Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I keep telling you; he is 73 years old and he is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Robert Patterson Cast as Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoife2017

The Vampire Batman so...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Great Watchmen promo released then this news,the comic book god is cruel.

He can't be worse than Clooney can he.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Robert Patterson Cast as Batman.

I'm fine with this.....DCEU has ruined things for me to the point I don't care anymore about complaining. Let Reeves do his thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

In fairness, Patterson is a decent actor, he's just cursed with those gay shiny vampire movies on his CV forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pattinson is a great choice and anyone who thinks "Twilight" clearly hadn't been paying attention to this career...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

judeboy101 wrote: »
    In fairness, Patterson is a decent actor, he's just cursed with those gay shiny vampire movies on his CV forever.

Exactly. I never rated Patterson then I watched the film Good Time and it shocked me to find out he actually can act. Great film.

I have a friend who is crazy for Batman. I messaged him today telling him and I thought it was funny.
    Me: Did you hear Robert Patterson is the new Batman?
    Friend: Like the twilight fella?
    Me: Yeah
    Friend: He'll be better than Ben Affleck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

He doesn’t have a chin. Batman is all chin. He will have to bulk up his chin.

Chin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great choice! And at least it wasn’t Hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Gabriel Macht should be Batman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

well im always willing to let someone have a chance but im not sure of this at all. i just cant get a picture him in the batsuit looking right

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

People gave out when Keaton was cast...

People gave out when Ledger was cast as The Joker...

People gave out when Affleck was cast...

Pattinson is a decent actor who was in a teen franchise over a decade ago (get over it people!), I thought Armie Hammer was a lock for this, but I think Pattinson will portray younger Bruce Wayne/Batman, which is the angle the movie is going for.

Hopefully the movie won't be another rubbish addition to the DC universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Pattinson has a great jaw. He will look awesome as batman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d go as far as saying Pattinson’s had one of the best careers of any young actor working at the moment - his former co-star Kristen Stewart’s been the same to a large degree, but Pattinson’s record is just fantastic. Even the duds have been interesting choices of collaborators such as Herzog. But the likes of Good Time, High Life, his Cronenberg films, The Lost City of Z have demonstrators he’s a hell of an actor with very good taste indeed. Hope that record continues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Hipster Batman. Eating Avocados,wearing no socks, and driving an electric Batmobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭StudentDad

At this stage I'm totally jaded when it comes to Batman and DC in general. We have a reboot with Christian Bale. Then we have a reboot with Ben Afleck and now we're going to have yet another.

I've never been much of a Marvel fan but to be frank, at least there is continuity there. Yes I have a few issues with Endgame, but at least there seems to be a level of coherence with Marvel's storyline.

The way the Batman franchise seems to be going at the moment is a bit like a car company changing one of it's cars every few years and the models are so unlike each other you'd be hard pressed to see any similarities between the iterations.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Aoife2017 wrote: »
    The Vampire Batman so...
    Sparkly Batman :pac:

As much stick as he rightly deserves for the Twilight movies, I think he'll do alright here.

And yeah, it can't be any worse than Clooneys nipple suit

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

StudentDad wrote: »
    At this stage I'm totally jaded when it comes to Batman and DC in general. We have a reboot with Christian Bale. Then we have a reboot with Ben Afleck and now we're going to have yet another.

I've never been much of a Marvel fan but to be frank, at least there is continuity there. Yes I have a few issues with Endgame, but at least there seems to be a level of coherence with Marvel's storyline.

The way the Batman franchise seems to be going at the moment is a bit like a car company changing one of it's cars every few years and the models are so unlike each other you'd be hard pressed to see any similarities between the iterations.

SD

I don't see the problem, to be honest. the comic book world is full of different takes on the same character, from looks to origins to motivations and personality. I don't see why the Comic Movie world can't also enjoy that same story telling freedom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’d go as far as saying Pattinson’s had one of the best careers of any young actor working at the moment - his former co-star Kristen Stewart’s been the same to a large degree, but Pattinson’s record is just fantastic. Even the duds have been interesting choices of collaborators such as Herzog. But the likes of Good Time, High Life, his Cronenberg films, The Lost City of Z have demonstrators he’s a hell of an actor with very good taste indeed. Hope that record continues here.

I am surprised he signed up to this. He has totally avoided big Hollywood movies since Twilight despite I'm sure getting many offers. But I guess he has to pay the bills too.

• Advertisement

I am surprised he signed up to this. He has totally avoided big Hollywood movies since Twilight despite I'm sure getting many offers. But I guess he has to pay the bills too.

He's either doing it just for the payday (something he'd probably admit!) or maybe he's trying to launch himself back into the spotlight and thinks doing a good job will help his career. Or of course the movie just sounds good to him. Hard to know but we'll probably figure it out based on the job he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can't fault that casting. Pattinson is a great actor and he has a good, solid CV that's just overshadowed in the common mind by TWILIGHT in great, big, sparkly letters.

I don't mind multiple reboots necessarily; I'd rather that then be stuck in one bloated, forced universe. Affleck was a good Batman but very unfortunately for him, the weak films, and universe universe, in which his Batman existed completely eclipsed his solid performance.

Spiderman was another example. Toby Maguire was great at first, but it got stale by SM3. Garfield's Amazing Spiderman was good, but his second outing was dismal and I had zero appetite for a third. They captured the magic of the first Toby Maguire movie with Homecoming, threaded it well through the MCU, and thus far I'm happy enough to see more standalones.

So bring on Bruce Cullen, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Adamocovic wrote: »
    He's either doing it just for the payday (something he'd probably admit!) or maybe he's trying to launch himself back into the spotlight and thinks doing a good job will help his career. Or of course the movie just sounds good to him. Hard to know but we'll probably figure it out based on the job he does.

Id imagine the chance to play Batman is hard to play down , A hell of a lot of people would have grown up loving the character ,

Id imagine the chance to play Batman is hard to play down , A hell of a lot of people would have grown up loving the character ,

True, and if he does a good job he may be able to wash himself of the twilight image and instead be recognised as Batman.

Something that will no doubt tempt him based on his opinions of twilight! :pac:

I don't see the problem, to be honest. the comic book world is full of different takes on the same character, from looks to origins to motivations and personality. I don't see why the Comic Movie world can't also enjoy that same story telling freedom.

Story telling is one thing. Nah, that didn't quite work, into the bin it goes. It gets old :) As I said, I've never been much of a Marvel fan, but at least there has been a certain level of certainty in their work :)

SD

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Christian Bale did indie/highbrow stuff before, during and after Batman. His stock has remained as high as ever.

Now if if Joel Schumacher was directing this...

Though honestly after Nolan's trilogy I can't imagine where the hell are they going with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

StudentDad wrote: »
    Story telling is one thing. Nah, that didn't quite work, into the bin it goes. It gets old :) As I said, I've never been much of a Marvel fan, but at least there has been a certain level of certainty in their work :)

SD

The familiarity of Marvel was exactly why I enjoyed the more chaotic feel of DC. Despite flaws I really enjoyed MOS and BVS because they gave us something different to marvel.

WW (CA), Aquaman (Thor) and Shazam (GOTG) might Aswell be marvel movies because they were made with pretty much the exact same ingredients and tone. It’s a shame because we are now going to end up with Both DC and Marvel releasing the same movies but just different character names. People don’t want different they want the same and that’s what the box office figures have told DC.

The Joker and maybe even this Batman are brave attempts at DC to keep trying to find their own unique movie.

Drumpot wrote: »
    The familiarity of Marvel was exactly why I enjoyed the more chaotic feel of DC. Despite flaws I really enjoyed MOS and BVS because they gave us something different to marvel.

WW (CA), Aquaman (Thor) and Shazam (GOTG) might Aswell be marvel movies because they were made with pretty much the exact same ingredients and tone. It’s a shame because we are now going to end up with Both DC and Marvel releasing the same movies but just different character names. People don’t want different they want the same and that’s what the box office figures have told DC.

The Joker and maybe even this Batman are brave attempts at DC to keep trying to find their own unique movie.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the direction with Bats played by Bale and to an extent with Afleck. It seemed truer to the graphic novels. Alot more grit. I used to wince at some of the versions of Batman on TV. The guy is a billionaire with serious psych issues. Not someone you want to tangle with in a hurry. That's where Marvel makes my teeth itch. The onscreen versions are almost cuddly. It would be great to see a Batman onscreen that didn't have to worry about the pg 13 tag on the film rating.

Fine, they're going to reboot the franchise again. I just hope we get Batman and not sparkly vampire Batman.

SD

Drumpot wrote: »

Already was very excited about Joker, been following it a while just itching to see it. Once I heard Phoenix I was hooked on the idea.

Casting Pattinson has actually made me more excited about this too. The castings and directors in Philips and Reeves have been very interested. Hopefully Batman they try something different, which it looks like they're doing with Joker.

It's good to see them trying rather than staying to the same formula like you say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume Pattinson would have been given some / all of the new script being written by ... *googles* ah, Reeves himself; it's entirely likely the actor liked it enough to dip his toes back into Hollywood blockbuster territory; no harm "doing one for the studio" if the script is right.

Advertisement