Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chase

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Oh and Shaun is usually the worst chaser with the weakest quips.

I think he makes a good quip here... :D:D

While I think it would be at least a little bit harsh to call any of them the weakest Chaser, it is probably fair to say that Shaun cuts it very fine in the Final Chase more often than the others.

An incredible Final Chase today - the Beast was set a small target of 14, but only reached it in the dying milliseconds. :eek: :eek:

k2l8vd.jpg

I make it the third time that the Chaser has reached his or her target with the clock showing zero.

The targets were much bigger in the previous two, however:

In fact, I make it the fourth time now. :o

Turns out it also happened on the 500th episode last month. And the target was even smaller than yesterday's... :eek: :eek:

"It's just another day at the office" seems to be Shaun's catchphrase. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Shaun can be great some days and just as bad as a random they pulled in off the street other times, some of the stuff he misses is often shocking, legal terms a barrister like him should know straight away, soft geography questions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Low offer **** really piss me off. I give out to the tv when someone does it.

It's very rare that the Chaser is set a single-digit target - but it happened yesterday.

Charlene and Steve did manage to push Shaun back twice, though - including on a Dodie Smith question, when he took a long time before saying "One Thousand and One Dalmatians".

In the end, he had 42 seconds to spare when he caught them. Just another day at the office. :D

x42f5i.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭miss-bored

I love the chase too

I believe the final chase is much more tough for the contestants as they need to spend time buzzing in to answer questions and also have to wait for Bradley say their first name before answering. The chaser can go ahead and answer all questions without any of that. Surely this consumes a fair amount of time on the clock for the contestants!

Bradley is a great host, very likeable man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

miss-bored wrote: »
    I love the chase too

I believe the final chase is much more tough for the contestants as they need to spend time buzzing in to answer questions and also have to wait for Bradley say their first name before answering. The chaser can go ahead and answer all questions without any of that. Surely this consumes a fair amount of time on the clock for the contestants!

Bradley is a great host, very likeable man.

You're not the only one to notice and it definitely hinders the contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It's very rare that the Chaser is set a single-digit target - but it happened yesterday.

Charlene and Steve did manage to push Shaun back twice, though - including on a Dodie Smith question, when he took a long time before saying "One Thousand and One Dalmatians".

In the end, he had 42 seconds to spare when he caught them. Just another day at the office. :D

Nine?

Wow, that's a meagre return for two people in two minutes. I suppose it's easy to freeze when you get off to a bad start.

The point about the time lost to buzzers and name checks is a good one. Because of that it might actually be an advantage to get through to the final on your own (unless you have more than one strong contestant)

Here's an example, Larry does brilliantly but he would have had less time if he was carrying a dead weight partner.

Skid X wrote: »
    Nine?

Wow, that's a meagre return for two people in two minutes. I suppose it's easy to freeze when you get off to a bad start.

There was a lot of apologising done after one contestant would buzz to say pass as the other player was pressing the buzzer to answer. She gave him no chance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

lertsnim wrote: »
    There was a lot of apologising done after one contestant would buzz to say pass as the other player was pressing the buzzer to answer. She gave him no chance at all.

She pretty much guessed her way to the final too. She kept giggling and saying 'I can't believe I got that right.'

• Advertisement

Yeah. I bet he felt sorry that he told her to go for the lower offer too.

Luck of the draw I suppose. Some days you will find yourself on a great team while yesterday can happen too

• She did answer most of the questions in the final round. He just collapsed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I like The Chase -it's good to see contestants win occasionally though, otherwise it's all a bit too predictable.

She did answer most of the questions in the final round. He just collapsed!

He knew the answers to questions where she buzzed in almost instantly with pass or a guess. Both of them were poor tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Don't know why some people are so down on BW. I think he is great, brings the contestants out of their shells and has some great banter. Also, some of the faces and laughs he makes are amazing. I present half an hour of laughing your ass off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I like the programme, it's entertaining. I like BW too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Don't know why some people are so down on BW. I think he is great, brings the contestants out of their shells and has some great banter. Also, some of the faces and laughs he makes are amazing. I present half an hour of laughing your ass off.

Yes its a phenomenon whereby when someone is so universally liked that your get a very tiny bunch of vociferous haters. Strange but true. The show is a out and out winner and he's 50% responsible for it. The USA version is poor in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,557 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

As 'Pointless' is taking a break due to Wimbledon, I've been getting my tea time game show fix with 'The Chase' :)

In tonight's final chase, Anne's questions were suspiciously easier...'What Is 7 x 7?'

:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1 50M31 3L535 dream

a question there, something about in which profession might you encounter the bends,

fighter pilot, astronaut, or deep sea diver.

i'm nearly sure it could be any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

New quiz coming in the Chase's timeslot next Monday.

Not sure if it deserves it's own thread so I'm just sticking it here.

The 21st Question
    The 21st Question is a brand new quiz show, a game that revolves around what you know and how well you play your hand. Eleven contestants compete to get onto the power spot and to control the game. Whoever is standing on the power spot when quizmaster Gethin Jones asks the 21st and final question gets the chance to win big and take home all of the money made in the game

• Advertisement

The Chase is gone or on a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

Thargor wrote: »
    The Chase is gone or on a break?

It's showing in the listings as been on at 12.30pm from Monday 11th August.

But it doesn't say whether they are new or repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Well anything is better than the hideous Paul O' Grayyyyyydeee

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

brian_t wrote: »
    It's showing in the listings as been on at 12.30pm from Monday 11th August.

But it doesn't say whether they are new or repeats.

If it's being shown at that time, it's probably just repeats.

brian_t wrote: »
    New quiz coming in the Chase's timeslot next Monday.

Not sure if it deserves it's own thread so I'm just sticking it here.

The 21st Question
    This is utter boring cack, not a patch on The Chase, its got a critical flaw in that the last 15 minutes are the only interesting bit. the presenter is just a pure generic quiz-show host with no personality whatsoever and there's no interesting characters like the Chasers either. And the questions are brain dead easy to cap it off and there's only 21 of them per ep so they spend too much time dragging them out. 0/10 from me, back to Pointless on BBC I go...

It is a horribly boring show. 21 questions in a one hour show is a question every 3 minutes. Good grief.

Back to Pointless for me too until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Stuck about 10 mins of 21 questions-too boring, not enough questions

Pointless is repeats (again!!). Might read a book until September

Stuck about 10 mins of 21 questions-too boring, not enough questions

The prize money is crap as well.

• Advertisement

Great show this evening. One of the best ever.

Advertisement