Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iherb Food Items - VAT charges + €10 DHL charge over orders €22+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Anyone gone the skow post way and avoided the customs,It would be a real shame if this site is going to flag up every way with customs and their meddling paws.

Going slow post doesn't avoid customs. Just make sure iherb label the contents correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Going slow post doesn't avoid customs.
    I find it does help a lot, as do many posters in the "online buying" forum. Couriers could not care less how little VAT they are collecting, they will jump at the chance to charge their admin fees if they can. I have never once had something which could have been charged for VAT slip through a courier, with an post I have had 100's of packages slip through uncharged. I would presume an post have limited people to process them so will go after higher value items.

Also I believe an post will blitz post coming from certain suppliers, as I guess it might all arrive in one group or that the packages & invoices etc are so similar that you can have a dedicated worker processing say play.com or iherb.com parcels, who can fly through the paperwork.

Also slow post will be cheaper so the lower shipping costs might keep you under the limit.

iHerb themselves recommend standard post to avoid customs.

http://www.iherb.com/info/international
    As a general rule:
    Orders going through DHL or UPS have tracking information, and are delivered a lot quicker than International Airmail.
    Orders going through International Airmail are scrutinized less by customs in your country and subject to less custom duties, but have no tracking information, and take longer for delivery.

rubadub wrote: »
    I find it does help a lot, as do many posters in the "online buying" forum. Couriers could not care less how little VAT they are collecting, they will jump at the chance to charge their admin fees if they can. I have never once had something which could have been charged for VAT slip through a courier, with an post I have had 100's of packages slip through uncharged. I would presume an post have limited people to process them so will go after higher value items.

Also I believe an post will blitz post coming from certain suppliers, as I guess it might all arrive in one group or that the packages & invoices etc are so similar that you can have a dedicated worker processing say play.com or iherb.com parcels, who can fly through the paperwork.

Also slow post will be cheaper so the lower shipping costs might keep you under the limit.

iHerb themselves recommend standard post to avoid customs.

http://www.iherb.com/info/international

Every shipment goes through customs, dhl have absolutely no influence over what is pulled for vat verification and what is not - nor do An Post. If customs are cracking down on iherb then any iherb branded shipment will be flagged for review, whether it is DHL, UPS or An Post.

No matter what iherb are saying all these shipments go through the same conveyor belt in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 t_dog

Has anyone been able to get iHerb to include the invoice or label the items/package correctly..?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

t_dog wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to get iHerb to include the invoice or label the items/package correctly..?

No. They're really annoying me.
    I contacted them and they said for environmental reasons they've gone paperless.

I don't think they'll care until they see a huge decline in irish orders.

• Advertisement

rustyzip wrote: »
    No. They're really annoying me.
    I contacted them and they said for environmental reasons they've gone paperless.

I don't think they'll care until they see a huge decline in irish orders.

Customs will accept an email, just forward it onto DHL (pop.imports@dhl.com) and include your awb.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Keep us informed if you dont mind.

will do, package is currently in CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA, so hopefully will have it before Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Ok, ordered 2 separate shipments, few hours apart

Box A : under €20 including postage

Box B: 2 boxes of quest bars, plus €8 HDL shipment fee

Both shipped with DHL

Delivered at same time, no fees to be paid

Luck of the draw, I guess….

Every shipment goes through customs, dhl have absolutely no influence over what is pulled for vat verification and what is not - nor do An Post.
    I am not sure how it works but all I know is I rarely get charged vat when its due if its through normal post, I have gotten stuff clearly marked as €350 worth get through. And I have always been charged by couriers, always.

I would be interested to hear the lowest amounts people have been charge VAT for, and if this was through normal post or DHL.

The effective limit is €26.08, as revenue state they do not collect VAT below €6, so the €26.08 limit is based on 23% VAT.

I am not sure how it works but all I know is I rarely get charged vat when its due if its through normal post, I have gotten stuff clearly marked as €350 worth get through. And I have always been charged by couriers, always.

I would be interested to hear the lowest amounts people have been charge VAT for, and if this was through normal post or DHL.

The effective limit is €26.08, as revenue state they do not collect VAT below €6, so the €26.08 limit is based on 23% VAT.

I probably ship a lot more though couriers than you would as i do it for work. I've had items shipped via couriers valued at 10k not be stopped and items valued at 200 be stopped and held for 3 weeks while they look for invoices. Customs usually randomly pick out shipments, some they will open and rigorously inspect and some they will just send through again. Unless they are actively looking for shipments from a particular store (such as iherb) its just the luck of the draw.

Edit: i've had vat fees of 8 euro minimum that i can see, with a 50 cent admin charge.

• Advertisement

Right, so I'm just after placing an order after spending an age on revenue.ie looking at VAT rates..

All items I've ordered at at 0% tax here, and the order is below €150 so customs duty should not be charged.
    (Seasoning, food mixes/pancake mix, coconut and food supplements (magnesium))

Time to play the waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Just got a text from DHL. They are looking for €21.10, which is about €2 more than what I had worked it out to be. I'm not going to make a fuss and try and get a refund of just €2, but its anooying cos if everyone is overcharged bya couple of euro it soon adds up for the revenue!

So after making my customs payment yesterday, DHL have now informed me that the Dept of Agriculture have requested to re-inspect the package! Which can take up to another 72 hours. The woman at DHL said that its happening a lot with iHerb because the company is listed as providing medical supplies :confused:

I think this will be the last time we order form iherb now. With the extra costs from DHL and now this delay because they want to re-inspect some Clif bars and shampoo! Its just not worth it.

Dept of Agriculture
    Thats a new one to me. I have heard of the Irish Medicines Board, IMB, getting involved before.

iherb sell st. johns wort which cannot be bought here without prescription, there are probably others like this.

I think IMB were seizing fairly small packs of aspirin or maybe paracetomol too, people were buying from an online poundshop in the UK and adding small items to get over limit required for free delivery

They are looking for €21.10, which is about €2 more than what I had worked it out to be.
    This could be vat on the admin fee, which I think they can apply.

Ah the VAT on the admin fee makes sense.

Well we didn't order any medicines. Our order was -

Organic Onion Powder
    1 travel size shampoo
    1 travel size conditioner
    Electrolyte drink tablets
    A tote bag
    a pack of 3 organic tea bags
    2 boxes of clif bars
    Some organic sugar
    Organic ketchup
    trial pack of biotin supplements

I can't think of anything they would question. Plus we have ordered the same things before, recently enough and not had this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I normally get multi-vitamins and fish oil from them. Is the general consensus that I'll get hit with customs now?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Heatmachine1

robocode wrote: »
    I normally get multi-vitamins and fish oil from them. Is the general consensus that I'll get hit with customs now?

Yes,I am steering clear of iherb.
    its such a shame as I found what I need and now must put my trust in another product.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Thats a new one to me. I have heard of the Irish Medicines Board, IMB, getting involved before.

iherb sell st. johns wort which cannot be bought here without prescription, there are probably others like this.

iherb seem to have changed their policy on stuff like this. In the past any time I ordered something not available here, they sent it, no issue. With the obvious disclaimer that if it was seized it was my problem.

Since some time in January if you go to a product that is not available here, e.g. look at any product containing yohimbine/yohimbe, and there is a message on the page that says "at this time, due to regulations, this item is not allowed to be shipped to your region"

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

The Revenue have changed there policy on VAT as of yesterday evening. If the product is approved by the Irish Medicine Board the VAT is 0%, if its not on the list it is 23%.

DM-BM wrote: »
    there is a message on the page that says "at this time, due to regulations, this item is not allowed to be shipped to your region"
    I see this message for those products alright, but I was able to get to the stage of entering CC details when I tested if I could order st johns wort here.

I would not expect them to be aware of all the laws of various countries.

• Advertisement

I see this message for those products alright, but I was able to get to the stage of entering CC details when I tested if I could order st johns wort here.

I would not expect them to be aware of all the laws of various countries.

They should be.

So here's the latest I've heard:
    Been on to DHL twice this morning about the vat on my order. After being informed that 23% vat is being added onto EVERYTHING that is coming in from outside the eu, and that revenue hasn't updated their website yet.

Will be ringing someone in customs in Dublin airport to clarify this as all items in my order are at 0% vat in Ireland, so there shouldn't be any extra cost... Unless they're allowed to make a change and not inform anyone (by updating the website) and then catch everyone out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

t_dog wrote: »
    So here's the latest I've heard:
    Been on to DHL twice this morning about the vat on my order. After being informed that 23% vat is being added onto EVERYTHING that is coming in from outside the eu, and that revenue hasn't updated their website yet.

Will be ringing someone in customs in Dublin airport to clarify this as all items in my order are at 0% vat in Ireland, so there shouldn't be any extra cost... Unless they're allowed to make a change and not inform anyone (by updating the website) and then catch everyone out...
    which is what seems like is happing right now.

Typical BS from people here in ireland where its add on costs and hope to feck that people DONT question things as irish people accept and dont make complaints.

Can you post up phone numbers and people to call for future reference as have had this happen wholesale with clients in the last month and very little progress on it i.e. there should be ZERO vat on 99% of the orders you make from iherb.

also anyone know what products defo come under the 23% vat rate - guessing whey protein is there but quest bars, nut butter, digestive enzymes etc??

So far today I have been onto two DHL departments and onto customs in Dublin airport.

TBH it sounds like there's a lot of confusion about the charges. Customs in the airport didn't say that the VAT rates were changed by revenue and tried to say that my order was charged because of the VAT rate in Ireland. When I gave a few examples of the 0% VAT items that I ordered, he got a bit confused and gave me a number for the people that can provide the proper breakdown of the VAT on my order, and who I should apply for a refund from. Will follow up on it on Tuesday.

Was also advised to get the SAD (single administration document) from DHL so that the VAT people have the proper breakdown. I think this is the main document that's needed, along with the invoice, to apply for a refund/correct the charges.

Funnily enough my order arrived into work and the nice DHL guy just left my order with me, and said I can pay again.. I didn't think that I would get it without paying the charges, but I suppose I'll start getting a pile of emails/calls about it when I don't pay....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Newbie4Ever

podgie do you have a link to the change of policy?

What is vatable and what is not? Massive can of worms.

If podgie is correct then everything coming in will be hit - approval means it is a specific product not a general area which would need to have the necessary licence.

i.e. fish oils vs now foods fish oils etc.

Given most of these are what we class as food supplements and also given most are US brands why would any of them bother with the expense of being approved as a medicine in Ireland?

Whey is not even clear cut atm - a large health food wholesaler is testing the interpretation of the law!

Bottom line here though is IMO - if in doubt they will hit it with vat - not right but what realistically can you do about it?

There will be a legal case over this and lets hope the state does not win!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cagefactor

got charged 33 euro this morning for 100 Euro worth of products.

Controlled Labs, Orange Triad, Multi-Vitamin, Joint, Digestion & Immune Formula, 270 Tablets(COL-00140)
    $36.19
    Primaforce, ALCAR, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Unflavored, Powder, 250 g (PMF-01019)
    $21.10
    Muscle Pharm, Amino 1, Revolutionary Sports Performance Recover Fuel, Fruit Punch, 0.94 lb (427.8 g)(MSF-85872)
    $24.94
    Optimum Nutrition, Essential AmiN.O. Energy, Fruit Fusion, 1.29 lbs (585 g) (OPN-02337)
    $44.62

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

I had $40 worth off stuff that arrived by post on Tuesday. It wasn't charged any customs, in spite of the fact that the value of the supplies was on the package.

cagefactor wrote: »
    got charged 33 euro this morning for 100 Euro worth of products.
    Mofty wrote: »
    I had $40 worth off stuff that arrived by post on Tuesday.
    Courier or normal post?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

Courier or normal post?
    Normal post.

• Advertisement

Has anyone requested their SAD from DHL to see the breakdown of charges?

iHerb originally lost my order, so sent a replacement. The replacement was received, DHL requested for €18.50 to be paid, I refused, but the guy left the order with me last week.

Got another text from DHL this week, looking for €18.50 on an order they were going to try to deliver, it was the original order that iHerb lost, and I paid the €18.50.

Requested the two SADs from DHL, but here's where things get funny.
    The first order I received, had the correct invoice amount on the SAD, and said that VAT was at 23% on the total paid.
    The second order I received had an invoice amount of over twice the amount I paid to iHerb, and said that there was no VAT to be paid.

Both orders contained the exact same thing, got told that I owed €18.50 on both to be delivered, but only one of the SADs say that I should have been charged the €18.50.

I feel like I'm running in circles...with revenue and DHL.

I also have more coconut than I know what to do with it......

Advertisement