Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Screen Unseen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

It was The Florida Project.
    Excellent film with a startling performance from a 6 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From what I've seen on Letterboxd and Facebook, there were a LOT of unhappy viewers (and a lot of walk outs).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah here, walkouts? It's very likely the best film I've seen this year, amazed people would leave it. Absolute joy to watch, Brooklyn Prince gives probably the most brilliant child performance in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is this on once a month?

Usually 4-6 weeks, although there was only a 2 week gap this time. They mix in a few "scream unseen" (horror movie screenings) too.

The next one is a regular screen unseen on November 23rd.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Usually 4-6 weeks, although there was only a 2 week gap this time. They mix in a few "scream unseen" (horror movie screenings) too.

The next one is a regular screen unseen on November 23rd.

I think it's actually Monday 20th November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Ah here, walkouts? It's very likely the best film I've seen this year, amazed people would leave it. Absolute joy to watch, Brooklyn Prince gives probably the most brilliant child performance in recent memory.

Deadly. Trailer looks amazing.

I think it's actually Monday 20th November

Sorry, saw the 23rd on another site. You're probably right - it's usually a Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sorry to say but The Death of Stalin, despite its pedigree of writer and stars, just wasn't funny enough. A few walkouts at the screening I attended. I was quite disappointed.

Lots of laughs & no walkouts at the screening I attended last night.

Thought it flew by too, which is always a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I saw the Florida Project yesterday, a really excellent film! Powerful performances, an interesting story and masterfully authentic direction and production.

• Advertisement

New Screen Unseen tomorrow night.

The guys on letterbox'd seem to think that it will be Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (87 on Metacritic, 93 on RT)

https://letterboxd.com/mattevenson/list/odeon-screen-unseen/

Could be something completely different, but Three Billboards would be great.

New Screen Unseen tomorrow night.

The guys on letterbox'd seem to think that it will be Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (87 on Metacritic, 93 on RT)

https://letterboxd.com/mattevenson/list/odeon-screen-unseen/

Could be something completely different, but Three Billboards would be great.

Looking at the clues I don't see how it could be. That said, the clues they have given to every film over the last 6 months have made absolutely no sense. No-one has been able to explain the thinking behind the clues for Brigsby Bear. Sort of self defeating if the cliues are so opaque that no-one can decipher them.

Totally agree. I wish they'd explain them.

One comment on that link above is...
    Just got told by someone who works at ODEON that the Screen Unseen is Three Billboards! So excited because In Bruges is one of my favourite movies of all time.

... so that's the one I'm going on. :)

(even though anecdotally, I've heard that very few people in the Odeon know what it is, to prevent leaks).

So it was Three Billboards.

I went to the Disaster Artist because the time suited me better. Looking forward to seeing Three Billboards in early January. :)

It was Three Billboards though there were people there who thought it might be Coco. In fact there were people at my showing who had young kids with them and they were admitted which is a disgrace. That said, very good film. All three principals, McDormand, Harrelson, and Rockwell were uniformly excellent.

The rating for this movie was 16s (it was that rating on the Screen Unseen page on their site).
    Kids should not have been allowed near the place. :rolleyes:

The rating for this movie was 16s (it was that rating on the Screen Unseen page on their site).
    Kids should not have been allowed near the place. :rolleyes:

Agreed. The actual rating was 15A, and I'd say top of the range 15A, but their own advertising shows a 16 certificate. After about 10 minutes any parent would have known this was not suitable for an under 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

For anyone interested Scream Unseen is back on March 19th. This is the horror movie version of Screen Unseen.

Yep. First clue is:

1. "Driven, but doesn't drive"

The 4 clues are:

2. "Cleaning up since '99"
    3. "One dead duck"
    4. "He thought twice before cracking the mirror"

It's a tricky bunch of clues but people seem to be leaning towards Ghost Stories (with Unsane, A Quiet Place and the Strangers sequel also in the running).

I'm interested in all 4 so I'm going next Monday. :)

I hadn't heard of Ghost Stories, but it looks fantastic.

• Advertisement

The 4 clues are:

2. "Cleaning up since '99"
    3. "One dead duck"
    4. "He thought twice before cracking the mirror"

It's a tricky bunch of clues but people seem to be leaning towards Ghost Stories (with Unsane, A Quiet Place and the Strangers sequel also in the running).

I'm interested in all 4 so I'm going next Monday. :)

I hadn't heard of Ghost Stories, but it looks fantastic.

Thanks for that. I'm hoping for A Quiet Place myself but i'd be happy with any of them too. It probably won't be The Strangers sequel as Screen Unseen have a policy of never showing sequels or prequels so I assume it applies here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I’m hoping for a quiet place also

Copied from another site:

Cleaning up since 99 means it must be Ghost Stories. Jeremy Dyson has been working in tv and film since 1999, and Dyson = vacuum cleaner!

Copied from another site:

Cleaning up since 99 means it must be Ghost Stories. Jeremy Dyson has been working in tv and film since 1999, and Dyson = vacuum cleaner!
    Yeah it's seems certain to be that from looking at reddit and the like. One thing I was wrong about is the sequels thing. I forgot that a previous Screen Unseen was the Blair Witch sequel and Split was a kind of sequel aswell. I was at both of them too which shows how good my memory is :o

So it was in fact Ghost Stories

I think people laughed more than they were scared at my local showing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

dunworth1 wrote: »
    So it was in fact Ghost Stories

I think people laughed more than they were scared at my local showing

What did you think of it?

What did you think of it?

it was ok I was bored at times while watching it but it does have its moments and a good twist or two

I think I only jumped may 2 or 3 times so its not really scary

Screen Unseen on Tuesday 3rd April, yet not one clue as to the film and no tweets even from Odeon themselves. Seems odd.

The clues are on Odeon's Facebook page and on Reddit.

Clue 1: Stemming from a rough slice
    Clue 2: A multi-tasking scholar
    Clue 3: Once sang a solid song
    Clue 4: A looming dark tale with Smith

• Advertisement

The clues are on Odeon's Facebook page and on Reddit.

Clue 1: Stemming from a rough slice
    Clue 2: A multi-tasking scholar
    Clue 3: Once sang a solid song
    Clue 4: A looming dark tale with Smith

Any idea what it might be?

Advertisement