Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preacher [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

• 07-02-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

After many, many false starts, Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s comic "Preacher" is apparently to be made by AMC.

http://www.movies.ie/movie%20news/PREACHER_Confirmed_for_Small_Screen_Adaptation

I hope they can finally come through with this. It's a great series and will make a great show. I just hope that it's content doesn't mean they cut out half of it to make it more presentable for TV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If they cut anything they may as well just not bother at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Seth Rogen is involved. Ah well, at least they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭One_Armed_Dwarf

I'd be a lot more excited if it was HBO instead of AMC, as a lot of the more extreme content may get cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I'd be a lot more excited if it was HBO instead of AMC, as a lot of the more extreme content may get cut

I agree, but I'd be more worried about the religious subtext. I think The Walking Dead has shown that graphic, even extreme content, can work on basic cable. I'm just not sure that AMC have the stomach to get into the god stuff.

Edit: Saying that, 'extreme' means a very different thing when it comes to Preacher. It's just on a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It may have worked on Starz as well.

Hope they get an actual Irishman to play Cassidy instead of a dodgy accent being used the whole time

I remember seeing a test shot of Arseface makeup a while back for one of the other stalled productions of Preacher and here it is
    http://allthingsfangirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/arse_face.jpg
    http://allthingsfangirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/arse_face_2.jpg

Posting the link instead of the pic in case people don't want to look at that lovely face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 booladen

I was really excited when I heard about this.
    I can't think of anyone that I would like to be cast for the role though.

When I seen Seth Rogan being involved I was a bit weary, hopefully he approaches it as more of a comic fan than his style of media.

AMC have done some good stuff, walking dead as mentioned before and Breaking Bad, I think they could do a decent job although HBO would of been preferable

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Sam Rockwell or Guy Pearce would make a good Cassidy (if they can do an Irish accent)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Hmmm, From watching Misfits, he's well able for the loose cannon role, but how's his accent? Imagine if they went for the crazy idea of casting an Irish actor to play an Irish vampire? Even get Rudy's predecessor and cast Robert Sheehan, though we know he doesn't really like to commit to tv series for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hopefully he picks up the accent from Ruth Negga

Ruth Negga's real life fella actor Dominic Cooper is rumoured for the part of Jesse Custer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,181 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Some set shots here from Preacher...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

Like the casting so far, good to see an Irish girl in the mix :)

Going to re-read the comics fairly soon in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jaysus Joe Gilgun.. that's some attempt at an Irish accent! :eek:

Not blown away - but it's a cracking cast to I'll reserve judgement!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Have to say im a big fan of the comic, ill be looking forward to this..

Yeah his own accent is far to strong to pull off an Irish accent.

To be honest, if it wasn't called Preacher, I'd have a hard time recognising it from that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah his own accent is far to strong to pull off an Irish accent.

To be honest, if it wasn't called Preacher, I'd have a hard time recognising it from that trailer.

To be fair he did a flawless scottish accent in Lockout.

Looked fairly far removed from the comic. Aside from the presence of a guy in a dog-collar causin a ruckus, I'd have been hard pressed to identify it.

I don't know if Dominic Cooper is the best guy they could have got for the role. His accent seems pretty legit, but he looks too handsome and hunky; he's fashionably dishevelled. I'd have reservations about whether I can buy him as a man who has been to hell and back. Could turn out to work perfectly of course, but it could turn out to be an unavoidable bum note that ruins everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That "Irish" accent is criminal, but we do have to remember that it's aimed at a stateside audience, the vast majority of which have no idea what a genuine Irish accent sounds like. As much as we'd all love the real deal, I don't feel too cheated, because they're obviously trying to paint a identifiable Irish character for dozens of millions of people who wouldn't readily recognize native accents. For better or worse (worse in any Irish persons opinion granted), I'm willing to accept it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm anticipating and dreading this in equal measure!

I hope it's not sh1te. The graphic novels are sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

that trailer doesnt look to have much to do with the source.

no sunglasses on Cass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

We only got 5 words of Gilgun's "Irish accent", so I wouldn't be too quick to condemn him, since Cassidy had been drinking in that scene (and how many of us haven't gone Full Oirish while drinking?)... That said, I've a lot of time for Joseph Gilgun, if it were anyone else I'd probably not be this forgiving and patient.

It looks good. Haven't gotten around to reading the comics yet (although I'm aware it's amazing, obviously), so I can't compare yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance to plough through the comics over the holidays in time for the series...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Haven't read the comic.

First impressions of this trailer were good, reminded me a lot of Breaking Bad for some reason. Obviously it's same network of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Have they announced who's cast as Saint of Killers?
    Can't seem to find it online.

Advertisement