Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preacher [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm waiting for the DMZ and Y: The Last Man series. I think I read The Boys is being adapted as well.

Is it bad that I think I needed subtitles more for Cassidy than Arseface?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is it bad that I think I needed subtitles more for Cassidy than Arseface?

I found with Cassidy that you couldn't make out all he was saying but you'd get the gist of it, which is often the way foreign people say the Irish accent is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

squonk wrote: »
    I've in no idea what Cassidy was doing on the plane or who those guys were. I've also no idea how the African and Russian incidents play into life in the preacher's town, aside from whatever power it was coming for him and not exploding him.

My take on those two bits were, they were flying him to daylight to kill him, and the energy bursts were killing false prophets, but stayed in our preacher as he's a goodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I did not know the graphic novel either (to my shame) but after seeing the trailer a while ago I did have a good look on the web and found some excellent summary pages (Wikipedia is one) and that helped me better understand the first episode.

Can't wait until the next one on Sunday (well Monday morning).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

My take on those two bits were, they were flying him to daylight to kill him, and the energy bursts were killing false prophets, but stayed in our preacher as he's a goodie.

He seems a good alright, but he'd want to watch himself with the literal instructions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I was pleasantly surprised by this as I never thought a tv series would be allowed to get near the level sof depravity and darkness of the soul in the comic books

But happy days it looks like this will be good

Lover the Tom Cruise bit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Dafuq did I just watch? :pac:

Joe Gilgun was class though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I love Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga, but Joseph Gilgun as always is absolutely phenomenal in this. When the first trailer came out, everyone seemed worried that he was doing a "Hollywood Oirish" accent based on the three/four words he said in it, but jaysus he's doing a better accent than I could, and the writers have done a good job at capturing the Irish turn of phrase, which is just as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I think its because he is a goodie and baddie, he literally knows right and wrong and as the bar scene shows takes action against wrong.

If the power is an object born of Good and Evil, it could only really find a host in Preacher.

Very enjoyable pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I agree, dreamers75.
    The first preacher appeared to be a "goodie". The second one seemed to be a "baddie" (horned goat figure on the church gate).
    Not sure which category Tom Cruise fits in!

• Advertisement

Is there actually an episode on next week? Amazon is saying June 6th for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

June 5th.

http://epguides.com/preacher/
    Even though the first episode aired on May 22nd, you won't get episode 2 until June 5th. Why? Because AMC is re-airing the pilot episode on May 29th instead. We don't quite get it, either, but it probably has something to do with the holiday weekend.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/preacher/244754/preacher-episode-2-trailer-air-date-episode-guide-and-more

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's a real pain in the ass. I was really looking forward to next week, that was probably the best opening episode to a series I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mental but enthralling!

Already more watchable than the last 2 seasons of TWD.

2nd ep was good, although still not sure what's going on or who everyone is.

Cassidy's accent seemed a little all over the place this week. That scene where he comes back into the church and tells the cowboy dudes that it's him they're looking for was particularly bad, accent wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This isn't really clicking with me. I liked the first episode, but didn't really 'get' the second one.

Cassidy's fight was good though - I got a definite Evil Dead vibe from it.

The promo for next week makes me want to stick with it a while longer.

Mr E wrote: »
    This isn't really clicking with me. I liked the first episode, but didn't really 'get' the second one.

It kind of has the feel it might be something best binge watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I can understand that, there's a lot being set up for the future episodes, so the average punter who's not read the comics would be left wondering what's going on (for example with the stuff in the wild west).

Judging by the first couple of episodes I think it will be a really good series and will be well worth sticking with.

I roared laughing at Cassidy's reaction to seeing Arseface for the first time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It kind of has the feel it might be something best binge watched.
    I can understand that, there's a lot being set up for the future episodes, so the average punter who's not read the comics would be left wondering what's going on (for example with the stuff in the wild west).

Judging by the first couple of episodes I think it will be a really good series and will be well worth sticking with.

I roared laughing at Cassidy's reaction to seeing Arseface for the first time :D

Yeah, not entirely clicking with me either. I can tell it's good, I see the potential, and I like everyone involved both in front of and behind the camera, but I just can't get into the swing of it for some reason.

Think I might wait until the whole season has aired and then binge the whole thing - possibly read the comics in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

Thought it was just me who had problems with that episode. It just seemed crazy and a bit unhinged. Not much really made sense and I could guess that maybe they were setting things up but the result wasn't that satisfying. Cassidy's accent annoyed me too. I was genuinely surprised after the first episode how well the accent was done but this time round it was all over the place and I even detected twangs of the actor's english accent at times. To my mind, if a bigger budget and higher profile series was involved here, Colin Farrell would be cast as Cassidy. I'm not knocking the actor playing Cassidy, he's doing a great job but I'm not up for a rotating accent as it pulls you out of the story. I think thsi could be abinge watch show alright. It's going to be hard watching week to week if they line up more episodes like the one just gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

in fairness it isn't really aimed at an Irish audience so to even get that level of accent acting is way better than the twee brogue accent that the yanks do which would be worse

Unless there's some sort of specific relevance to him being Irish why didn't they just let him be English? I like Gilgun and I think he could probably play the character in exactly the same way with his own Manchestery/Yorkshire accent. I haven't read the comics so maybe he had to be Irish but they changed Tulip from a white blonde lady didn't they?

As Skerries says though, it's not aimed at an Irish audience, I don't think any channel will even pick it up here, so they're not going to overly stress themselves with that part of it. As weird as it was in ep2 it's still not the worst attempt at an Irish accent I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I loved it (bar the accent which was shocking this week) There is alot going on but I love where its going so far

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Whatever about not catering to Irish audiences doors it not drive Americans, especially southerners, mental listening to Brits and Yankees mangle their accents week in week out?

Whatever about not catering to Irish audiences doors it not drive Americans, especially southerners, mental listening to Brits and Yankees mangle their accents week in week out?

I've wondered this too. Jessie and Tulip's accents sound fine to me, however they don't sound like they grew up in the same place, which I assume they're supposed to have done? No idea what their accents sound like to someone actually from..... Texas?

I remember reading Michael Raymond Jones on True Blood did dialect lessons to perfect the southern/Cajun/Lousiana accent and thought it funny because everyone else on the show was just doing their own variant of the stereotypical Southern accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

In fairness, Ruth Negga's doing a great job. Cooper, not so much...

In fairness, Ruth Negga's doing a great job. Cooper, not so much...

Lucy Griffiths' accent sounds okay to me too.

I think there's a tendency to go too far into sounding like a cowboy when doing a Southern accent. Given the size of the area covered by those states it makes sense there's different dialects across states, never mind between them. Dolly Parton, for example, sounds nothing like Jennifer Lawrence who sounds nothing like Matthew McConaugheyhey.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The guy from Rectify is probably the best foreigner/southerner accent I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Unless there's some sort of specific relevance to him being Irish why didn't they just let him be English? I like Gilgun and I think he could probably play the character in exactly the same way with his own Manchestery/Yorkshire accent. I haven't read the comics so maybe he had to be Irish but they changed Tulip from a white blonde lady didn't they?

As Skerries says though, it's not aimed at an Irish audience, I don't think any channel will even pick it up here, so they're not going to overly stress themselves with that part of it. As weird as it was in ep2 it's still not the worst attempt at an Irish accent I've heard.

There's a large part of Cassidy's personality that has roots in his history as an Irish person. They would have to seriously change his storyline if he wasn't Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Still not sure what to make of this show yet, seems quite unhinged and bit all over the place at the moment but we're only 2 episodes in.

The Irish accent was good in the 1st episode (to what we're usually subjected to) but definitely seemed all over the place this time around, the southern accents are a bit sketchy this time around as well.

Seems like it has potential so will stick with it for the moment.

Advertisement