Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes. I do. You make a statement denigrating players and don't expect to have to back it up?

In that case, I'm free to call it BS and not back that up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fotish

I don't think anyone said that they are not training enough.Also they all put their bodies on the line.

The problem is simple, they are not good enough to compete at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

the Scottish ladies turned professional the same time as the Irish ladies, The Italians and Welsh earlier in 2022.

I think I am right in saying the above, surely they should have done better against the Welsh and Italians and be able to test the Scots.

Forget about England and France as they have alot more resources, why can't they put up better showings against teams whose players are treated by their unions similarly to the Irish girls when it comes to resourcing.

The reason they lost the Italy match is not because of a lack of resources or money or support from the IRFU, it boils down to the simple fact that from 9 to 15 Ireland were poor , 9 and 10 especially were very poor. I have never seen ailsa Hughes play well for Ireland ever. Dannagh obrein is young and might become a decent player for Ireland as she matures but her fitness levels are poor and that Is down to her and no one else. She is at least 2 stone over weight for her height to offer any real threat on the pitch. She is simply too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Augme

The best method for producing skillful and quality athletes, in any sport, is through investment. Invest in developing coaches, invest in providing coaches, invest in equipment, invest in clubs etc.

The IRFU track record in the men's and womens game is, historically, absolutely appaling. You'd struggle to find a more inept organisation in the world. They've gotten a lot better over the last 20 years, couldn't have been much worse either. In the men's game the IRFU basically relied on private secondary schools to produce rugby talent. Outside of that, they generally did **** all themselves to help towards it. Even now, if the Ireland team was made of players who only ever plsyed for a local club we'd be wooden spoon contenders every year.

Girls private secondary schools don't gear themselves towards rugby like the boys ones do. Hence they are in the very unfortunate position of relying on the IRFU not being incompetent at establishing structures for producing talented athletes.

It will take years for the women's team to have a chance, and relying the IRFU to drive that kind of success. I genuinely feel sorry for them. Its like a formula 1 driver being given a lada and told he needs to win with and if he doesn't it's solely his fault.

Post edited by Augme on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Most unions were same about underage. Theres been schools cups in each of the provinces since 1800s/early 1900s. Youths rugby was very hit and miss until much much later.

An iris team comprised of players from clubs alone wouldnt be as strong but it isnt a problem.

Girls private schools not playing rugby isnt a problem or an issue. It will take years for womens team to be successful again and for a lot of reasons.. not simply IRFU and issues around the high performance squad in the irish set up but the clubs system. how players are stockpiled in far too few clubs which affects the rest of the rugby the irish players play beyond the 5/6(when they get them...) internationals a year.

the whole structure of womens rugby needs a change. clubs and where the best players play week in week out. provinces and how many games ayear at that level players get and nationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭minitrue

Seems there has been an update on WXV and our route to WXV 2 just got tougher! 4th in the 6 Nations makes it but 5th will have to play-off against Spain (Rugby Europe Women's Championship winners) to see who gets the second Europe spot. What is even more interesting is the phrasing "The region represented by the team that finishes bottom of WXV 2 at the end of each tournament, will be relegated" as that implies if a European team finishes last it's not that they are relegated but that Europe loses a spot which to me implies finishing 4th in the 6 nations next year would put us in WXV 2! The WXV 3 uses similar wording on promotion so implying we could win WXV 3 but if Spain/Scotland were relegated from WXV 2 we would still have to finish 4th in the 6 nations next year to be sure of a spot in WXV 2 in 2024 (which guarantees a World Cup spot).

I really don't think they have all the details right with this and they certainly are doing a terrible job of promoting it but I still love it. Also interesting they still don't clarify at all how the pools will work. I think we can safely assume they still intend WXV 1 to be 6N Vs P4N but I wonder if they even have a concrete plan for WXV 2 and WXV 3.

The last interesting thing here is that this still really implies that, despite what lots of pundits have said over the last week in particular, there is no "stuck for 2 or 3 years" based on this seasons results. I think the only thing that's actually fixed until after the World Cup is that WXV 1 will be 3 6N Vs 3 P4N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Saw the last 10mins, Christ what an embarrassment. The 15 made a tackle that brought the English player over the line and you'd swear it was a match saving tackle in the last minute of the match judging by her and her teammates reaction, at that stage they were 30+ to 0 down. And all smiles shaking hands at the end of the match. Ffs. As the saying goes, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. If women's sport wants to be treated on par with men's, they need to be better than this dross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

pointless game today. England France is the only game that might have or achieve parity.

absolutely pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I think that’s a very unfair comment to make imo

When the men’s team went professional, they had a similar losing record in the late 90’s as the IRFU delayed the decision to turn pro for as long as possible. In four years 1996-1999 we won three games in the five nations in total. Now they have repeated the mistake again with the women’s team and I suspect if Italy hadn’t gone professional, the Irish ladies would still be amateurs.

Yes the Irish ladies were well beaten again but this time they faced a team well organised and fully professional for a long number of years.

They have a lot of hard work and equally hard decisions in front of them

• Missing that many tackles is a no no
    • Giving away daft penalties repeatedly, changing bind in maul etc
    • obsession with going for tries when a penalty would take the bare look off our score

Those three things are the easier things to get sorted.

The far harder ones are

• low numbers playing rugby, can we afford to have a separate 7’s squad, I know Olympics is important but straddling both is not doing the 15s game any favours
    • player pool split between Ireland and UK so how often outside 6N do they train as a group
    • english club scene seems to be where the Welsh and Scottish players are playing as the standard is higher, do we need to encourage more to move across if the opportunity arises.
    • Picking 18 year olds for debuts in front row to start against professionals in Welsh game is risky at best….are we really that short of looseheads to throw a young player in like that
    • we need to fix the lineout although picking a hooker who was mentioned I think in commentary last week, doesn’t throw for her club, is it helping. And the replacement hooker from the Welsh game is playing great as a number 8. Can Irish rugby afford to leave Cliodhna Moloney out of the squad

This is probably going to be a long road, but I will be cheering them on once more against Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Hopeless again today. Hard to take the whole thing seriously when match reports try to suggest progress in a game where the team didn't even score a point.

Comparisons with the men's team in the late 1990s are wide of the mark, they were never anything close to this bad.

Will be very interesting to see who was behind the handing out of the leaflets in the stand. Awful stuff. Controversy just seems to follow this team around unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Shehal

Credit to the Irish girls for making a contest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Another embarrassment again today. Really is shocking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Regarding sevens I think its right to focus on rugby sevens. Our women's team is actually quiet successful at sevens and I think that winning something is good for raising interest in womens rugby.

The WXV will add an additional window to get the team together as a group every year.

Theres hope that with the Celtic challenge going from 3 to 6 teams next season that there will be a decent standard of domestic professional rugby (here in Wales and in Scotland). That said if we aren't going to pay enough for professional rugby we should be happy if our players pick up professional contracts that makes professional rugby look like a real career.

The story with the hooker not throwing in for her club is that Irish first choice hooker is second choice for her club. The first choice shifts to backrow if she isn't hooker and she keeps the throwing in duties.

I expected Italy to beat Scotland today. With Scotland winning we could beat Scotland next week and still pick up the wooden spoon which would mean WXV 3rd division when the goal has to be to qualify for the second division.

The men’s team won 3 matches out of a possible 16 between 1996 and 1999 in the 5 nations as it was at the time. And one of those wins was by the smallest of margins

Irish rugby was a shambles back then despite having Keith Wood, Paul Wallace, Denis Hickie, Eric Elwood, The Claw, Mick Galway, David Humphrey, Eric Miller etc. We had at the time, a far better calibre of player than is currently available to the women’s team. Not one of the current women’s side would get into the 2015 team that won the last six nations title. The 1990’s men’s team had four players who played for the Lions team against South Africa and won……yet still lost over 75% of the time when playing in green.

Irish men’s rugby has come a long long way since then, and for the women’s team, they have a long road ahead. As another poster mentioned recently, the women’s game don’t have a centuries old rugby tradition in private schools to get the talent.

The road for women’s rugby will be longer as a result and the IRFU insistence on domestic only contracts doesn’t really help. The errors made today can be rectified, but the lower standard of club and interprovincial rugby is an issue.

Big decisions ahead for players, team management and the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

"Irish rugby was a shambles back then despite having Keith Wood, Paul Wallace, Denis Hickie, Eric Elwood, The Claw, Mick Galway, David Humphrey, Eric Miller etc. We had at the time, a far better calibre of player than is currently available to the women’s team."

That's the exact point I'm making though. I'm not talking about the setup or anything like that, I'm talking about the players. Unfortunately, when you get beyond the sideshow of all the controversy they have generated, they're just a seriously poor group of players, probably the worst Irish rugby team I have ever seen, in either the men's or women's game, amateur or professional.

The future improvement that will no doubt come about eventually will happen because most of these players will have been moved on and replaced with more capable ones.

Is there some sub league the ladies could drop to for a few seasons and play v Georgia, Romania, Spain etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Some of the current group are very young and could develop with 10-20 caps.

Most of them aren't great.

I think the single biggest change they could make is get as many of them into the English club system. Then we can judge their true level.

Almost all of the Welsh squad (34 out of 36) are playing in England and the Scottish are not far behind. Almost half of the USA squad are based in England also.

The poorer rugby standard in Ireland leaves them ill prepared for proper rugby by professional teams. A lot of the Irish players will probably fail to meet the standards in England but the team will certainly fail if we continue to leave them at home playing lower level rugby.

Yeah but will that stop them from embarrassing the nation quickly?

• Administrators Posts: 53,337 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement

we turned pro with others at same time as them but didnt get our processes right when the game went fully open and a lot of players went to england first. we got things right later in 90s and got vast vast majority home

Havent seen game today as was working but i dont think its an obsession with going for tries more not having enough good kickers for place kicks. you see far less penalty kicks at goal in womens game anyway.

The numbers playing are low but increasing year on year. we have a good strong 7s team and shouldnt lose them. Its something world rugby should be doing and ensuring the 7s world series events dont clash with womens 6 nations or other major 15s competitions as players can play both and its different to mens games.

We cant afford to have more of our players playing in England as it affects us long term if we dont keep players here domestically. welsh/scottish can as its far easier for them to do so. I wouldnt look to recommend more travelling over. build our own domestic competitions better. get games against english sides in a pro competition and french sides and we will do better.

The mens team of the 1990s were horrific. we lost 11 in a row at one stage in the early 90s. the 90s was a very grim decade bar a few one off performances. so yes they were as bad as that and in many ways the mens team then were worse

the leaflets were connected with irish womens supporters twitter account afaik.

I think we shouldnt have to focus on 7s. we should be able to have players do both. world rugby shouldnt be getting the 7s and main 15s tournaments clashing

We do need celtic challenge to expand and then we need more clubs playing AIL and get our top players spread out across more clubs to get AIL more competitive which would strengthen that hugely which prepares players better for interpros which needs expansion as well.

We cant just export all our players to england as that doesnt help us long term. look at mens rugby. back when mens rugby went pro many of our players went to england initially but the best thing for us was getting many of them back playing here. get the systems and structures right here and get them playing games against english and french club sides then on top of a high quality set up here and we will do ok but we have to get our domestic structure in order

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What you saw in the last 10 minutes were women who were totally drained, physically and mentally. Remember we were mooted to lose this game by over 100 points but we kept England to half that. That in itself is an incredible achievement and a marked improvement. Never ever judge a performance by watching the final ten minutes.

It is commendable to grow the Irish domestic game but that just lengthens the time it will take to raise the standard. Playing in an insular league won’t improve standards and thought processes quickly and relying on the Celtic challenge against third and fourth choice Welsh and Scottish players is not really going to add much in the short term. We could throw money at the domestic game and entice new players and start academies and try and get a bigger playing pool. But that requires money and the IRFU have never struck me as an organisation that likes spending money.

Playing against English club teams would be good but they would be glorified friendlies with all the caveats that come with non competitive games.

The men’s game benefitted from European club competition and that was a bigger help than the Celtic League and its many many successors ever brought. But I don’t see a women’s club competition being rolled out any time soon as I don’t think any of them are breaking even.

Re the penalties thing, I know that goal kicking is very much a lottery in the women’s game but to come off the field at the end of the match and see zero after your team’s name after 80 minutes can’t be good for morale. Instead of kicking for goal, we go for a lineout which was not going well and turning that into a lottery also.

The US women’s squad have 14 players in England but we should keep our players at home. Don’t worry about a talent drain to England because based on performances so far, not many would get offers.

After the 6N is over, I expect women’s rugby is drop out of sight and in 12 months we repeat the process again with similar outcomes. To improve requires change from the players, team management and the IRFU. Sadly, I think the status quo will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I thought the same, saw them celebrating that tackle and was like wtf?! A couple of minutes later England knocked on in midfield and there was a few of the Irish players punching the air and clapping. Not sure why you’d be doing that when 40 points down…you should be annoyed to be getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you don't think these players hurt badly at the shellackings, watch a couple of the post match interviews this tournament.

The reality is, when you're at rock bottom, the only way is up. And England beat Ireland by slightly less than the average that they beat all the other teams so far. That is a tiny chink of light in a grim, grim tournament for everyone involved so far, but its progress nonetheless.

The IRFU have decided to tear up the previous regime which was failing everyone and institute a professional 7s and 15s women's international setup where there will be no crossover and so the 15s lost Parsons, Mulhall and ALMC to name a few. All huge talents and big game finishers. Imagine Ireland men's being told they couldn't bring Hansen, Lowe, McCloskey and Keenan to the World Cup and just to get on with it?! That's the level of impact here.

And so the birthing process for women's professional rugby has been horrific, but judge them in 24 or 36 months. And judge the 7s on Olympic qualification.

And in the mean time, support the team, tell them they're backed, not jeered and tell the authorities that they must do better for them, to institute player management every bit as good as it is in the men's game.

It took a lot of balls for those girls to go out against that monster an England team yesterday, I'm glad to see them take heart when things go a bit better for them on the field, everyone here should too instead of the pathetic posts above.

There is time to develop the domestic scene. We cant just export all our top players to england and hope for the best. With a proper domestic structure we have more control. our best interests should be the fore which will never be the case if you have all best players playing in england and as already said in this thread the mens game when it went pro saw an exodus to england and it was primarily when we got our house more in order at home that improvements in the national team occured.

Playing Celtic Challenge will still be an improvement on playing domestic games alone. We need to get sides playing french and english more as well. Just throwing money at the domestic league isnt the answer but the whole structure. Nearly all the top clubs in the WAIL dont field age grade sides. they simply take all the best players when they move to Limerick/Dublin etc for work/college

We will never improve unless our domestic game is improved. If you build our teams and structures you could build a european competition with english, french sides like the mens european cups.

You’re right when you say there is time to develop the domestic scene……it will take a long time as they won’t have any competitive games from teams outside Ireland other than third or fourth choice Scottish and Welsh players in the Celtic Challenge. Standards will improve gradually and expect to see a few more wooden spoons while we protect the Irish domestic players in their self contained little bubble.

The men’s teams improved with European competition and the Irish women don’t have that benchmark to test themselves against. And I don’t see any English or French clubs gunning for a European competition as the women’s games don’t draw the crowds or the tv coverage atm.

Encouraging players to go to England is not ideal, and you say it’s “hope for the best”. Are we not doing that by leaving them here ?. Not sure why you’re that concerned about the number of players going to England. Other than the ones already there, I think only another 2 possibly 3 have any real prospects of going, and if they develop quicker through more intense competition, what’s the harm in that.

There is a big gap between Ireland and the England and French teams……..but now we are allowing a gap to develop to the other three teams as well. And currently we don’t seem to have the interest to close the gap in any hurry. And qualifying foe World Cups will be a novelty pretty soon as well, but what the harm, the IRFU will have a domestic women’s game to control .

Its not about protecting irish domestic players its about long term developing our structures and systesm to develop future players. The English and French teams want to develop more and will play outside their own country.

We need to develop our own structures to ensure the next generation will be able to develop. that isnt as likely to happen in Wales. The english clubs will primarily want international quality players and not be looking at players not at that level yet.

We will only close the gap with england and france by improving what we do in Ireland. improving what rugby our clubs play and what rugby our provinces play.

”long term developing our structures”…….that’s exactly what we don’t have, you either embrace professionalism quickly or you sit at the bottom of the 6N table for a long time. Repeated wooden spoons is not likely to encourage young girls to take up the sport, a sport that is not even played in their schools.

If Ireland didn’t play the 6N this year, we wouldn’t know how big the problem is. It’s only by outside repeated exposure to high level competition that will help grow the standards, both of our national team and our domestic leagues. Sitting at home slows the process.

Once we play Scotland, the focus on this will die down and the IRFU will pretend they have an interest in developing the women’s game, but in reality they don’t.

I have a lot of sympathy for the current players, yes, some are not good enough but like a lot of things in Ireland, we are late to the party as usual and now we want everything to go slowly slowly because we don’t like making tough decisions which will involve short term pain. And in 12, 24 and 36 months time we will repeat these discussions.

Developing the domestic game makes perfect sense…..if we had started it 10 years ago when the Fiona Coghlan’s, Lynn Cantwell’s and Paula Fiitzpatricks were winning trophies in the green jerseys. But the IRFU wasted that opportunity and going slowly slowly risks losing yet another generation who will view the national rugby team as also rans who get a lot of adverse comment.

• Advertisement

Except if this work isnt done Ireland wont succeed. You have to get professional structures right otherwise you still wont be able to compete.

It doesnt matter if your top players are pro if the structures for developing new players to the top level are not right.

Rugby not being played in schools in the same fashion as boys rugby isnt a problem if you have enough clubs playing and you have development officers from each of the provinces and IRFU assisting girls who want to play or get introduced in school and then can join clubs.

The problem with the domestic scene is simply too many top players are concentrated in too few clubs which means games with top sides are very high quality but there isnt enough of those games. We were getting more playing when Lynn Cantwell et al were playing but its going to be slow to build numbers up

Advertisement