Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elton John biopic Rocketman

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ You expected him to do an Elton John impression while playing, and singing, WITH Elton John.... c'mon!!

I'll reserve judgement for the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

doesn't look very promising , but i'll still see it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

apparently its the first movie promoted by a major film studio to include a gay sex scene

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

fryup wrote: »
    apparently its the first movie promoted by a major film studio to include a gay sex scene

What about Brokeback Mountain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

what about Bruno?

Shelga wrote: »
    What about Brokeback Mountain?
    El Duda wrote: »
    what about Bruno?

both small independent studios

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Went to see it tonight. The 'gay sex scene' was a bit 'blink and you'll miss it'. Spoilering just in case.
    I left the cinema feeling sad to be honest. I thought from the trailer it was a biopic and it is, but it's delivered in a part fantasy way - sort of 'Mamma Mia' (threading songs together) mixed with 'Moulin Rouge' (bursts of song here and there).

I'm not hugely familiar with all his songs and there were definitely a couple I didn't know at all. It covers his life from his childhood until he became sober following years of drink and drug abuse. Elton's production company were involved in it and David Furnish was an Exec. Producer, so I presume it has the Elton imprimatur. Some people come out of it quite badly. I don't know how factual that was.

Overall I enjoyed it, but as I said, it left me feeling a bit sad.
    Fabulous costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it tonight also...
    spurious makes a hell of a racket eating popcorn
    :p
    As spurious says, the story of his life is presented in part fantasy, with some jumping from past to the present.

For me though I thought it worked quite well. A few aspects of his life I felt deserved more attention. Particularly his three year marriage to Renate Blauel. Only as I have read so much in Biographies about that time and it always read as if you could make a film about that time alone. In total we got about 3 or 4mins showing what he was like at that time.

Film also only spans from his childhood to around the mid 80's, when Too Low For Zero came out.

I get why many might be disappointed that perhaps expected something a little more raw and less abstract, I did myself tbh, but as surprised as I was, I thoroughly it too.

His autobiography is out in time for Christmas apparently, so will look forward to that. Film a solid 8 for me though.

spurious wrote: »
    Went to see it tonight. The 'gay sex scene' was a bit 'blink and you'll miss it'.

be bringing my elderly (& prude) mother to it..its not too explicit is it? it doesn't involve anything oral? is there only one scene?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

be bringing my elderly (& prude) mother to it..its not too explicit is it? it doesn't involve anything oral? is there only one scene?

lol. Eh, it might actually be perfect in some sense so as:

MAJOR
    One aspect of Elton's life was how prudish (among many other things) his mother was and this is actually something which is focused upon multiple times throughout the film.

As for the sex scenes, they're not too explicit although one of the kissing scenes might seem like it lasts an eternity if watching with your mam beside you....... other than that though the rest of the sex related stuff is either blink and you'd miss it, as said, or it's just being alluded to.

I remember thinking my Dad wouldn't like First Blood as he hated violence but I recommended it to him anyway, many years ago now, and one evening as I was coming in I heard all this cheering and shouting from the living room, and so I went in to see what all the commotion was about and there he was cheering on John Rambo. So, you never, she might surprise you. Sure if nothing else you'll always have the memory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a short scene involving oral and someone else other than Elton, but again, you see nothing really. It doesn't dominate the film or anything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you see my mammy comes from a generation when oral sex meant...talking about sex

might be too much for her seeing two guys at it?

btw whats the cert?

15a

I saw it this evening, and I must say that it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it tonight and for the first 45 minutes its an absolutley crackin' film. Lots of energy and of course great music. But then the pace started to slip and I found myself drifting off, losing interest really. By the end I felt like I had just watched a remake of Bohemian rapsody. Even has the same director.......overall its a good movie I just feel like it exploded out of the blocks but then drifted off into fairly conventional territory. Id say Elton himself is pleased with the final product and his life was always gonna lend itself to film, hope it does as well as the bohemian rapsody, even if they are basically the same film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

This was great. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It's way better than the Queen film , the queen film was pure cookie cutter this one didn't pull any punches and was much better for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Thought this film was amazing! Now I just can’t wait to see Elton John live in Dublin in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen it last night and enjoyed far more than the Queen film.

It was more undiluted and it didnt suffer from Eltons input or trying to hide behind an image that the surviving Queen lads are.

I've no doubt though that it will get nowhere near the plaudits, box office take or award nods than the Queen film as Elton pretty much divides opinion on whether hes liked or hated.

I also felt Egerton played Elton better than Mailk did with Mercury but no way another biopic gets the recognition barely 12 months on from Bohemian Rhapsody, which is a shame because I do think its a better film across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Saw it last night, don't know too much about Elton's life so can't say how historically accurate it is, but was enjoyable and the songs sounded great. It had a broadway musical feel to it and wouldn't be surprised if it ends up there or the West End in a year or 2.

On the subject of its classification, was thinking afterwards about how film classification has changed over the years, I would say although there was nothing too graphic, the gay love scenes and brief scene of oral sex along with the language (even a c-bomb towards the end) should probably have earned it a 16 rating, and likely would have up to a few years ago, the 15A was quite generous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Here's a spoilery review of it , really hope it does well and they get some recognition for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Saw this tonight and loved it. Didn't watch the Freddie Mercury biopic after reading everything they changed it in/ Brian May's hands all over it etc etc...but went along to this after hearing great reviews.
    Not an Elton John fan per se, know the famous tunes and the classics but thought this was brilliantly put together to his music. Loved the transitions in some of the scenes when they fast forward Elton's life. In the street, at the piano, funfair etc .
    As others said, doesn't pull any punches and is all the better for it. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭sporina

not an Elton fan at all but saw this yday and it blew me away - I even cried! soo well done - loved the structure and cast...
    still not a fan but loved the way the movie was done - cudda been about anyone if you know what i mean - but i respect his talent and what he went thru..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Machina

I enjoyed it. I'm not an Elton Fan but I just went with it. I really enjoyed the full-on fantasy sequences. They seemed appropriate for such a larger-than-life character.

Advertisement