Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMA Forum Charter and "Plan" discussion

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

AMAs with people just because it's their profession is boring really if it's all the time. Most people would know a guard and know what they do daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gits_bone wrote: »
    AMAs with people just because it's their profession is boring really if it's all the time. Most people would know a guard and know what they do daily.

That's the second time you've said that. Have you anything interesting about yourself you'd be willing to share? Or anyone specific you'd like to hear from?

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's the second time you've said that. Have you anything interesting about yourself you'd be willing to share? Or anyone specific you'd like to hear from?

Someone who travelled around Ireland that didn't pay any travel costs.

and yeah, I work as a lollipop lady, guess that qualifies me to do an AMA!

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Someone who travelled around Ireland that didn't pay any travel costs.

and yeah, I work as a lollipop lady, guess that qualifies me to do an AMA!

I recommend you have a nosey at this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Round-Ireland-Fridge-Tony-Hawks/dp/0312274920

I read it during the summer. Basically this English fella was over here and noticed a hitch-hiker with a bulky appliance and thought it as odd and wondered would it hinder the chances of him being picked up. A few weeks later he's back home in the pub and the conversation comes up about this awkward hitch-hiker. They start wondering how long the would-be traveller would have been waiting on a lift. Anyway, the English chap says he reckons he'd be able to do it with enough patience. They make a bet and the terms are that the guy has to hitch-hike around Ireland, with the fridge, depending on people's good will and hospitality. The time frame was 3 months and had to include all of the Republic of Ireland's perimeter. The wager was for 100 Pounds! Got coverage on Gerry Ryan etc!

Wait, where was I?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I heard Darragh D on newstalk today plugging this forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Have 2 that I would love to see happen.

Aircraft cabin crew. They must have some tales to tell about all sorts. Would love to know why they insist on the window blinds being open for landing. ;-)

Also someone who is wheelchair bound could be very very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

John_D80 wrote: »
    Have 2 that I would love to see happen.

Aircraft cabin crew. They must have some tales to tell about all sorts. Would love to know why they insist on the window blinds being open for landing. ;-)

Also someone who is wheelchair bound could be very very interesting.

I was thinking just this week that this would be one I won't want to read!
    A couple of pilots had their own anecdotes in the AH thread about mistakes at work and I was :eek:!
    I hope it can be done for those that are interested though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Isn't that so they can find you easier if the plane has crashed?

dulpit wrote: »
    Isn't that so they can find you easier if the plane has crashed?

I'm sure it's because it saves the crew having to open them before the next people get on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

A publican.
    Do they make much profit, have much troublemakers, are extortion rackets a thing, do the breweries have them by the balls, what are their opinions on minimum pricing, how commonly are spirits watered down, how risky is a lock-in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Some suggestions but I suppose you need volunteers first

Doctor (G.P.)
    Nurse
    Psychologist
    Priest
    Stay-at-home parent
    Working parent
    Crèche worker
    Writer
    Personal trainer

Someone suggested a Wheelchair user earlier in the thread. I'd like to second this. Thought that was a great shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

Marz66 wrote: »
    Some suggestions but I suppose you need volunteers first

Doctor (G.P.)
    Nurse
    Psychologist
    Priest
    Stay-at-home parent
    Working parent
    Crèche worker
    Writer
    Personal trainer
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Someone suggested a Wheelchair user earlier in the thread. I'd like to second this. Thought that was a great shout.
    Apart from Priest (but that'd be handy to fill), writer and wheelchair user, the rest of them are on Boards....or so they say.

No doubt the other 3 are aswell but I havent' noticed them.

I thought the Donovan one was very disappointing. It'd be much better to keep it to Boards users and not relatively famous people.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I thought the Donovan one was very disappointing. It'd be much better to keep it to Boards users and not relatively famous people.

Yeah he just wanted some extra publicity for his gig. Didn't even answer his questions like he was supposed to after the gig was done.

Never even heard of him before either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Agree he was a waste of time, but would be a shame if he soured the whole idea of getting interesting people in who aren't on boards. The current Goldenplec one is quite interesting and gives a bit of publicity to an Irish website (which I'm afraid I'd never heard of before this) and he is very open and answers the questions well imo.

To reiterate though Donovan was a complete and utter waste of time and actually annoyed me with how little effort he, or his management put in.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I think that it would be a shame to limit AMA's like that, based on one disappointing experience. The nature of AMA's is that some are simply going to be hit and miss, regardless of who is authoring them. Had you told me a month ago that an AMA from an insurance underwriter would get 200+ responses, I'd probably have laughed, but the thread speaks for itself. At the end of the day, the success of a thread is going to come down to the individual themselves, just as much as the topic they are discussing or how famous (or not) they happen to be.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I think that it would be a shame to limit AMA's like that, based on one disappointing experience. The nature of AMA's is that some are simply going to be hit and miss, regardless of who is authoring them. Had you told me a month ago that an AMA from an insurance underwriter would get 200+ responses, I'd probably have laughed, but the thread speaks for itself. At the end of the day, the success of a thread is going to come down to the individual themselves, just as much as the topic they are discussing or how famous (or not) they happen to be.

I wouldn't mind the odd one so long as it doesn't become the focus of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Id love to personally hear from a professional athlete or and get some insight into the dedication and training required for their chosen sport. Boxing \ Soccer \ Rugby \ Athletics \ Tennis etc. Even "non athletic" sports such as Darts \ Snooker \ Golf.

Id also love to hear from Inter County GAA players and what its like trying to balance basically being a professional athlete but not getting any financial reward for it and trying to earn a living outside of sport.

allybhoy wrote: »
    Id love to personally hear from a professional athlete or and get some insight into the dedication and training required for their chosen sport. Boxing \ Soccer \ Rugby \ Athletics \ Tennis etc. Even "non athletic" sports such as Darts \ Snooker \ Golf.

Id also love to hear from Inter County GAA players and what its like trying to balance basically being a professional athlete but not getting any financial reward for it and trying to earn a living outside of sport.

Some do get financially rewarded out of it and if you play county football you're pretty much guaranteed to get a job. They'll get you a job so you'll stay in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

allybhoy wrote: »

Theres a few pro thai boxers in the martial arts forum,same goes for the MMA forum.Conor McGregor also has/had an account and his posts were gas..think they were before he was 'big'too.

I'd love to hear from a car salesman.

-How much they add onto a cars price just to knock it off to make it out as a bargain.
    -The silliest offer they received.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,547 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

An Ask a muslim thread I think would be a good idea and an ask a trans person

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Conor McGregor also has/had an account and his posts were gas..think they were before he was 'big'too.

Can you remember the user name?

KaaaaaaPOW wrote: »

not of the top of my head.Will do a search and see if i can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It was NOTORIOUS of course!!

Seriously it was. He only had about 10 posts AFAIR.

Here's the link to the thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056446232

It was NOTORIOUS of course!!

Seriously it was. He only had about 10 posts AFAIR.

yeah 10 posts of him mouthing off:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

At least he's consistent ;)

I spoke to Coach Kavanagh (I've met him a few times, he's a real gentleman) about getting some of his time, but with the press hype both Conor and himself generate, it's not easy to get a spare few hours :) I might see if some of the other SBG lads like Cathal Pendred or Paddy Holohan might want to do it though. They've done work with our colleagues in The42 through a sponsorship deal before, so might be willing to be nice to us too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There are so many people I'd love to see on this forum, someone who is openly racist, homophobic, misogynist. Someone who was involved in a major situation like a bombing, 9/11, plane crash etc. I don't mind celebs but would prefer someone topical, a normal person who is in the news for some reason.

Advertisement