Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preacher [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A-Trak wrote: »
    Have they announced who's cast as Saint of Killers?
    Can't seem to find it online.
    Not been announced AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

A-Trak wrote: »
    Have they announced who's cast as Saint of Killers?
    Can't seem to find it online.

The Kurgen with hair is in my head.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I think Gilgun's accent works,I always got the vibe from Cassidy in the comics that he played up his "oirish" accent, gives him a bit of lovable Irish scamp status to add to his charm. But yeah, its only one sentence so its probably a bit daft to judge it yet!

As much as I love the comics, I'd be glad to see this get a bit of an update and take a slightly different approach to the story. For the most part, The Walking Dead has worked pretty well without being overly beholden to to the source material but still keeping the same spirit and overall atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

Cassidy has been around from about 1898 so he would have a fairly strong old Irish accent. More turn of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not sure I want to see Preacher watered down into tv gruel tbh, they'll have to cut all the best stuff. Good looking cast though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

TV is the only way to go with it at all. The other option would be to make a film, which couldn't work at all without all the threads of story. I cant even think of a section that would work as a standalone (except Salvation). As it is, im wondering how much of the story we will get, with a suggestion that we wont see items such as
    Cass's history with drugs and infatuation with Tulip, and I've seen no mention of the Saint of Killers yet, or ANYTHING to do with fallen angels of any type or the Grail
    . I might have missed something though, and im hoping that we get a lot of that.

As far as the cast goes, I'm happy with pretty much everyone included so far. Rate them all highly as actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

First episode was shown at the TCA press tour on Thursday night. Reviews are embargoed but seems to be getting positive first impressions and can read a brief summary of the panel here
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/01/09/seth-rogen-and-evan-goldberg-on-bringing-preacher-to-tv

Ruth Negga must do well with the accent for it because was reading comments that they were shocked when they heard her Irish accent on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

I wonder if the TV show will be set in the 1990s or the present.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Does anyone know if any Irish channel will be showing this? I read that Amazon have bought the UK, Germany and Japan.

I was listening to a TV.com podcast where they'd seen screeners for some new shows and they said Preacher was maybe the most violent thing they'd ever seen in a TV show.

• Advertisement

The first 4 minutes.

A great pilot I really enjoyed it and it looks like they have a winner on there hands with Preacher.

Watched it on Amazon this morning. Really liked it.

Joseph Gilgun sounds like Pat Shortt, it's incredible, it literally sounds like they got Pat Shortt to overdub his scenes :)

Loved the Tom Cruise bit :D

I was reading a review there and it mentions the pilot being 90 minutes?

The episode on Amazon is a little over an hour long. Was the reviewer maybe watching a screener or did Amazon cut stuff out?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I was reading a review there and it mentions the pilot being 90 minutes?

The episode on Amazon is a little over an hour long. Was the reviewer maybe watching a screener or did Amazon cut stuff out?
    90 minutes inclusive of ads in the US typically means not much longer than an hour..

Basq wrote: »
    90 minutes inclusive of ads in the US typically means not much longer than an hour..

I thought that myself but the way he phrased it made it sound like there was 90 minutes of actual show.
    That combination of genres, tones, and oddities made Preacher quite a bit to take in for a pilot. At times this episode was very slow—dedicated to establishing both Jesse's normal life as a crummy preacher and his rural, non-PC community—and at others, thrillingly surreal and action-packed. The final result was a 90-minute affair that, for the entirely non-initiated, probably played more like an extended prologue and less like an actual pilot.

The same guy was talking about it on a podcast last week and they mentioned having seen 2 episodes so I think they had press screeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Does anyone know if any Irish channel will be showing this? I read that Amazon have bought the UK, Germany and Japan.

I was listening to a TV.com podcast where they'd seen screeners for some new shows and they said Preacher was maybe the most violent thing they'd ever seen in a TV show.

I actually emailed Sony to ask, because I'm losing control of my life.
    Hi Anthony

May we thank you for taking the time to contact us directly here at Sony Pictures Television.

We can confirm currently Preacher will not be available in Ireland

We apologise we cannot assist further on this occasion

Kind regards

The Corporate Communications Team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I was glued to my TV for the whole 65 minutes run time, this is going to be one interesting show if they keep it up.

There were so many WTF moments in it that I just had to re-watch is again to make sure I got it all in.

The teaser for next week is also great, I am so looking forward to see next episode, if this would be served Netflix style I would still be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What day does this come out ? watching the pilot now and I don't want to wait too long for the next one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Sunday evening local on AMC, so early Monday morning here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

So far so good. Good for a summer show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Arseface!!!

Was arseface plagiarized from another show? Can't believe I'm saying this, but recognise that face from somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Was arseface plagiarized from another show? Can't believe I'm saying this, but recognise that face from somewhere!

He's from the comics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Thought it was great, Gilgun made a great Cassidy, surely destined to be a cult hero. Arseface was well done too.

I wonder how far it's going to stray from the comics, they may just leave out the John Wayne thing too, hopefully not.

He's from the comics.

Yeah, haven't read them (or heard of them before stumbling across this thread few hours ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Really enjoyed it, the lad playing Cassidy seemed to pull off a fairly OK accent, sounded sort of Cork-ish and at least it wasn't a Hollywood special, begorrahs and all, can't remember where he's meant to be from in the comics,
    just remember he was involved in the 1916 situation.

I'm assuming the lad that ate the tea bag is supposed to be
    Herr Starr?

Had a good laugh at the Tom Cruise bit also thought the scrap in the car was very well done, hopefully the show continues on like this.

I think we're being spoiled, ferrero rocher style, we've now got a Preacher series, there's a Dark Tower series on the way and an American Gods series on the way :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I'm assuming the lad that ate the tea bag is supposed to be
    Herr Starr?

That's the two angels. Is the world ready for
    Herr Starr
    ?
    I think we're being spoiled, ferrero rocher style, we've now got a Preacher series, there's a Dark Tower series on the way and an American Gods series on the way :D

Absolutely, not only that we are getting His Dark Materials from the BBC, one of my favorite books. After this pretty much the only thing I'd like to see made is the Invisibles, but I'm also certain that's unfilmable. Glorious times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm not familiar with the comics but I enjoyed this pilot. It was pretty bizzare in places though. I've no idea what Cassidy was doing on the plane or who those guys were. I've also no idea how the African and Russian incidents play into life in the preacher's town, aside from whatever power it was coming for him and not exploding him. It's a great role for Ruth Negga as well. She's certainly picking her roles well anyway. Cassidy's acent jarred on me slightly. It's not quite right but very close but it's the 2% that's not there that's the awkward part. It's kind of all over the place. Mostly Tipperary, a bit of Dublin and a bit of Cork. It's just a bit too varied.

Advertisement