Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Headset for PS4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

FYI - the turtle beach M1 headset works perfect!.....i got them a few months back for 12 quid on Argos, they were designed for the Vita so the mic etc. works spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just got the Turtle beach px22 for €75 in smyths.

Has the option of either taking stereo off the TV and USB to the console( for mic 1.50) or 3.5mm straight to the controller for everything.

I have them hooked up to an additional ampifier with Dolby but so far they're great, and have great sound as I was using them on the way home with my phone.

The mic is not detachable but it is insanely positionable and metal.

No extra bit need for online other than the patch and that's not even needed if you use the Dualshock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Thank you kind sir. Just plumped for these now.

Got my A50s delivered and set up today. Perfect sound in-game for BF4, but I've not had the opportunity to check the chat as no one in-game uses a mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »
    Just got the Turtle beach px22 for €75 in smyths.

Has the option of either taking stereo off the TV and USB to the console( for mic 1.50) or 3.5mm straight to the controller for everything.

I have them hooked up to an additional ampifier with Dolby but so far they're great, and have great sound as I was using them on the way home with my phone.

The mic is not detachable but it is insanely positionable and metal.

No extra bit need for online other than the patch and that's not even needed if you use the Dualshock.

I was just in gamestop and they got these for 89.99eu. They marked as ps4 compatible too. So what's your opinion about these after some time playing with them?

I sow p11 for 59.99eu, x12 for 64.99eu and some sort of ghost ones for 89.99eu. I just got back home so i'll check Amazon for the prices. Though if I need I can grab one of these tomorrow if people know anything about them.

I was just in gamestop and they got these for 89.99eu. They marked as ps4 compatible too. So what's your opinion about these after some time playing with them?

I sow p11 for 59.99eu, x12 for 64.99eu and some sort of ghost ones for 89.99eu. I just got back home so i'll check Amazon for the prices. Though if I need I can grab one of these tomorrow if people know anything about them.

Smyths have them for €75 and HN had them for €80 (there was a deal for €71). The COD ones are the same just with Cod branding. Amazon really cheaper after vat or parcel motel, especially if you pay for delivery.

I think they're good, the mic is extremely positionable and sound is good. They can be fully wired to the PS4 using the inline amplifier connecting by USB for the Mic and 3.5mm to phono on your TV for game sound or into an amplifier, you can also just hook the headset straight into the Dualshock 4.

I have mine connected into a dolby headphone amp running off optical so I can only comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Bohrio wrote: »
    hey guys

Just to let you know there is a sale on Astros at the moment.

I just got a new Astro A50 from 249 pounds down to 187 plus VAT/Shipping (total 197 pounds) just to let you know.

link

Time so say good bye to my lovely A40s!

Hey guys just to let you know, I just received the headsets today, pretty quick delivery.

The headsets are great, I was thinking of writing a review but I wouldnt know where to post it so I will be brief.

Funny enough, first thing I noticed is that it feels a bit more plastic-ish than my A40s. It could be me though. My original Astro A40 cost me 279 pounds, that's 100 pounds more than the new A50 (with the discount) or 30 more without it. The current A40s cost much less now than they cost me back in 2011 so I dont know how the new A50 will compare to the current A40s. I dont think there is much of a difference in feel and finish.

Anyway, aside from that the headsets are brilliant, very nicely finished, somehow they feel lighter than the A40s, sound seems crispier, fits very comfortably and the fact that you dont have to carry the wireless unit around makes is very handy, perfect for me. I find it hard to believe that they were able to fit the wireless unit inside the headset without a noticeable size/weight increase. At first glance, their size is exactly the same size as my A40s.

Very very happy with the purchase so far, I was really looking forward to this headsets and so far they have exceeded all expectations. I though I was gonna miss the A40 but I dont see that happening, although its only been one day! we will see in a week time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

is it a little early to ask then sound wise which set u prefer as i was torn between the 2013 a40s and the a50, but went a50 in the end

cadete wrote: »
    is it a little early to ask then sound wise which set u prefer as i was torn between the 2013 a40s and the a50, but went a50 in the end

Between the new A40 and the new A50 there is no difference as far as I know, my A40s are the 2011 version, soundwise they are very similar too, hard to say, we will see in a few days.. there is no major differences, the new a50s sound crispiers and louder but that could be the built in EQ...

PS: I think you made the right choice, if money wasnt a problem of course. The headsets are fantastic, best gaming headset I have ever had. If you never had a pair of astros before you are going to be impressed. The fact that the wireless unit is built into the headsets make them a perfect unit.

Now that I remember I will check the firmware version and upgrade it later in case I have an older version.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nopeare wrote: »
    I don't know if they'd be what your looking for, but I bought a pair of Turtle Beach P11's this morning from Amazon for €38, I know to the lads who are spending €100 plus on headsets they're probably muck, but for what I want they look right for me on the reviews. I also looked at the PX22 which looked good but these will be the first pair of decent headphones I will own so wasn't sure on spending much more

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-TBS-2137-P11-Headset/dp/B004R9Q1IK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385460669&sr=8-1&keywords=turtlebeach+p11

http://www.turtlebeach.com/console-compatibility

They are in harvey norman for around that price no? Remember seeing them last week and testing them out.

I'd normally be snobby towards console headsets, over priced average muck, but I was rather impressed with them, good sound and felt relatively comfy, probably sweat like a motha ****a though

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

@bohrio
    How you finding the a50s ingame chat and connection to ps4
    The astro headset i have is the 2009 model
    I can get an updated a40 mix amp so it works for chat on the ps4
    at the moment my a40 mix amp only good for ingame sounds which is perfect but the mic just wont work im left with the ear piece I got with the ps4 in one of my ears not comfy
    any help would be great I reakon my headset shout work with all the mix amps not too sure thou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I've to update my firmware to be able to use chat properly for the A50's. People can hear me, but I can't hear them. Trouble for me is that Astro's firmware updater isn't mac compatible, so that puts a stumbling block in front of me at the moment. In-game sound isn't affected and is quite excellent. I can hear other players footsteps and what direction they're coming from when I'm in a relatively quiet area and hear bullets and rockets wizz past my head.

@bohrio
    How you finding the a50s ingame chat and connection to ps4
    The astro headset i have is the 2009 model
    I can get an updated a40 mix amp so it works for chat on the ps4
    at the moment my a40 mix amp only good for ingame sounds which is perfect but the mic just wont work im left with the ear piece I got with the ps4 in one of my ears not comfy
    any help would be great I reakon my headset shout work with all the mix amps not too sure thou

Hey there

I havent used it my a PS4 yet... sorry. I dont see why it wouldnt work though

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gep91

any one use the Ps4 ORB gp3 headset?

i got one, works ok, but the volume control is controlled by the chat control - any one have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

gep91 wrote: »
    any one use the Ps4 ORB gp3 headset?

i got one, works ok, but the volume control is controlled by the chat control - any one have this issue?

I have a Triton AX-180 and the chat volume controls the game volume. Game volume seems to do nothing. Same issue as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Just ordered the Astro A50's as a Christmas present to myself, well that's how I'm justifying the cost to myself :rolleyes: Hope they are good as people say?!:D I'm just wondering on the PS4 I note you have to change the settings from Liner PCM to Dolby so if I want to watch a Blu-ray and not use the headset but my hi-fi I have to change the setting back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Lads, little help please if you wouldn't mind :)

Just bought a set of PX22's, but while I can get great sound from the telly I can't hook it up to PS4 to get the chat working. Alternatively, if I hook them up directly to the controller I only seem to get the chat option. The sound is pretty good but I'd like to be able to combine the two! :P

Any ideas?

Lads, little help please if you wouldn't mind :)

Just bought a set of PX22's, but while I can get great sound from the telly I can't hook it up to PS4 to get the chat working. Alternatively, if I hook them up directly to the controller I only seem to get the chat option. The sound is pretty good but I'd like to be able to combine the two! :P

Any ideas?

Two options, either have the USB hooked into the PS4 and the 3.5mm into the TV or remove the headset wire from the amplifier (bit with the controls) and hook that into the DS4.

You'll also need to go onto the sound settings (sound and screen/audio output settings/output to headphones) and change this option, if your using the USB (PS4) and 3.5mm (TV) then set it as "chat audio" and if you hook the headset without the amplifier then that single 3.5mm goes into the DS4 and you set the option as "all audio".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Cheers lads! :)

Managed to get it working - 3.5mm and USB into telly and there was a short lead (not the xbox chat one) the I plugged into DS4 and the little volume control box for the headset.

Might try hooking straight into the DS4 and changing settings to see if that's any use - less wires! :P

Cheers lads! :)

Managed to get it working - 3.5mm and USB into telly and there was a short lead (not the xbox chat one) the I plugged into DS4 and the little volume control box for the headset.

Might try hooking straight into the DS4 and changing settings to see if that's any use - less wires! :P

That none xbox cable is meant for a phone, you can switch between game and phone chat by moving the switch (blue is game, and pink is phone), you should use the USB on the PS4 as this way the volume of the chat can be controlled.

If you have the USB plugged into the PS4 then you don't need to connect the Dualshock to anything.

• Advertisement

That none xbox cable is meant for a phone, you can switch between game and phone chat by moving the switch (blue is game, and pink is phone), you should use the USB on the PS4 as this way the volume of the chat can be controlled.

If you have the USB plugged into the PS4 then you don't need to connect the Dualshock to anything.

That's fairly handy alright, must remember that!

Only problem I have with the usb on the PS4 is that it's miles away from the place for the headphones on the telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

People with the px22s how is your sound quality on the ps4? I got the headset yesterday and have it plugged in with the USB to console and the jack in the controller. The sound is decent but not very immersive. When I used them on my PC the sound is way better? What's your headset like ?

Fiddlex wrote: »
    People with the px22s how is your sound quality on the ps4? I got the headset yesterday and have it plugged in with the USB to console and the jack in the controller. The sound is decent but not very immersive. When I used them on my PC the sound is way better? What's your headset like ?

Have them plugged into an amp and the sound is great.

Have them plugged into an amp and the sound is great.

What amp are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Thinkin of selling my astro a40 2010 mix amp
    just putting the feelers out
    not sure if it only works with astro headset thou

I'm a complete noob when it comes to the headsets but I'm very impressed so far given I have them hooked up to the telly. Thought I could hear lads coming up behind me in BF4 and sure enough I had a knife in the gob soon after. They're definitely an improvement on the 360 for me anyway :P

I'm a complete noob when it comes to the headsets but I'm very impressed so far given I have them hooked up to the telly. Thought I could hear lads coming up behind me in BF4 and sure enough I had a knife in the gob soon after. They're definitely an improvement on the 360 for me anyway :P

How do you have them connected to your ps4?

How do you have them connected to your ps4?

I may or may not have had 10 - 16 pints :P, so let me know if the following needs clarification:

Headset plugged into the volume control. Volume control dealy has two outputs along cable - jack and usb. Plugged both into telly - sound clear as day to me after that. In order to get mic (so all could hear my infinite words of wisdom) I plugged 3.5mm cable that came with set into the controller and the plug that fits it on the volume control device. Granted movement of controller is slightly restricted as the cable is short, but works good enough for me!

I may or may not have had 10 - 16 pints :P, so let me know if the following needs clarification:

Headset plugged into the volume control. Volume control dealy has two outputs along cable - jack and usb. Plugged both into telly - sound clear as day to me after that. In order to get mic (so all could hear my infinite words of wisdom) I plugged 3.5mm cable that came with set into the controller and the plug that fits it on the volume control device. Granted movement of controller is slightly restricted as the cable is short, but works good enough for me!

Buy a USB extendion cable to connect to the PS4 as the way you have it now you can't use the variable mic (making you louder), you can't control the chat volume on the fly with the headset controls, and I don't think the chat boost works this way either.

they cost next to nothing and you'll no longer need to have a cable connecting the to the controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Been looking at the Turtle Beach PX4's myself:

Turtle Beach PX4 Wireless Gaming Headset

Advertisement