Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Thread Part III - Insert witty title here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Can someone please explain what the 50 units thing is about. Looks like fun.

I think it's something like this, set up an online account,,,then say you put €500 in. 1 unit = €10 bet. So each tenner you win or lose,,,,you'd be making or losing a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's a way of expressing your weighting on each bet while not revealing any amounts.

Ah I see. Basically a percentage.

Might be worth sticking a hundred quid in the pot and seeing how fast I lose it :p

Ah I see. Basically a percentage.

Might be worth sticking a hundred quid in the pot and seeing how fast I lose it :p

It has it's advantages over the traditional style, you know whether you are up or down, the downside is one could end up betting on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

I'll get into this.

Let's say I have €10 in an online betting account. That €10 equals 50 units. I'd like to wager 50c on a bet and would equal 2.5 units, is this correct?

I'll get into this.

Let's say I have €10 in an online betting account. That €10 equals 50 units. I'd like to wager 50c on a bet and would equal 2.5 units, is this correct?

Yes, that looks right to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'll get into this.

Pretty much. So long as you keep that rate throughout the season it's a great method for measuring the effectiveness of your betting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Savant

Pretty much. So long as you keep that rate throughout the season it's a great method for measuring the effectiveness of your betting

question from a new person,

Is this like "paper betting"?
    I have been betting small amounts, just to see how I survive.
    I know many places have peopless who say they win all the time.
    I don't think its possible, maybe to win & be in profit over a season, yes, that is good, but not to win every bet every week!. thaat is fantasy no?

Please excuse if I am too forward, I would like to bet on the Top14. Not crazy. Just maybe 10 euros a match or something. I would like at the end of the season to maybe not hav elost any money.
    Is this possible?

just simple bets , at 1.91 at the PMU (its like the french newsagents & where you can make bets) Here we are not ablre to go on the internet sites you have in the anglo saxon countries because of Sarkozy & his stupid laws!

thanks for any help you can give

Savant

Savant wrote: »
    question from a new person,

Is this like "paper betting"?
    I have been betting small amounts, just to see how I survive.
    I know many places have peopless who say they win all the time.
    I don't think its possible, maybe to win & be in profit over a season, yes, that is good, but not to win every bet every week!. thaat is fantasy no?

Please excuse if I am too forward, I would like to bet on the Top14. Not crazy. Just maybe 10 euros a match or something. I would like at the end of the season to maybe not hav elost any money.
    Is this possible?

just simple bets , at 1.91 at the PMU (its like the french newsagents & where you can make bets) Here we are not ablre to go on the internet sites you have in the anglo saxon countries because of Sarkozy & his stupid laws!

thanks for any help you can give

Savant

No one wins all the time,,,,,,not even the bookie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I won't be betting this weekend, very difficult to read anything into matches with little to no previous form.

I'm looking forward to see who ye back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Going to avoid the handicaps in France this weekend but I will have a small nibble on the Blue Bulls to cover a 5 point handicap against the Griquas in South Africa at 4/9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

ok, so 5 shiny units on:

267701.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lost earlier so now on 46 units.
    2 units going on Argentina +16 at 2.0

Current balance: 44 units

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Any reason not to back Racing to smash the 17 point cap against Brive?

Hype710 wrote: »
    Any reason not to back Racing to smash the 17 point cap against Brive?

They're not playing at their home ground, but in La Rochelle. I don't know much about Brive and the signings they've made since promotion but Racing's lineup and bench is strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

First day back betting since being obliterated in the last Lions Test. 109% up on the start of the day with only the tryless Savea letting me down. Would have posted earlier but all the manipulating of my bets with Paint takes time. :D

ABs+vs+Wallabies.PNG

In a similar vein to our resident railway expert/Jonah, I've also been a busy (and forgetful) bee betting wise the last few days.
    44iuU.png
    44iE4.png

The rolling accies are a good way to boost the bankroll from a small beginning I've found. In future though I'll try to remember to post them before I get things rolling.

Down to 45 units . Fecking argies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

44 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I have a question regarding online betting... with PaddyPower for example. I don't have an account with anyone, but I was thinking it could be handy... I'm assuming that you have deposit money before getting free signup bets or anything? My real question is via what methods can you deposit money at the start? I do not have a credit card or paypal account for example.

With Paddy Power, you can walk into a shop and deposit money into your account. I'm sure the other bookies with physical shops do the same.

• Advertisement

Ok, just put 10 units on SA to win the rugby championship at 4/1

Argentina are 275/1 and they have nearly as much chance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Those units aren't going to last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

With Paddy Power, you can walk into a shop and deposit money into your account. I'm sure the other bookies with physical shops do the same.

Cool, thanks! And I'm just wondering, do you know if you can set up an account online without making an initial deposit, and depositing money after?

I'm pretty sure that you can open an account online without an initial lodgement but it's a while since I did it. You should sort yourself out with a PayPal a/c though as it makes the whole process much simpler - for me anyway.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks! And I'm just wondering, do you know if you can set up an account online without making an initial deposit, and depositing money after?

Definitely

They aren't going to be fussy about how they get your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Paddy power and other similar places are blocked by my ISP. Feck sake.

Argentina are 275/1 and they have nearly as much chance. :D

Just think there's a bit of value in it. Would still see nz as favourites but think sa have a decent side right now and are capable of beating the ab's especially with carter out and now mccaw.

I'm pretty sure that you can open an account online without an initial lodgement but it's a while since I did it. You should sort yourself out with a PayPal a/c though as it makes the whole process much simpler - for me anyway.

Paypal is handier than depositing in shops I find, there's nearly always a massive headache when you try to withdraw in a shop.
    Paddy power and other similar places are blocked by my ISP. Feck sake.

Bloody hell, what kind of nanny ISP are you on

• Advertisement

So it begins....

Bank: 50 units
    • 1.5 units (10/11) Perpignan -7
    • 1 unit (10/11) Bordeaux Begles scr
    • 1 unit (10/11) New Zealand -14
    • .5 units (10/11) Clermont -8
    • .25 units (10/11) Argentina +14
    • .25 units (7/2) Racing Métro to win
    New Bank after bets: 45.5 units