Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Paul Walter Hauser, the more I see of him the better. He was brilliant in I Tonya and Cobra Kai

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭brevity

Sam Neil would be a good Alfred.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Goodshape wrote: »
    Surely they're going for the ex-James-Bond-type of Alfred then.

Wouldn't be my choice.

They could be going for the Mamma Mia all singing all dawning type Alfred :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Surely they're going for the ex-James-Bond-type of Alfred then.

Wouldn't be my choice.

I get the feeling if Pierce Brosnan is Alfred he will be a younger, more active Alfred than what we have been used to in the films from 1989 to now.

I get the feeling if Pierce Brosnan is Alfred he will be a younger, more active Alfred than what we have been used to in the films from 1989 to now.

Pierce Brosnan is 66!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair to suggest the phrase "age is just a number" has never been truer, when noted pentagenarians Keanu Reeves and Tom Cruise are still making action films. Dunno what shape Brosnans in these days but what little I've seen he seems in good nick.

The clipped, snooty but faithful butler trope is long dead, so I doubt we'll see the old fashioned Alfred Pennyworth anytime soon TBH; Brosnan being a "retired Bond" style Alfred would continue the trend of him more Fixer than Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    noted pentagenarians Keanu Reeves

I thought "ah, no.."

But yeah. 54. Jaysus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought "ah, no.."

But yeah. 54. Jaysus.

Heck, Paul Rudd is now 50. Still waiting for him to age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Pierce Brosnan is 66!

Yip. I was about the say that’s older than when Alan Napier started the tv show. But then there’s that awesome episode where he dresses up as Batman to give Bruce an Alibi. So maybe he will be more active :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Pierce Brosnan is 66!
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Fair to suggest the phrase "age is just a number" has never been truer, when noted pentagenarians Keanu Reeves and Tom Cruise are still making action films. Dunno what shape Brosnans in these days but what little I've seen he seems in good nick.

The clipped, snooty but faithful butler trope is long dead, so I doubt we'll see the old fashioned Alfred Pennyworth anytime soon TBH; Brosnan being a "retired Bond" style Alfred would continue the trend of him more Fixer than Butler.

The latter-day action hero Liam Neeson is 67.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

61571944_3010000612358399_2323306848087376063_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagram.com

Fake, but I could see it working.

Macaulay Culkin as one of the villains? Or will he ever shake being Kevin McCallister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Pierce Brosnan is 66!

I know that but in Alfred terms, this is young. Michael Gough was 73 for example when he first played him and it was inferred he was playing a character at least 10 years older than that. Same with Michael Caine (72 in Batman Begins but portrayed once more as a man at least 10 years older). I feel Brosnan will be depicted as a more active Alfred and of the age Brosnan actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

with the Alfred from Gotham and Pennyworth being more action orientated I can definitely see them going down this route

There was an interesting interview with Pattinson in Variety; he comes across quite enthusiastic about the role, and that he had been chasing it for some time. It also sounds like there's already a batsuit, though these things change so perhaps it was simply a temp. one:

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/robert-pattinson-batman-the-lighthouse-1203319866/
    He’d been chasing Batman for much longer than anyone knew. Pattinson had heard that Reeves was working on a script that reimagines Bruce Wayne in the younger years of his life. “I’d had Batman in my mind for a while,” Pattinson says. “It’s such an absurd thing to say. I sort of had an idea to do it, and I’d been prodding Matt. He didn’t accept any prods. I kept asking to meet him.”

[...]
    After “The Lighthouse” screened to a rapturous standing ovation, Pattinson promptly flew back to L.A. to try on the Batsuit for the final phase of the high-stakes audition. “It’s maybe the craziest thing I’ve ever done in terms of movie stuff,” Pattinson says.
    [...]
    “I put it on. I remember saying to Matt, ‘It does feel quite transformative!’ He was like, ‘I would hope it does! You’re literally in the Batsuit.’” Pattinson describes what the moment was like: “You do feel very powerful immediately. And it’s pretty astonishing, something that is incredibly difficult to get into, so the ritual of getting into it is pretty humiliating. You’ve got five people trying to shove you into something. Once you’ve got it on, it’s like, ‘Yeah, I feel strong, I feel tough, even though I had to have someone squeezing my butt cheeks into the legs.’”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So, he's not going to work out?
    at least affkeck and Bale worked out...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,710 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So how are they going to explain what happened to Affleck's batman

This is a part of the DC universe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Pierce Brosnan rumoured to be Alfred.
    Pierce Brosnan is 66!

Brosnan is currently playing an 80 year old in his TV show "The Son"

Affleck – and Cavill – went too far. Looked unhealthy, like they were about to pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Affleck – and Cavill – went too far. Looked unhealthy, like they were about to pop.

Affleck definitely did anyway. You could see the toll his health had taken in JL whenever the reshoots rated their ugly head.

Cavill doesn't seem to have some of the bad habits Affleck did so to me, he generally looked well and not unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cavill looked very healthy, and just how you'd expect Superman to look, buff as ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Cavill looked very healthy, and just how you'd expect Superman to look, buff as ****.

I hate Buff Superman. How's he keeping that physique? Reeves look for me.

Superman should be the one hero that looks mega buff, he's an almost invincible alien.

I imagine a lot of working out, it's probably a hobby for him, similar to the Rock.
    Plus for the super ripped topless shots, there's probably a bit of dehydration going on to make him pop a bit more, plus a few push ups etc just before the camera rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Reeves trained with David Prowse and put on 20kg to play Superman. He was plenty buff by the standards of the time.

The suns radiation is meant to have the growth effect on him. In one alternate comic where he was kept away from the sun he was skinny and frail.

Well, unhealthy or not – I didn't like the aesthetic.

Superman doesn't need to look buff. He's Superman. He was lifting cars and outrunning trains as a toddler. Actual muscles have nothing to do with it.

Batman is a human and relies on gadgets, tech, stealth, and brain power. Not a lumbering bruiser. The uber-muscle look just reminds me that none of this is real.

Thing is, Zack Synder (and I think Geoff Johns too) are obsessed with the "New God's" trope that often threads through superhero stories, particularly DC given it has actual gods in its universe. Wasn't hard to spot given the number of laboured Christ imagery used in Man of Steel and BvS. Mixed with a little bit of the ubermensch mentality more noticeable in BvS and I think it's no wonder the DCverse has had an exaggerated physicality. Its creators love the notion of heroes as hypermasculine physical specimens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Well, unhealthy or not – I didn't like the aesthetic.

Superman doesn't need to look buff. He's Superman. He was lifting cars and outrunning trains as a toddler. Actual muscles have nothing to do with it.

Batman is a human and relies on gadgets, tech, stealth, and brain power. Not a lumbering bruiser. The uber-muscle look just reminds me that none of this is real.

To be fair, there was a clamour amongst the dedicated fan base to get more comic book faithful renditions of their superheroes once Nolan finished his trilogy and WB were moving forward with their shared universe. That's probably one of the reasons Snyder was put at the helm of it all; if nothing else they thought he'd bring the fans' imaginations to life. Check out some of the renditions of the characters on paper and they're absolutely absurd.

Affleck, Cavill and even Momoa probably felt that pressure and I doubt they actually enjoyed the day to day toil of it (well perhaps the exception is Cavill). Using hindsight I'm sure most of the fans will be happy with a good film and a somewhat faithful adaptation.

To be fair, there was a clamour amongst the dedicated fan base to get more comic book faithful renditions of their superheroes once Nolan finished his trilogy and WB were moving forward with their shared universe. That's probably one of the reasons Snyder was put at the helm of it all; if nothing else they thought he'd bring the fans' imaginations to life. Check out some of the renditions of the characters on paper and they're absolutely absurd.

Affleck, Cavill and even Momoa probably felt that pressure and I doubt they actually enjoyed the day to day toil of it (well perhaps the exception is Cavill). Using hindsight I'm sure most of the fans will be happy with a good film and a somewhat faithful adaptation.
    To be fair, Cavill and Momoa are generally in great shape anyway, so doubt it was as much strain on them as, say, Affleck.

large_thumb.jpg?c=1464109080

Eddie Redmayne interested in playing Riddler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Jeffrey Wright in talks to play Commissioner Gordon. Jonah Hill rumoured for the penguin role

Advertisement