Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preacher [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

didn't really take to it. I gave it 3 episodes but with the horrible attempt at an irish accent etc. I will pass on watching the rest of it. It did seem promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

cronin_j wrote: »
    As a reader of the comics I just cant buy into Ruth Negga as Tulip

They've changed the character aswell as her look. Gilgun does a very good Cassidy and does kinda looks like him. Cooper looks like Jesse and seems to be doing an okay job. Megga does not look like the origional Tulip but also the character has been changed. The rocket launcher made of tin cans was a poor intro. They seem to be going for the 'good at everything' root with her which will make her unrelatable. They have her being kind of a d*ck too but she is not charasmatic enough to pull it off.

The accents seem okay. Gilguns hasn't bothered me yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Caught up on the last 2 eps there. I don't know... it feels like we're still pretty much where we were after the pilot?

Preacher has a power, some people want it back, Tulip wants Jesse back, Cassidy is a vampire, Emily(?) fancies Preacher, Arseface has an arse for a face. I knew all this after the pilot, apart from learning that Tulip's mission was a revenge one I don't know what exactly has happened over the other 4 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don't like it. I think I'll stop.

I'll watch this thread and see if it gets any better by the end. Could be worth a binge later this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This weeks episode was a bit better, felt like there was an actual story there instead of it meandering about aimlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they really to hurry the fúck up with the
    Killer of Saints
    plot line

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm in the same boat. Got Sunday's episode sitting waiting for me but I can't be bothered watching

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I am struggling to see " do Gods Work " equate to shooting dead 4 people , does it wear off or can his interpretation allow him to still do evil ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Skerries wrote: »
    Killer of Saints
    plot line

I suspect his arc will be for Season 2 and we will get snippets leading to him becoming
    Saint of Killers
    through out this season

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ahem.
    Saint of Killers

:pac:

I must say, I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement

I am struggling to see " do Gods Work " equate to shooting dead 4 people , does it wear off or can his interpretation allow him to still do evil ****

I'd assume it's down to individual interpretation of what God's work entails. Fundamentalist terrorists think they're doing "God's work".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Skerries wrote: »
    Killer of Saints
    plot line

I think that's going to be in the season finale due to the amount of CGI/special effects required if they stick anyway close to the source material.

Overall an improvement on previous episodes as stuff actually happened but still to slow a burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I find it really enjoyable and initally I was wholly against Gilgun's Cassidy but as the show goes on I've started to make peace with the fact that it's a very targeted performance and it really does actually work quite well.

Dominic Cooper is great as Jesse, Gilgun equally so as Cassidy, and Earle Haley puts in an excellent Quincannon...but the script is just incredibly lacking, it feels like it's just coasting along - almost filler material despite the richness of the source material.

Ep4 was a marked improvement though and the Saint of Killers segment was excellent. They need to do more though, big time, because they'll kill it through indifference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mr E wrote: »
    I don't like it. I think I'll stop.

I'll watch this thread and see if it gets any better by the end. Could be worth a binge later this summer.

Yeah I'm 2 eps behind now cos I just wasn't enjoying it. I'll keep an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

I find it really enjoyable and initally I was wholly against Gilgun's Cassidy but as the show goes on I've started to make peace with the fact that it's a very targeted performance and it really does actually work quite well.

Dominic Cooper is great as Jesse, Gilgun equally so as Cassidy, and Earle Haley puts in an excellent Quincannon...but the script is just incredibly lacking, it feels like it's just coasting along - almost filler material despite the richness of the source material.

Ep4 was a marked improvement though and the Saint of Killers segment was excellent. They need to do more though, big time, because they'll kill it through indifference.
    I'm thoroughly enjoying it I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

This week's episode was an improvement but I use that term relatively. It did start to feel like th show was going somewhere and the ending was pretty good. It didn't make a lot of sense but at least something happened. The two guys from heaven would want to get the hell on with what they're trying to do. The weakest piece was Tulip this week. She was just there. Not really sure what the point of her scenes were. Jesse wasn't always a preacher and we learned he was a badass. So what? Not a lot happened but just enough things went down to keep it interesting. Much improvement needed though. For a new show with obvious potential it's lost it's gloss very quickly.

• Having no previous knowledge of the comics, I'm enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Would it just f@cking do something!!
    Has there even actually been a mention of that "terrible band" yet?

• It seems that most of the people that dislike it have read or have experience with the comic. I really do think it's quite enjoyable. Good acting, interesting characters, a surprisingly good Irish accent, and a decent level of gore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

I haven't read the comic. I didn't actually know anything about the comic until the show started so I did a quick scan of Wikipedia on it but that's all. I'd still class myself as a pair of fresh eyes really watching the show. All I'm seeing though is a show just chugging along doing the absolute minimum it must each week to progress the story. I'm starting to watch just so I can come away impressed with how they manage to pad 10 minutes of actual story out to 42 minutes of showtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This feels like... Preacher: Anville Stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Barely know anything about Preacher as well beside having seen it on shelves but GF and I are struggling with it. For me the show just feels like it's dragging too slowly for it's first few episodes, despite having good production values.

But will hold out until the end of the season before I make my mind up as this week's episode was an improvement.

It seems that most of the people that dislike it have read or have experience with the comic. I really do think it's quite enjoyable. Good acting, interesting characters, a surprisingly good Irish accent, and a decent level of gore.

I think it's more that people who have read the comics are frustrated about something specific, as in they know what it is they're waiting to see happen.

For the rest of us we're not sure what's even going on never mind where it's going, or even if it's going anywhere.

It's moving extremely slowly considering how much goes in in the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've read the comics but the reason I'm not fond of the series is more to do with the fact that it's so slow moving. I haven't watched the latest episode but for a show with only 10 episodes in a season, it seems to be treading water as if it was a full 22 episode season.
    They say they want to tell the story before the comic but clearly there wasn't much to tell so they're dragging it out.

I'd say the reason for the renewal is more that they don't want to admit they got it wrong than it's doing well. Maybe they'll take the criticism on board and move quicker next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It has a very strong season 2 of TWD being stuck on the farm doing nothing vibe coming off it.

• It might be because I've gotten used to other series like Bloodlines, which also was incredibly slow moving, that I've had no issue with the pacing of this.

Bloodline didn't really have a huge story, it was just told well and peppered with great performances. If people knew just how huge Preacher gets in the comics they'd know that this would wanna get a move on soon.

• Advertisement

It might be because I've gotten used to other series like Bloodlines, which also was incredibly slow moving, that I've had no issue with the pacing of this.

I think slow moving is fine if you can watch it all in one go, or at least a few episodes at a time. Preacher might be better if watched all at once after it airs on TV.

I've said this before about a few shows, and I'm not sure it applies entirely to Preacher, but, the Scandi/Nordic TV shows all have that slow burn feel to them and they've been hugely successful in the English speaking world and seem to have influenced a lot of more recent British and US TV shows. The problem is that it's not as easy as just feeding a story slowly through 6 or 10 episodes. Things like Happy Valley, Rectify, Bloodlines, River get it right. I can't think of the names of any shows that get it wrong right now but that's because I stopped watching them after one or two episodes. There was one on BBC a while ago with Anne Marie Duff in it, was rubbish.

But getting back to Preacher, given there's a lot of source material to work with, it seems to me it would have been better taking the approach of something like The 100, that burns through a lot of story very quickly but still manages to build a world and have some great character driven stuff in it too.

Advertisement