Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2015 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nicolaforest

Welcome fuffle and congrats! I bet you're dying to move back home and have your family and friends around, it must be tough at the moment. Best of luck getting settled and hopefully finding work!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭tryagain2012

congrats and welcome to all going to tell my best friend this evening and leave it a few weeks before telling anyone else just find shes the one im having to lie the most to. so so so very nauseous from about 4 every afternoon and lasts all evening dont remember it being this bad on previous pregnancys think I need to eat and then feel worse after I eat not getting sick at least hope every one is keeping well

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fuffle

Thanks everyone!

Yeah I can't wait to get home, see my doctor and all, no GPs over here want to take me on given that I'm going home so they're all very vague with their info saying "I'm sure they do things differently in Ireland so best not to confuse you" - jee, thanks, I'm flailing in the dark here! Haha

My work have been very good here though, my contract is up for renewal 3 weeks before I head back to the home country, so they're extending it for 3 weeks when they really don't have to.

How's everyone else feeling, other than tired? When are all your first scans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I'm not tired at all, the one and only symptom I have consistently is little cramps now and then, but it's only for a few minutes a day. I am totally gone off sweet things, which is really unlike me, but it's meant that I've lost a couple of pounds and am nearly at my ideal weight, so that's a good place to be starting this whole thing :)

My first scan won't be until mid October, 12 weeks. Just made an appt now with my gp to confirm the pregnancy late next week.

I'm not tired at all, the one and only symptom I have consistently is little cramps now and then, but it's only for a few minutes a day.

Oh the lols! Exhausted today, with lots of stretching/cramping during the night and all afternoon. That'll teach me!

• Advertisement

Oh the lols! Exhausted today, with lots of stretching/cramping during the night and all afternoon. That'll teach me!

with ya on that im wrecked today and first day I really felt the tiredness and very nauseous but all for a good reason :-D

with ya on that im wrecked today and first day I really felt the tiredness and very nauseous but all for a good reason :-D

I really hope I don't get nauseous, good reason or no good reason I absolutely hate being nauseous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sinead30

Hi girls, I'm a little confused (it seems to be the theme of my pregnancy
    ) but am hoping someone out there can put my mind to rest again. I have registered my pregnancy with holles st but have made my first appointment for sept 29th in their satellite clinic in greystones, where I live. I was given the choice between holles st and greystones, and being told I would get the same treatment in both, I opted for greystones as it would be so much handier. Anyway shortly after making the appointment I received a letter telling me to book a scan in hollow st- I did this on the internet, giving my due date etc, and was posted a letter saying my scan would take place on Dec 2nd!
    Today I rang holles st, as there was no answer in greystones, to check that my first app (I.e sept 29th in greys) would include a scan...I learned that I wouldn't be getting scanned that day, Dec would be my first!!! She told me that scans are usually only done at 12 weeks if there is a cause for concern and that even if I had booked holles st I wouldn't be certain of one either.
    Please help as I was under the impression everyone got them at 12 weeks.Is this not the only way to tell that everything is how/where it should be? We have been waiting for the scan before we start telling people.
    Thanks for reading- I know I've rambled!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Sinead30 is this your first? On my first i didn't get a scan until 17 / 18 weeks was only on my second & third I had ones around 12 weeks. Not sure if its routine for first pregnancy's not to get a 12 week scan. I'm going to waterford regional hospital and found out today my first scan will be the 3rd of October ill be 13 weeks+1 day. Is it possible for you to maybe book a private scan at 12 weeks if their not gonna scan you?

Hi loopyLolly, thanks for the reply. Yea it's my first. Am glad to hear that it's not unusual. Perhaps I should book a private appointment, does anyone know if this would have to be in Holles St or am I free to go anywhere? How much would it cost? Or perhaps I'm being overly cautious, maybe I should just start telling people at 12 weeks and then wait patiently for the Dec scan??

• Advertisement

As far as I know you can go anywhere, not sure on prices but if you do a quick Google it should bring up places near you and there's usually prices on there. It's up to you really I'm not announcing properly until after my first scan wanting make sure everything is ok etc don't think I could wait until December for my scan.

sinead30 wrote: »
    Hi loopyLolly, thanks for the reply. Yea it's my first. Am glad to hear that it's not unusual. Perhaps I should book a private appointment, does anyone know if this would have to be in Holles St or am I free to go anywhere? How much would it cost? Or perhaps I'm being overly cautious, maybe I should just start telling people at 12 weeks and then wait patiently for the Dec scan??

im pregnant with my third and had appointments on around 12wks with first two im in the midlands I think id have to have a private scan id go mad waiting that long u would be free to go anywhere for ur private scan but they do vary alot in price so check around best of luck

Just had a look on ultrasound dimensions it's 105 for a scan at that stage, might want to check other places could be cheaper.

dating scan in mullingar scan me is €100 never used there but heard good reports

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nicolaforest

Sinead30, my first scan is around the twelve week mark (Coombe) but I've heard of women not getting one done until 16 or even 20 weeks in different hospitals. My friend is getting her first scan at 9 & a half weeks in Holles Street but she's private so maybe that's why.
    Defo can't imagine keeping my pregnancy a secret until December, you must be so frustrated. Hope you get sorted with an early one somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

sinead30 wrote: »
    Hi girls, I'm a little confused (it seems to be the theme of my pregnancy
    ) but am hoping someone out there can put my mind to rest again. I have registered my pregnancy with holles st but have made my first appointment for sept 29th in their satellite clinic in greystones, where I live. I was given the choice between holles st and greystones, and being told I would get the same treatment in both, I opted for greystones as it would be so much handier. Anyway shortly after making the appointment I received a letter telling me to book a scan in hollow st- I did this on the internet, giving my due date etc, and was posted a letter saying my scan would take place on Dec 2nd!
    Today I rang holles st, as there was no answer in greystones, to check that my first app (I.e sept 29th in greys) would include a scan...I learned that I wouldn't be getting scanned that day, Dec would be my first!!! She told me that scans are usually only done at 12 weeks if there is a cause for concern and that even if I had booked holles st I wouldn't be certain of one either.
    Please help as I was under the impression everyone got them at 12 weeks.Is this not the only way to tell that everything is how/where it should be? We have been waiting for the scan before we start telling people.
    Thanks for reading- I know I've rambled!

Hi Sinead30

I didn't go to holles st myself but I know that standard policy there is first scan at 20 weeks in a public patient with an otherwise uncomplicated pregnancy.
    They will use a Doppler to listen for a heartbeat at your 12 weeks booking appointment though.
    I'd say the wait would be unbearable. I think private early scans are around €100 in most places.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Sinead there's a place in Bray that do a dating scan up to 11 weeks for €99.
    Crazy that you'd have to pay for a private dating scan but if you wanted there is that opion.
    I'm in the Coombe & I get my dating scan in 2 weeks when I'll be 11w4d, you'd imagine that would be standard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions/advice, I don't know what I'd do without this site. I think I'll give the place in Bray a ring and make an appointment.

going to gp for first appointment in the morning think im 7 weeks tomorrow hoping all goes well. so nauseous this time dont remember being this bad before Asked chemist about the pregnancy vitamins cause im struggling to eat well she said not to take them till after the 12 weeks because they will make me more nauseous just ensure to take the folic acid

• Advertisement

I had my gp appointment today to confirm the pregnancy, the test came up "definitely positive" straight away which I guess is a good sign?

My husband said it all feels a bit more real for him now, just seeing the little pregnancy card/file thing I have now. The doctor was quite nice, I'd never met her before. She was pretty chilled and told me my regular massages for back pain are completely fine, I can tell the masseuse I'm pregnant if I want but it doesn't really matter. Nice to hear somebody not scaremongering!

We're considering a private scan at 8-9 weeks, with knowing since I was a few hours late at 4 weeks 12 weeks seems years away, I'm being all morbid and pessimistic but at least if there's no heartbeat we'd know earlier, than having to wait for the 12 week scan just before I go abroad for work, when I don't want to be dealing with bad news if it happens. (Obviously I know something can still go wrong after a positive early scan, but there's less chance at least).

Still haven't told anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mopsy06

Hi Ladies, congrats to you all. I'm also due 13th of April. Second pregnancy but can't come to terms with it yet. I will have an 8 year gap between this baby and my ds. I can't imagine loving someone the same as I love my ds, and am completely terrified I won't bond with this baby. Has anyone who's had more than one ever felt like this?

Hi Ladies, congrats to you all. I'm also due 13th of April. Second pregnancy but can't come to terms with it yet. I will have an 8 year gap between this baby and my ds. I can't imagine loving someone the same as I love my ds, and am completely terrified I won't bond with this baby. Has anyone who's had more than one ever felt like this?

mopsy06 wrote: »

I don't have any more kids but trust me, you will love this baby just as much as you love your son. Love for children multiplies, it's not a finite amount that has to be divided. Imagine it's 100% for each child, not 100% to be divided between your first and each subsequent child :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I was talking to my SIL about this recently because I'm not as 'consumed' (for want of a better word) with this pregnancy as I was with my first 3 years ago & my little boy is the centre of our universe. She said she was the v.same with her second but when her little boy was born she was filled with the same amount of love for him, they have a really strong bond now & he's a real mammies boy:)

Baby4 wrote: »
    Hi Loopylolly,

I will be going to WRH too. Can I ask- are you due early/mid/late April as far as you know?

I think I'm due around April 20th- but haven't received any letter from hospital yet about my scan date.

I'm due the 9th of April, I haven't received a letter yet either I just rang down to make sure I'm registered with them & she told me my appointment date. From what I remember letters arr sent out about 7-10 days before your appointment. If your impatient like me give them a ring.

Try not to worry its totally normal to feel like that, I did the same on my second but honestly once baby is born there's enough love to go around.

I had this exact conversation with my husband when I was expecting my second just couldn't see how I could love anyone as much as I did my daughter but you do totally and utterly now my little man is a real little mammys boy :-D

Thanks everyone xx. I'm crying here reading all your replies. Bloody hormones lol :-)

• Advertisement

So had my first GP appointment this morning (which i had to pay for, i know people were wondering) All went great im lucky to have a gp who has scanning facilities. Im 7.2 weeks due the 22nd of April. did the scan but didnt expect to see much but seen the little heart beat was really chuffed because i wasnt expecting that. Going back in 2 and a half weeks where she will scan me again and alot more will be visible. :D hope everyone is keeping well

Advertisement