but yes, he's been playing in the Ulster Bank League for Lansdowne.
    Adam Byrne is, which is who I think he's referring to

Wow-played for Leinster A and still in school? Can't remember too many people doing that?

Thought you meant Ross Byrne, the out-half I commented about. Adam Byrne is a youths player as well and plays with UCD.

• Advertisement

Thought you meant Ross Byrne, the out-half I commented about. Adam Byrne is a youths player as well and plays with UCD.

Ah right sorry my mistake. What age is Daly?

Have no idea. 19? He's playing u20s this year and I'm pretty sure he's not eligible again.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Think Thomas Daly, Adam Byrne, Harrison Brewer and Billy Dardis are locks for the academy next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Have no idea. 19? He's playing u20s this year and I'm pretty sure he's not eligible again.
    Daly is not eligible for u20s again next season so is 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wouldn't mind Brewer being held off a bit longer. The chap is already getting unfairly hyped and I'd hate to see him launched into any senior team without the experience.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Brewer isn't that good to be honest. I think most of the hype isn't helped by who his dad is.

Macken looked better at school's level and look how he's turned out.

Higher wrote: »
    Macken looked better at school's level and look how he's turned out.

I still think Macken is a serious talent, he's only 21. His problem is just his defence and obviously if you're playing 13 that can be glaring. But I wouldn't include him in a list of players who hasn't delivered on hype. Still a lot more opportunities to come his way, especially when the BOD hangs up his boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I still think Macken is a serious talent, he's only 21. His problem is just his defence and obviously if you're playing 13 that can be glaring. But I wouldn't include him in a list of players who hasn't delivered on hype. Still a lot more opportunities to come his way, especially when the BOD hangs up his boots.

Honestly I think he's one of these players who will have to go to England for consistent starting game time.

its_phil wrote: »
    Honestly I think he's one of these players who will have to go to England for consistent starting game time.

Maybe, but O'Driscoll is retiring after the Lions so that means he only has to compete with O'Malley. Take into account that D'Arcy will likely retire at the end of the 2013/14 season and that leaves Leinster with a lot of space in the mid-field.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

a lot of space but Macken doesn't look like he will be able to take advantage of it, big and fast but provided little else yet apart from poor defense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Maybe, but O'Driscoll is retiring after the Lions so that means he only has to compete with O'Malley. Take into account that D'Arcy will likely retire at the end of the 2013/14 season and that leaves Leinster with a lot of space in the mid-field.
    I think Leinster are going to need a NIQ in the center with BoD and Darcy gone

If Macken could go to England and get first team Rugby somewhere for two seasons he might be able to come home and offer a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think Leinster are going to need a NIQ in the center with BoD and Darcy gone

If Macken could go to England and get first team Rugby somewhere for two seasons he might be able to come home and offer a good option

EOM-McFadden?

And there's always the possibility of Luke Fitz moving in there or even Madigan, plus young players like Macken, O'Shea, Reid, Coughlan...at least 1 of whom is bound to come good.

I suppose it depends who the NIQ is, and what their age profile is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

mackens still only 22 so hold your horses before calling him a complete failure. harrison brewer on the other hand is only 18 and id say about 95% of the people on here saying how great he is have never seen him play

roycon wrote: »
    mackens still only 22 so hold your horses before calling him a complete failure. harrison brewer on the other hand is only 18 and id say about 95% of the people on here saying how great he is have never seen him play

+1

He's 21, a year younger than O'Dea and two years younger than Barnes. It feels like he's been around for a while because he got his first cap at 18, but he's still a kid. Who knows how good he may become when the players I've mentioned are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

roycon wrote: »

No one is saying he is a complete failure. I think people are saying he needs to go get consistent game time somewhere and I'm sure an Aviva team would take him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think McFadden could well become a full-time 12 when D'Arcy retires. Then we could end up keeping Goodman or even bringing back Sheridan (or even McSharry!) as depth. I don't think any youngster will be pushed into the team.

We also have Collie O'Shea and Noel Reid, both of whom are developing and improving all the time. Loads of options that could potentially come good.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I think McFadden could well become a full-time 12 when D'Arcy retires. Then we could end up keeping Goodman or even bringing back Sheridan (or even McSharry!) as depth. I don't think any youngster will be pushed into the team.

We also have Collie O'Shea and Noel Reid, both of whom are developing and improving all the time. Loads of options that could potentially come good.

Noel Reid is far too flakey. Jordan Coughlan will be the future 12 as it is currently. But this could change very quickly. Don't be surprised if Leinster unearth a superstar in the schools cup within the next 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

if we wanna discuss the future Leinster center's pour yourselves a cuppa and read this article by the demented mole. Really excellent piece on Leinster's future in the centre

http://dementedmole.com/2012/09/13/the-dying-days-of-the-diddymen/

actually the part he does on Macken is excellent, his weakness in tackling by offering his inside shoulder thus ceding gainline and the possibility of an offload to the attacker.

As far as schools rugby goes Billy Dardis is meant to be playing at the Luke Fitz, Gordon Darcy SCT level. Havent seen him play but heard from a good source.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Is BOD really retiring after the Lions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Macken is 21 (not 22 until next summer). He has 7 appearances including 5 starts this season and it's only November. Why on earth he'd want to move to get game time is beyond me. He's still raw and developing. He has the materials to be a very good centre. He has an offload, good gas, decent feet and is a big bloke too. If he can sort out his defensive issues in terms of allowing space to the carrier to make side on tackles instead of using his power to drive into the carrier, he'll be a very good option.

Talk of him not having made the grade at 21 is completely farcical. Has Jack McGrath not made the grade at 23? Or Andrew Conway or John Cooney who are same age as Macken? Or should Macken be considered differently because there's no stand out 13 at Leinster?

Advertisement