Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sullivlo wrote: »
    Yeah the girls are pretty psyched at the opportunity. They have never played them. They would be expected to progress from the group even with NZ there.

The women's World Cup has an odd format. They play right down to 11/12 play offs! Will post more tomorrow after I've had a chance to refresh up on it.
    If they have ranking playoffs like that then womens world cup is the same format as the mens u20 world cup.
    group of 4. after group stage top 4 play semi's, next four play 5th-8th ranking playoffs and last 4 play 9th-12th playoffs.
    Gives all countries more games and something to play for no matter what happens in group stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

If they have ranking playoffs like that then womens world cup is the same format as the mens u20 world cup.
    group of 4. after group stage top 4 play semi's, next four play 5th-8th ranking playoffs and last 4 play 9th-12th playoffs.
    Gives all countries more games and something to play for no matter what happens in group stage.

That's the one! Yeah they play lots of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Pic not working. Linked from gmail so it won't.

Try this
    wimminsrugby_zpsbcdd8032.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Try this
    wimminsrugby_zpsbcdd8032.jpg

Nice :)

I've a few pics. Will try post them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Two questions:
    1. Just to compare, what did the Irish women beat Scotland by last year?
    2. When and where is the women's world cup? Is there a calendar of the fixtures on-line!
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

feargale wrote: »
    Two questions:
    2. When and where is the women's world cup? Is there a calendar of the fixtures on-line!
    Thanks.
    Last year they won 30-3.
    Womens world cup is in August in France. Games in Marcoussis(FRU hq) then final stages in Paris but no fixtures available yet

feargale wrote: »
    Two questions:
    Thanks.

30-3 but to put it into perspective Scotland had a lot of new girls last night. It was a fantastic win all the same. Record score for the girls.

Last year they beat Italy 10-7 (or similar) in the 6n but 36-0 in a warm up match.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

30-3 but to put it into perspective Scotland had a lot of new girls last night. It was a fantastic win all the same. Record score for the girls.

Last year they beat Italy 10-7 (or similar) in the 6n but 36-0 in a warm up match.

The Italian game last year was in pretty awful conditions though IIRC. Great win last night. Didn't get to see it unfortunately but for a side that have hardly seen each other all year that's a good result regardless of the opposition.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The Italian game last year was in pretty awful conditions though IIRC. Great win last night. Didn't get to see it unfortunately but for a side that have hardly seen each other all year that's a good result regardless of the opposition.

Oh definitely. Not trying to take away from the win at all. It was fantastic!

While it's understandable that they want to concentrate on the Six Nations and the World Cup this year, it will be a shame if they pass up on the Sevens at Rio 2016. The IRB and the OCI are supportive, and an Olympic medal is not unthinkable.

• Advertisement

They are still entering 7's tournaments. The majority of the 7's squad are not a part of the 6N squad. The ladies 7's team will compete at events to warm up during the year.

France v England women's game on sky sports 3 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Interesting results so far. France beat England (again ;)) 18 - 6 and Wales were beaten by Italy 11 - 12. If I remember correctly, Italy were strong last year too.

Ireland Women top of the table as well! Keep up the good work ladies.

The results at the weekend completely blow open the competition.

Historically Italy are not the strongest. I know we only just beat them last year but the conditions were appalling. A few weeks ago Ireland beat Italy by 30+ points in a warm up game.

It will make for an interesting few match ups. And Ireland will take comfort from France beating England - a) it shows they are beatable (if they shut Alphonsi down, England lose a lot of their attacking strength) and b) even if Ireland lose to England, the championship is still within reach based on points difference.

Irish womens squad announced for the Atlanta 7's

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/30663.php
    The Ireland Women's Olympic Sevens squad to participate in the Atlanta Rugby Sevens event on the 15th - 16th February as part of the 2013/14 IRB Women's Sevens World Series - has been named.
    The squad includes three new players who have been identified as part of the IRFU's on-going talent identification programme.
    The programme, which is open to the wider athletic and team sport community, offers elite athletes the opportunity to join an Olympic programme in what is a new and exciting international female sport.

Ireland have been drawn in a strong group in Pool B alongside New Zealand, England and The Netherlands and Aisling Naughton, Aoife Doyle, Elaine Ryan, Laura Walsh, Megan Williams, Nicola Cronin and Susan Vaughan travel to the USA to make their international sevens debuts.

Head Coach, Jon Skurr said "A lot of hard work has gone in to get us to this point so far. It's a big year for Irish women's rugby, there's a lot going on and one of our jobs is to extend the player base that we've got, so that we've got more people competing, which is why our talent identification process is so important.

"We've got a number of new caps going. It's going to be tough, but I feel we're really going to progress as the season goes on as these players develop their ability to play international rugby at the top level."

Team Captain Shannon Houston said: "It is so exciting and such a privilege to represent Ireland on the international stage. Taking part in the World Series is daunting but we know that by working together and working hard that we can take on anyone."

Ireland Women's Sevens Squad (Atlanta 15/16 February)

1. Aisling Naughton (Talend ID Programme)
    2. Aoife Doyle (Shannon/Munster)
    3. Christine Arthurs (Tralee/Munster)
    4. Claire Keohane (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    5. Elaine Ryan (Talent ID Programme)
    6. Laura O'Mahony (Tralee/Munster)
    7. Laura Walsh (Talent ID Programme)
    8. Megan Williams (Saracens/Exiles)
    9. Niamh Ni Dhroma (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    10. Nicole Cronin (Shannon/Munster)
    11. Nikki Caughey (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    12. Shannon Houston (Blackrock/Leinster)
    13. Siobhan Barrett (Tralee/Munster)
    14. Susan Vaughan (Railway Union/Leinster)

Interesting to see three people selected through the open days. A few new faces too. Just a shame the team is missing some of the fast speedsters from the 15's team!

Irish women beat welsh women 14-6 this eve.

Off to Twickenham for the triple crown!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Irish women beat welsh women 14-6 this eve.

Off to Twickenham for the triple crown!

Just saw some of this on a jerky stream...just couldn't bring myself to go up to Ashbourne on a night like this......great result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just saw some of this on a jerky stream...just couldn't bring myself to go up to Ashbourne on a night like this......great result!

Ah the weather wasn't that bad, got wet in the first half and blown dry in the second.

Was a good game, Ireland could have scored a couple more tries. There were times where faster hands would have had Miller with a huge gap in front of her to score in the corner. Great kicking by briggs both from hand and the tee

vienne86 wrote: »

Yeah the stream was shocking. I was meant to go but am sick so couldn't risk the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The England Ireland game will be shown live on the RTE TV news channel. It kicks off in Twickenham approx 40 minutes after the men's international

• Advertisement

Yeah, I may have bombarded the RTE rugby twitter account last night :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Great news today from RTE -

Women's Six Nations: Ireland Women v England Women (22 Feb, kick-off 6.20pm) will be live on RTÉ Two

Finally, some proper coverage.

Paulw wrote: »

Women's Six Nations: Ireland Women v England Women (22 Feb, kick-off 6.20pm) will be live on RTÉ Two

That's brilliant!

Paulw wrote: »

That's great, but I believe the match starts at 6.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

Interesting to see three people selected through the open days. A few new faces too. Just a shame the team is missing some of the fast speedsters from the 15's team!

Disappointing weekend for the sevens squad:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/sevens/29714.php

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Thud wrote: »
    Disappointing weekend for the sevens squad:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/sevens/29714.php

Really disappointing, I don't understand why they are sending such an inexperienced squad though. I really hope some changes are made before next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Are the women due to play a fixture in Lansdowne Road this six nations or did I just imagine that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I believe that the Rugby 7s (women) have received more funding for Rio than all of our carded athletes put together.
    If this is so then it's a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Really disappointing, I don't understand why they are sending such an inexperienced squad though. I really hope some changes are made before next week!
    Commentator said they were lacking fitness too
    I believe that the Rugby 7s (women) have received more funding for Rio than all of our carded athletes put together.
    If this is so then it's a disgrace!
    The IRFU topped up the 300k the sports council gave to 1m, it's probably a bit more expensive to run a team but that performance doesn't reflect well, improvement needed next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Are the women due to play a fixture in Lansdowne Road this six nations or did I just imagine that?

They play their game against Italy in Lansdowne Road after the Men's game on the 8th March

Advertisement