Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    I presume Pattinson would have been given some / all of the new script being written by ... *googles* ah, Reeves himself; it's entirely likely the actor liked it enough to dip his toes back into Hollywood blockbuster territory; no harm "doing one for the studio" if the script is right.

Yeah, but he almost certainly signed on for at least 2-3 more, which he probably has no say in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There are multiple petitions to replace Pattinson already. Because, comic book nerds. :o

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/17/the-batman-robert-pattinson-cast-petitions-remove-replace/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, but he almost certainly signed on for at least 2-3 more, which he probably has no say in.

Hmm that's true; though as Affleck has himself (presumably) shown, these kind of contracts can be broken out of. And with DC's constantly shifting strategy (still waiting on that Flash movie!), who knows what kind of contract he signed on for!
    Mr E wrote: »
    There are multiple petitions to replace Pattinson already. Because, comic book nerds. :o

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/17/the-batman-robert-pattinson-cast-petitions-remove-replace/

Now, this is naked, bad-faith clickbait: when you clickthrough, the most any of those petitions have is 150 signatures, the resting floating around the 40 mark. I wouldn't even call it bad journalism, as that insults journalists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just remembered that Pattinson is in Nolan's next "event film" as well. So Batman won't be his first dip back into mainstream fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Fantastic news!
    I was thinking if he bulked up a bit, he'd be a great Batman and if he slimmed down further he'd be a truly terrifying looking Joker.

Good for him, he deserves a biggie to wash away Twilight business :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Good for him, he deserves a biggie to wash away Twilight business :)

Quite frankly, his entire post-Twilight career to date has done far more to ‘wash away’ any lingering doubts about his talent than any superhero movie will do. If anything, this is a move *back* towards more traditional mainstream fare after a half decade spent entirely in independent and art house productions that properly tested his abilities. I could easily point to more traditionally acclaimed and respected actors who’ve taken far fewer risky and challenging roles than Pattinson has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Quite frankly, his entire post-Twilight career to date has done far more to ‘wash away’ any lingering doubts about his talent than any superhero movie will do. If anything, this is a move *back* towards more traditional mainstream fare after a half decade spent entirely in independent and art house productions that properly tested his abilities. I could easily point to more traditionally acclaimed and respected actors who’ve taken far fewer risky and challenging roles than Pattinson has.

To you and me, sure. But for most when they hear the name the first movie they will think of is Twilight, it's unfair but it is what it is. I'd be pleased for him to be Batman when his name appears in the news and not Twilight vampire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Exactly, he'll "wash away" for the those who don't watch independent or art-house movies.

I'm gonna take a horrific judgemental leap and say that many a Twilight watching fan has grown up and probably never got into/seen or heard of his lesser mainstream movies. I assume anyone dragged to those movies in the cinema are probably rolling their eyes at a sparkly vampire Bat lad.

I've seen many "Nooo!" and "Awful casting" and "Dreadful, wtf where they thinking?" comments so far which confused me to no end.

Hopefully him being Bats will be enjoyed by many and have people more aware of his abilities over the last decade basically.

Edit: Feck it, he'll always be Cedric Diggory to me :pac:

In fairness to them it's only 7 years or so since the last Twilight. It took about the same amount of time for many people to start taking Dicaprio seriously after Titanic and he had a far higher profile during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In fairness to them it's only 7 years or so since the last Twilight. It took about the same amount of time for many people to start taking Dicaprio seriously after Titanic and he had a far higher profile during that time.

Yeh, the departed and blood diamond did it for him. He was in Gangs of New York but still had that stench of Jack.... Being mates with Scorcese really helped.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Empire reporting Nicholas Hoult is also in the running to play batman?

I’ll take pattinson thanks. I think he’d be fantastic in the role.
    No disrespect to Hoult but he’s too young or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Drumpot wrote: »
    The familiarity of Marvel was exactly why I enjoyed the more chaotic feel of DC. Despite flaws I really enjoyed MOS and BVS because they gave us something different to marvel.

WW (CA), Aquaman (Thor) and Shazam (GOTG) might Aswell be marvel movies because they were made with pretty much the exact same ingredients and tone. It’s a shame because we are now going to end up with Both DC and Marvel releasing the same movies but just different character names. People don’t want different they want the same and that’s what the box office figures have told DC.

The Joker and maybe even this Batman are brave attempts at DC to keep trying to find their own unique movie.

Agreed on everything. No matter how frustrating the DCEU could be the potential was still massive. Aquaman was an utter submission to fan demand for the MCU formula and that was that for me. I walked out after an hour and didn't bother with Shazam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

found test footage of Pattinson

bckxVt0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I not sure it's too bad that people haven't seen much Pattinson since Twilight.

If he's put the work in like he has for his recent films, then it will probably help this film out.

There'll be the whole 'where did this come from?' effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It's great casting. I'm just surprised he accepted the role tho. Anyone unsure about his ability, check out a film called Good Time. He's brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can't find anything to say the deal with Pattinson is finalised, by the way. Close, but not officially signed up is what I'm seeing. Hope he gets it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

My thoughts as i continue to try and grow my channel would appreciate you check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,800 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Empire reporting Nicholas Hoult is also in the running to play batman?

I’ll take pattinson thanks. I think he’d be fantastic in the role.
    No disrespect to Hoult but he’s too young or something?

Both Pattinson and Hoult seem too young to me but it is a younger Batman I believe Reeves is going for

RPat has proved himself in his roles since Twillight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Both Pattinson and Hoult seem too young to me but it is a younger Batman I believe Reeves is going for

Pattinson is 3 years older than Bale was in Begins. And Hoult is only a year younger.

Also wasn't this script originally written for Affleck? I can't see this being another origin story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Pattinson is 33 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,800 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pattinson is 3 years older than Bale was in Begins. And Hoult is only a year younger.

Also wasn't this script originally written for Affleck? I can't see this being another origin story.

I'm not sure where I read about younger Batman - Bruce :o I thought it was here tbh, was the script changed when or why Affeck left?

I thought both chaps younger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭brevity

There are rumours that the penguin and cat woman will be the villains

https://reddit.app.link/sZQkSv48MW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Wacky rumour out there that Keaton is in this. Training his protege?

God I hope it’s true. He’s the one true batman for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

If true make it Batman Beyond and i am in

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

BrookieD wrote:

I'd buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wow, I still remember going to see that Batman in the cinema. Think it’s the first movie I was so excited to goto as a child. Remember saying to my cousin “please don’t let me fall asleep” (as if I wss gonna fall asleep). Was also worried I wouldnt get into it at the time cause I was only 11! Love that original Batman! Keaton shouldn’t work but he was so good, hope he also goes back to Beetlejuice!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

I remember the outrage when Danial Craig was was as Bond and he has turned out to be very popular and successful in the role. I'll pay no attention to unwarranted internet anger and will reserve judgement until I see the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

the vampire turns into a bat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

BrookieD wrote: »

great cartoon series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I remember the outrage when Danial Craig was was as Bond and he has turned out to be very popular and successful in the role. I'll pay no attention to unwarranted internet anger and will reserve judgement until I see the film.

The internet is full of people who rant and rave about things based on nothing but a gut reaction. That doesn't mean you can't form an opinion, just that you should keep some perspective about the strength of the opinion and the unimportance of the subject.

Advertisement