Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Academies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

GerM wrote: »
    Macken is 21 (not 22 until next summer). He has 7 appearances including 5 starts this season and it's only November. Why on earth he'd want to move to get game time is beyond me. He's still raw and developing. He has the materials to be a very good centre. He has an offload, good gas, decent feet and is a big bloke too. If he can sort out his defensive issues in terms of allowing space to the carrier to make side on tackles instead of using his power to drive into the carrier, he'll be a very good option.

Talk of him not having made the grade at 21 is completely farcical. Has Jack McGrath not made the grade at 23? Or Andrew Conway or John Cooney who are same age as Macken? Or should Macken be considered differently because there's no stand out 13 at Leinster?

It's always the same with any hyped Leinster young players - if they dont instantly become first team regulars they are either not up to it or should be moved somewhere else for gametime but if we're talking about a young player at another province then they should bide their time, earn the jersey etc. It's an unfair pressure put on Leinster young players compared to young players from other provinces, especially Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

roycon wrote: »
    mackens still only 22 so hold your horses before calling him a complete failure. harrison brewer on the other hand is only 18 and id say about 95% of the people on here saying how great he is have never seen him play

Brewer is actually still only 17.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

GerM wrote: »
    Macken is 21 (not 22 until next summer). He has 7 appearances including 5 starts this season and it's only November. Why on earth he'd want to move to get game time is beyond me. He's still raw and developing. He has the materials to be a very good centre. He has an offload, good gas, decent feet and is a big bloke too. If he can sort out his defensive issues in terms of allowing space to the carrier to make side on tackles instead of using his power to drive into the carrier, he'll be a very good option.

Talk of him not having made the grade at 21 is completely farcical. Has Jack McGrath not made the grade at 23? Or Andrew Conway or John Cooney who are same age as Macken? Or should Macken be considered differently because there's no stand out 13 at Leinster?

John Cooney is 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bamboozle wrote: »
    if we wanna discuss the future Leinster center's pour yourselves a cuppa and read this article by the demented mole. Really excellent piece on Leinster's future in the centre

http://dementedmole.com/2012/09/13/the-dying-days-of-the-diddymen/

actually the part he does on Macken is excellent, his weakness in tackling by offering his inside shoulder thus ceding gainline and the possibility of an offload to the attacker.

As far as schools rugby goes Billy Dardis is meant to be playing at the Luke Fitz, Gordon Darcy SCT level. Havent seen him play but heard from a good source.

Great article.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Brewer is actually still only 17.

Speaking of Brewer, anyone know what Mike Brewer is up to these days? I assume as his son is still in Terenure he's been based in Ireland since leaving Sale?

Great article about by Demented Mole, cheers for the link. Lunchtime reading.

• Advertisement

Winters wrote: »
    Speaking of Brewer, anyone know what Mike Brewer is up to these days? I assume as his son is still in Terenure he's been based in Ireland since leaving Sale?

Great article about by Demented Mole, cheers for the link. Lunchtime reading.

Think he is back in NZ. Think he set up a non-related rugby business there.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

just as a matter of interest were was harrison brewer born????

just as a matter of interest were was harrison brewer born????

No idea. His mum is Irish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Quint2010 wrote: »
    No idea. His mum is Irish though.

oh rite just wondering how irish was he thought he was 100% kiwi and was just in school here while his dad was coaching here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

Higher wrote: »
    John Cooney is 23.

according to his facebook he was born on the 1st of may 1990 which would make him 22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Age profile of the Academies at the end of 2012.

Lock Philip Donnellan(24)
    Fullback Ricky Andrew(23)
    Wing/Fullback Darren Hudson(22)
    Outhalf Noel Reid(22)
    Flanker/Lock Ben Marshall(22)
    Loosehead Jack O'Connell(22)

Wing/Fullback Darren Moroney(22)
    Lock Brian Hayes(22)
    Hooker Duncan Casey(22)
    Loosehead James Cronin(22)

Lock James Simpson(22)
    Wing Andrew Boyle(21)
    Centre Colm O'Shea(21)
    Flanker Jordi Murphy(21)
    Hooker David Doyle(21)
    Tighthead Martin Moore(21)

Loosehead/Hooker James Treacy(21)
    Centre Corey Hircock(21)
    Centre Cian Bohane(21)
    Outhalf Johnny Holland(21)
    Lock Cathal O'Flaherty(21)

Flanker David Heffernan(21)
    Hooker Kevin O'Byrne(21)
    Loosehead Finlay Bealham(21)

Tighthead Conor Carey(21)
    Tighthead Tadhg Furlong(20)
    Outhalf Cathal Marsh(20)
    Wing Sam Coughlan Murray(20)
    Centre Jordan Coughlan(20)
    Eight Jack Conan(20)
    Flanker Conor Gilsenan(20)
    Lock Tadhg Beirne(20)

Flanker Shane Buckley(20)
    Hooker James Rael(20)
    Hooker Niall Scannell(20)

Flanker Aaron Conneely(20)
    Lock Daniel Qualter(20)
    Wing Conor Finn(20)
    Outhalf Jack Carty(20)
    Fullback Shane Layden(20)
    Outhalf Tadgh Leader(20)
    Scrum Half Kieran Marmion(20)
    Flanker Jonathan Gardiner(20)
    Wing Steve Macauley(20)
    Tighthead Peter Reilly(20)
    Scrum Half Marcus Walsh(20)

Flanker Neil Faloon(20)
    Loosehead Kyle McCall(20)
    Hooker Jonny Murphy(20)
    Fullback Peter Nelson(20)
    Lock Alan O'Connor(20)
    Eight Sean O'Connell(20)

Hooker Brian Byrne(19)
    Loosehead Ed Byrne(19)
    Lock Gavin Thornbury(19)
    Scrum Half Luke McGrath(19)
    Flanker Josh Van Der Flier(19)

Fullback Darren Sweetnam(19)
    Centre Harry McNulty(19)
    Scrum Half Brian Haugh(19)
    Flanker Ryan Murphy(19)

Tighthead Jamie Dever(19)
    Lock Ultan Dilane(19)
    Centre/Fullback Robbie Henshaw(19)
    Fullback Darragh Leader(19)

Tighthead Jake Caulfield(19)
    Centre Chris Farrell(19)
    Flanker Conor Joyce(19)
    Outhalf Stuart Olding(19)

Eight Jack O'Donoghue(18)
    Flanker Dan Leavy(18)* youngest player in the academy system

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

goreyguy wrote: »
    Age profile of the Academies at the end of 2012.

Lock Philip Donnellan(24)
    Fullback Ricky Andrew(23)
    Wing/Fullback Darren Hudson(22)
    Outhalf Noel Reid(22)
    Flanker/Lock Ben Marshall(22)
    Loosehead Jack O'Connell(22)
    Wing/Fullback Darren Moroney(22)
    Lock Brian Hayes(22)
    Hooker Duncan Casey(22)
    Loosehead James Cronin(22)
    Lock James Simpson(22)
    Wing Andrew Boyle(21)
    Centre Colm O'Shea(21)
    Flanker Jordi Murphy(21)
    Hooker David Doyle(21)
    Tighthead Martin Moore(21)
    Loosehead/Hooker James Treacy(21)
    Centre Corey Hircock(21)
    Centre Cian Bohane(21)
    Outhalf Johnny Holland(21)
    Lock Cathal O'Flaherty(21)
    Flanker David Heffernan(21)
    Hooker Kevin O'Byrne(21)
    Loosehead Finlay Bealham(21)
    Tighthead Conor Carey(21)
    Tighthead Tadhg Furlong(20)
    Outhalf Cathal Marsh(20)
    Wing Sam Coughlan Murray(20)
    Centre Jordan Coughlan(20)
    Eight Jack Conan(20)
    Flanker Conor Gilsenan(20)
    Lock Tadhg Beirne(20)
    Flanker Shane Buckley(20)
    Hooker James Rael(20)
    Hooker Niall Scannell(20)
    Flanker Aaron Conneely(20)
    Lock Daniel Qualter(20)
    Wing Conor Finn(20)
    Outhalf Jack Carty(20)
    Fullback Shane Layden(20)
    Outhalf Tadgh Leader(20)
    Scrum Half Kieran Marmion(20)
    Flanker Jonathan Gardiner(20)
    Wing Steve Macauley(20)
    Tighthead Peter Reilly(20)
    Scrum Half Marcus Walsh(20)
    Flanker Neil Faloon(20)
    Loosehead Kyle McCall(20)
    Hooker Jonny Murphy(20)
    Fullback Peter Nelson(20)
    Lock Alan O'Connor(20)
    Eight Sean O'Connell(20)
    Hooker Brian Byrne(19)
    Loosehead Ed Byrne(19)
    Lock Gavin Thornbury(19)
    Scrum Half Luke McGrath(19)
    Flanker Josh Van Der Flier(19)
    Fullback Darren Sweetnam(19)
    Centre Harry McNulty(19)
    Scrum Half Brian Haugh(19)
    Flanker Ryan Murphy(19)
    Tighthead Jamie Dever(19)
    Lock Ultan Dilane(19)
    Centre/Fullback Robbie Henshaw(19)
    Fullback Darragh Leader(19)
    Tighthead Jake Caulfield(19)
    Centre Chris Farrell(19)
    Flanker Conor Joyce(19)
    Outhalf Stuart Olding(19)
    Eight Jack O'Donoghue(18)
    Flanker Dan Leavy(18)* youngest player in the academy system

jon gardiner is a lock/8. Big lad with experience at a very high level in the tigers academy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jon gardiner is a lock/8. Big lad with experience at a very high level in the tigers academy

Different players, Jon Gardiner at Tigers is a welsh man who used to be with Scarlets

Jonathan Gardiner is a Connacht man just out of school and into the academy

Different players, Jon Gardiner at Tigers is a welsh man who used to be with Scarlets

no theyre the same person,connacht have just signed him from the Tigers academy because he's irish qualified through his parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Ciaran its the same player. Gardiner was in both Leicester and the Scarlets academies before joining Connacht

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ormond lad wrote: »
    Ciaran its the same player. Gardiner was in both Leicester and the Scarlets academies before joining Connacht

ok my mistake thanks for the correction, interesting to hear

Hagz wrote: »
    +1

He's 21, a year younger than O'Dea and two years younger than Barnes. It feels like he's been around for a while because he got his first cap at 18, but he's still a kid. Who knows how good he may become when the players I've mentioned are gone.

Whatever happened to the Christians centre Cian O'Halloran?
    Played Irish schools then vanished.I must say I was very impressed with him and followed his career closely,I always thought he would go onto to secure a contract,can anyone shed some light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Whatever happened to the Christians centre Cian O'Halloran?
    Played Irish schools then vanished.I must say I was very impressed with him and followed his career closely,I always thought he would go onto to secure a contract,can anyone shed some light on this?
    Playing with Cork Con 21s. Not too sure if he has played UBL with their 1st team

ormond lad wrote: »
    Playing with Cork Con 21s. Not too sure if he has played UBL with their 1st team

I heard he had left Cork and gone to UCD? Hopefully munster will pick him up
    Must have been mistaken.
    thanks Ormond,as ever you remain an oracle of knowledge on underage players.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

probable leinster academy 13/14/15 next season: 688394.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Cracking player Adam Byrne, I hope that he does get a contract. Looked good at 13 for the Irish clubs last year. They had some great backs in that team. Hope that he goes straight to the Irish 20's this year.

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Cracking player Adam Byrne, I hope that he does get a contract. Looked good at 13 for the Irish clubs last year. They had some great backs in that team. Hope that he goes straight to the Irish 20's this year.

He's in the squad so far anyway and in the leinster sub academy

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Like most people on hear i constantly read about how Harrison Brewer, Billy Dardis and to a lesser extent Greg O' Shea
    are seriously talented players. I've never seen any of these players play and apart from positions would have no idea about there main attributes. Can any one who has actually seen any of these live please inform me. Or are they just young players been overhyped.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Like most people on hear i constantly read about how Harrison Brewer, Billy Dardis and to a lesser extent Greg O' Shea
    are seriously talented players. I've never seen any of these players play and apart from positions would have no idea about there main attributes. Can any one who has actually seen any of these live please inform me. Or are they just young players been overhyped.

I've also heard about Billy Dardis (obviously I've heard about Brewer) but I don't know anything about what position he plays???

Brewer was a no 8 converted to centre last season. Big physical guy, great hands and side step. Not blessed with blistering pace tho. Still learning the position I would say. Greg O'Shea on the other hand does have blistering pace and is a fantastic footballer and out and out try scorer. He plays on either wing.
    Higher wrote: »
    I've also heard about Billy Dardis (obviously I've heard about Brewer) but I don't know anything about what position he plays???

Dardis is a full back who starred in the inter pro series. Very like Conway-he is a devastating counter attacker with a wonderful shimmy and side step.

All three players played for Ireland Schools last year and are eligible to play again this year. Of the 3 Dardis looks to have the most talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

a lot of hype with guys of this age usually..have only seen o shea playing
    very fast being 10.8 100m guy,i don't think he will have the physique for the modern game..

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

backgreen wrote: »
    a lot of hype with guys of this age usually..have only seen o shea playing
    very fast being 10.8 100m guy,i don't think he will have the physique for the modern game..
    Would he be smaller then Luke O'Dea? If not he might bulk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Would he be smaller then Luke O'Dea? If not he might bulk up.
    he looks to have a slender enough frame,might be hard to bulk...his overall game is no different than a lot of his contempories..he is been selected mainly for his speed in the same way eoin carroll from tralee has been picked for irish youths...carroll is not far behind o shea on pace but his overall game is no great shakes...at schools/youths they pick size in the forwards/speed in the backs and hope to at the skills later,the reverse to what NZ do

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

I hear Billy Dardis is joining Leicester Tigers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

hendo12 wrote: »
    I hear Billy Dardis is joining Leicester Tigers

I hope that's not true. Be a fairly crazy move for him if true.

Advertisement