Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Really disappointing, I don't understand why they are sending such an inexperienced squad though. I really hope some changes are made before next week!
    Because they are focussed on 15's rugby in a world cup year. A lot of the women who would usually play 7's are playing in the 6 nations - Briggs, Miller, O'Brien to name 3. The competition clashes with the 6N. Last year England sacrificed the 6N for the sake of the 7's but are focussed on 15's this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

They play their game against Italy in Lansdowne Road after the Men's game on the 8th March
    ... and tickets are only e10, or included if you're already there for the mens match.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

sullivlo wrote: »
    Because they are focussed on 15's rugby in a world cup year. A lot of the women who would usually play 7's are playing in the 6 nations - Briggs, Miller, O'Brien to name 3. The competition clashes with the 6N. Last year England sacrificed the 6N for the sake of the 7's but are focussed on 15's this year.

Thats not what i meant, I know the 15's girls were asked to choose either 15 or 7s and they have made desicion.

But the squad in atlanta had a girl who only started playing rugby this year!!
    They also sent 3 girls in total who had never even played in 1st division. They have some great players on the extended 7's squad who were left at home.

Apart from Shannon and Claire the rest of the team was pretty green behind the ears!

Speed is obvious crucial in 7s but if the girls cant defend they have no hope!

Thats not what i meant, I know the 15's girls were asked to choose either 15 or 7s and they have made desicion.

They also sent 3 girls in total who had never even played in 1st division. They have some great players on the extended 7's squad who were left at home.

Apart from Shannon and Claire the rest of the team was pretty green behind the ears!

Oh it was the result of the nationwide screening. Of which there were many sessions and no criteria. I guess baptism of fire but there are likely better 7's players out there. They'd be better off recruiting at Kinsale 7's!!!

Oh it was the result of the nationwide screening. Of which there were many sessions and no criteria. I guess baptism of fire but there are likely better 7's players out there. They'd be better off recruiting at Kinsale 7's!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Thud wrote: »
    Commentator said they were lacking fitness too

The IRFU topped up the 300k the sports council gave to 1m, it's probably a bit more expensive to run a team but that performance doesn't reflect well, improvement needed next week.

The IRFU should be paying the full amount themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

The IRFU should be paying the full amount themselves

Why? 7s is an Olympic sport and we are looking to qualify, why shouldn't they get funding from the sports council?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

decisions wrote: »
    Why? 7s is an Olympic sport and we are looking to qualify, why shouldn't they get funding from the sports council?

They have not proved themselves at international level like the athletes MUST do before they get any money

Derval O'Rourke gets 12k

No 7s athlete has come near her level...yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Thud

I'd imagine a lot of is going to infrastructure and set up which are already in place for Athletics and not much directly to the players.
    If they had the 15's players involved this year qualification looked feasible, with the current crew not so much and unlikley they will be one of the seven tier 1 countries in the world series next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

They play their game against Italy in Lansdowne Road after the Men's game on the 8th March
    ... and tickets are only e10, or included if you're already there for the mens match.

That's going to be awesome, it would be amazing if most of the crowd stayed to watch it.

It seems weird that on the same day, tickets can be sold seperately. What if the mens Italian game is a sell out, everyone stays for the second game, and they've sold 10,000 tickets for the womens game? (for arguments sake)

The reason I ask is that I'm not going to the mens game, but wouldn't mind popping along for the womens game, but how are they managing the ticket allocation and will you be able to buy tickets at the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

[Jackass] wrote: »
    That's going to be awesome, it would be amazing if most of the crowd stayed to watch it.

It seems weird that on the same day, tickets can be sold seperately. What if the mens Italian game is a sell out, everyone stays for the second game, and they've sold 10,000 tickets for the womens game? (for arguments sake)

The reason I ask is that I'm not going to the mens game, but wouldn't mind popping along for the womens game, but how are they managing the ticket allocation and will you be able to buy tickets at the ground?

It would be amazing if most of the crowd stayed to watch it but they're obviously not expecting people to if they're selling separate tickets. It will be interesting to see on Saturday how many people stay in Twickenham.

Not sure about tickets at the ground, they're up on ticketmaster at the moment

[Jackass] wrote: »

That's a good question. I had intended on just paying at the gate. Will check now and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Womens team in the Rio 7s drawing 7-7 at h/t with England.

Updates available on IRB website

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Are the Irish womens team payed to play in the 6 nations. Are they compensated for missing work, travelling etc?

Henwin wrote: »
    Are the Irish womens team payed to play in the 6 nations. Are they compensated for missing work, travelling etc?

Are they paid? No. It's an amateur sport. Some are employed by the irfu or the branches for jobs within rugby but they are separate to their role in playing for Ireland.

Does it cost them? No. Their expenses are covered.

They take leave from work at their own expense. Most employers are flexible and allow them to work around their schedule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

I think this weekend and the Italian game will raise the profile for the ladies game alot.

Then it's up to the sisters to do it for themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

As said the 15s girls are not paid but some of the 7s players are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So how is today's set-up going to operate? Seems very unfair on the ladies teams to have to play after the main event of England v Ireland. Fans of the ladies' teams aren't going to be able to get tickets and the stadium will almost certainly empty out after the first match.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So how is today's set-up going to operate? Seems very unfair on the ladies teams to have to play after the main event of England v Ireland. Fans of the ladies' teams aren't going to be able to get tickets and the stadium will almost certainly empty out after the first match.
    Why is it very unfair on the ladies teams?
    They are getting an opportunity to play in Twickenham. As will be the case with the game in the Aviva, Fans of the ladies team's will be able to get tickets and there will be separate tickets for just the women's game. Some people, who bought tickets for mens game, will stay around for the womens game and many will not.

I think it will be beneficial tbh. They will have more people there than they would otherwise. Some people will hmmm and haw about staying and then the Twickenham factor will play out when they remember how horrible it is to get back to London straight after a match! Pints and rugby? Yes please.

• Advertisement

Disappointing to be pushed back over our own line, but we have looked good since.

Great maul there.

Great try.

Very well taken try.

Very well taken try.

And good pressure on the English scrum there too.

Some hit from Murphy there. Felt that.

Aside from that one scrum our pack has looked strong.

They are defiantly doing a good job of stretching us in defense.

I'll take a two point deficit.

They are defiantly doing a good job of stretching us in defense.

I'll take a two point deficit.

It was just a mismatch. They had FB and a winger. We had a prop and a hooker.

It was just a mismatch. They had FB and a winger. We had a prop and a hooker.

I know, but it wasn't the first time we've looked exposed in that position.

• Advertisement

Great break from Miller. Ireland seem to be digging deep to keep in the game. Finding another gear.

The ref is sh1te though.

Advertisement