Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preacher [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I first read Preacher about 14 years ago and was blown away. Recently enough bought the new editions and they sit proudly on my comic book shelf. So I'm invested. But even still, I'm finding the pace of the show a little off... I know they dot want to blow their load early on but with only 10 episodes this season, it's already got the feeling of AMC's other big show, The Walking Dead, in that it kinda feels like they're trying to just get through most of the series and have some big moments in the finale. The stuff that's there is great but I think they need to step things up a little to keep more casual viewers interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

I love it so far, it seems like a cross between supernatural, banshee and evil dead. Have no knowledge of the comics, and although I'm lost, I'm totally hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

"Like I said padré, no trouble...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well, ep 3 was definite filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well, ep 3 was definite filler.

The series stormed out of the gate, then took a hiatus which sort of sabotaged any momentum of viewership it might build up and then delived two rather mediocre filler episodes. I'm not sure what AMC are doing here.
    The cast are killing it I have to say (particularly Ruth Nega), but as sombody that's never read the comics, I'm more tempted to pick up a graphic novel version of Preacher and read the full tale then I am to wonder where the show is going.
    It's only a 6 episode season I think, so I'm hoping it picks up the pace in the next three or I'm dubious about it holding my intrest for a second season.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    The series stormed out of the gate, then took a hiatus which sort of sabotaged any momentum of viewership it might build up and then delived two rather mediocre filler episodes. I'm not sure what AMC are doing here.
    The cast are killing it I have to say (particularly Ruth Nega), but as sombody that's never read the comics, I'm more tempted to pick up a graphic novel version of Preacher and read the full tale then I am to wonder where the show is going.
    It's only a 6 episode season I think, so I'm hoping it picks up the pace in the next three or I'm dubious about it holding my intrest for a second season.

Heartily endorse picking up the GNs over the show. As you said, it started great but unfortunately I think AMC are having their way with this, just like they are with TWD. Essentially being like "Wow, you've got a great cast and 5 seasons worth of amazing material to draw from. Let's try stretch that to 10 seasons instead."

So they end up with one good episode for every three fillers. Start and end the season with something strong and hope it brings people back.

My prediction for something this season: Comic Book
    The story of the Saint of Killers will be stretched out for the whole season with him appearing in the present day in the S1 finale for a cliff-hanger

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really enjoying this show, as if the GF, who took a bit of convincing to even turn on the pilot.

I'm aware the comics/GN are a thing, and fully plan to buy and read them. Might wait for season one to finish before buying them, don't know. At €20+ a pop might just pickup 1-2 to start off.

As for the show, I'm really liking it. Find it compelling, gripping and pretty funny. I don't mind the guys accent, think its actually really good and the mannerisms are excellent.

Few mentions of the pacing, can't say I'm find it an issue. Similar to many of these adoptations, there needs to be a general audience consensus taken. I find there are still some pretty obvious "er you going to address that at all" but so far three episodes in I've enjoyed every one, and we are both enthused about keeping it up. That's all that matters for us really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well i haven't seen the 3rd episode yet. From the last time i read the comics about 8 years ago, as far as i recall, the character development wasn't too dragged out. From the first 2 episodes, they still haven't shown us yet who Jesse is. Maybe it's just a different way of telling the story for TV. But I think it's stunting the storyline myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

As a reader of the comics I just cant buy into Ruth Negga as Tulip

cronin_j wrote: »
    As a reader of the comics I just cant buy into Ruth Negga as Tulip

Weird, I buy her the most. What's not working for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,181 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ruth Negga is the standout in the whole thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Weird, I buy her the most. What's not working for you?
    The fact shes not blonde, she doesn't look like the killer she will have to be. I just don't think shes big enough to be Jessies protector physically, also the sex scenes, is she gonna get nekkid like in the comics.. i think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

The fact shes not blonde, she doesn't look like the killer she will have to be. I just don't think shes big enough to be Jessies protector physically, also the sex scenes, is she gonna get nekkid like in the comics.. i think not
    Spoilers for Comic readers:
    Since her introduction to Cass in the comics is after a botched hit, and it takes the events of all the comics to turn her into killer she will have to be (? - are you referencing the final shootout with the grail?) - im not sure i agree here. So far, all the characters are really pushed further than they were at the start of the comic (making Jessies father a priest too for example).

Jessies protector ? - not sure what you are referencing here.

She was partially nude in love/hate - i dont see AMC going much further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Might be done with this if it doesn't pick up in the next episode.

Nothings happening and i don't really care about any of the characters. Shame, the comics were really good but they've actually changed it for the worse.

It's definitely missing something to give it that x factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

What's the story with changing the TV show so very much and deviating from the original comic book? Would it truly have been that difficult to tell it in much the same way but with extra scope as it's dynamic TV rather than static pictures?

Or am I very naiive?

I gotta say I find those criticisms pretty thin. There's really nothing in Tulip's character that relies on her being blonde or physically big. As for not looking like a killer, I mean, what does that even really mean? She's not supposed to make you believe she can take a life by being blonde and tall; her performance should dictate how she comes across and, so far, I think she's doing great. Also, holding it against her that she's probably not gonna get naked is really weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

I think I'll check back in when the series finale checks in.
    To be honest, everything I feared would happen when AMC took this on, has happened. Between budget cuts and taking 30 minutes to get to a cliffhanger, it's just terrible.

The series could have at least 6 or 7 seasons if you followed the comics. Tight, fantastical destruction and devastation. Instead, we have two characters who were never in the series (organ player and mayor) with their own boring, nonsense side plot. The best scenes occur when Jesse, Cassidy and Tulip are interacting: coincidence? Yet they have about 3 minutes of screentime together. Not to mention Jesse's father. That's a fcuk up if I ever saw one.

I think this proves that only HBO or (maybe) Showtime could really take a show like this on. Not because of the gore or sex or adult material, but because they know how to structure the life cycle of an adaptation. Look at Game of Thrones: the show has already passed out the book in 6 seasons, to great effect. I doubt we'll even get to the end of the first graphic novel (issue 7 of 66) by the end of this season, in addition to the other story threads being alluded to.

Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I think they just want to make it Banshee with some supernatural stuff thrown in.

When Cassidy mentioned "going on a road trip" i thought that they were finally going to leave the town and get the story going but, nope, still dealing with the 'quirky' side-characters in bum-****, Nowhere-ville.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

This is losing me quick enough now, and I loved the comics - one more episode and then I'm waiting for a post-season report as to whether or not to bother on the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where do I know the preacher's father from?

Mr Freeze in Gotham and also in Billions.

House of Cards.

Billions and Meechum, yeah. Thanks.

This is losing me quick enough now, and I loved the comics - one more episode and then I'm waiting for a post-season report as to whether or not to bother on the rest.

Well it's only six episodes so..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lunger

Or ten as IMDB has. Where's the 6 coming from exactly?

My series guide app. Is it definitely 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

Wasn't just me so! I was pretty tired last night and I watched Preacher but pretty much zoned out. I'd put it down to the tiredness but, really, I think it had to do with the episode not being particularly interesting. When I zoned back in towards the end I realised I hadn't really missed anything major. It's not like GoT, or more relevantly, Better Call Saul where significant things can happen. It was just like a filler episode, but all the episodes have been like that so far. They need to start picking up a story soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

My series guide app. Is it definitely 10?

Everything I've heard is 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Losing interest in the show, GF and I were chatting away about something else for ages while this was on and we realised we missed nothing at all when we brought our attention back to it.

It just isn't doing anything for me really, will stick it out until the end of the season but I don't see myself coming back for season 2.

Advertisement