Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 101 - Know your rucks from your mauls!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Whenever i'm watching rugby people always seem to be complaining about the defending team been offside in open play. What situation would cause this to be true?

When a ruck is formed the defensive offside like is set by the hindmost foot of the last defender.

To make it simple, if one defender successfully makes a tackle and one defender joins the ensuing ruck then the rucking player's foot is the offside point. An imaginary line is drawn across the pitch, parallel with the goal lines.

The defending players must stay behind that line until the ball is out.*

When the players encroach over that line before the ball is passed from the ruck they're offside, and thus gaining an unfair advantage by closing down the space early. A lot of teams may push this law and will try to pull a fast one by getting offside when the ref isn't looking!

*Some refs have their own opinion on what ball out means... And they'll usually outline their interpretation prior to kick off. One ref once described to me he wants to see the scrum half lifting their head up out of the ruck to consider it out. By difinition of the law however it's once the ball is lifted off the deck by the scrum half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

.ak wrote: »
    *Some refs have their own opinion on what ball out means... And they'll usually outline their interpretation prior to kick off. One ref once described to me he wants to see the scrum half lifting their head up out of the ruck to consider it out. By difinition of the law however it's once the ball is lifted off the deck by the scrum half.

Another description of the ball out I've heard is when a pigeon flying overhead can sh1t on it. :)

You often see opposition players going for the ball when it is exposed like that without sanction.

The laws don't actually define it.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Akrasia wrote: »
    The ball must be grounded with downward pressure, if it touches anywhere on the line, this counts as a try, if the player has any part of his body in touch, the deadball line, what happens if a ball is held up, the fact that the conversion is taken in line with where the ball was grounded...

Downward pressure is only required when the ball is loose in goal (say after a kick through or a fumble by a defending player). At all other times it just needs to be touched down while held by the player.

You often hear commentators using the phrase completely incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thanks for all the explanations, Video was very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

rrpc wrote: »
    Downward pressure is only required when the ball is loose in goal (say after a kick through or a fumble by a defending player). At all other times it just needs to be touched down while held by the player.

You often hear commentators using the phrase completely incorrectly.
    How would there not be downward pressure in that case? Even sliding over the line with the ball you're exerting a minimum of downforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mhtc

Excellent explanation of the laws around the ruck here...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Been watching rugby on TV for years but there's lots I don't understand about it.
    This sort of thread is great for giving us perpetual novices a better understanding of what's going on.
    Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

How would there not be downward pressure in that case? Even sliding over the line with the ball you're exerting a minimum of downforce.

Downward pressure or downward movement?

Pressure implies resistance. The try scored with ball in hand is only required to touch the line or in goal area. So you can just brush the ball off the grass and score a try.
    There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
    (a)Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

(b)Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

rrpc wrote: »
    (b)Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

Been playing years and didn't realise you could score with your torso. I.e. not your arms.

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    Been playing years and didn't realise you could score with your torso. I.e. not your arms.

Only when it's loose in goal though. But yes. Most guys seem to attempt it with their hands so I suspect you're not the only one. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

How many sub's can you bring on in the RWC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

How many sub's can you bring on in the RWC?

All 8 subs are allowed to be called on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

POC in the bin:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Stheno wrote: »
    POC in the bin:eek:

Wrong thread?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

degsie wrote: »
    Wrong thread?

Yeah lol it was the shock!

Anyways lads I've a question. The OH today absolved himself of his lack of interest last night, and paid enough attention that he had a question I couldn't answer.

He was trying to figure out how conversions get taken.
    So I was able to say that the conversion is taken parallel to where the ball is grounded, but then he wanted to know why conversions for tries that go in between the posts are taken about five metres out, but ones for tries in a corner seem to be taken much further back at the edge of the 22.

Am I right in thinking that it's due to the fact you'd not convert from the corner five metres out?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Yeah lol it was the shock!

Anyways lads I've a question. The OH today absolved himself of his lack of interest last night, and paid enough attention that he had a question I couldn't answer.

So I was able to say that the conversion is taken parallel to where the ball is grounded, but then he wanted to know why conversions for tries that go in between the posts are taken about five metres out, but ones for tries in a corner seem to be taken much further back at the edge of the 22.

Am I right in thinking that it's due to the fact you'd not convert from the corner five metres out?

the further out you are, when your close to the side line, the better your angle

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the further out you are, when your close to the side line, the better your angle

Can the kicker choose how far back they go? I.e. are there any set rules about it? That was the OHs real question

It isn't a stupid question at all.

A conversion holds it roots in the old day of rugby football. Back then the player who carried a ball to behind the goal line was them entitled to have "try" to kick a goal. If you scored your try was "converted" into a score. Where the ball crossed the line dictated where you placed the ball for your kick for goal. As the game evolved, both a try and a kick at goal became ways of scoring. However the conversion remained a score of it's own right, hence the phrase converted try.

On where to a kick can be taken, the ball may be parallel to where it was grounded or out towards the touch lines. It can be taken anywhere in the field of play as well. As a conversion can be charged down players sometimes bring the ball back a few yards to lessen the change of a block down if the mark is close to under the posts. For narrow angles, bringing it back gives a kicker a bit more angle to work with for a kick.

Can the kicker choose how far back they go? I.e. are there any set rules about it? That was the OHs real question

Yeah the kicker chooses how far they can take it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Kicker chooses how far back the kick is taking. For wider kicks they go back further as helps the angle. Has to be in line with where try is scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Not a playing rules question but is there a limit on the amount of non-native players allowed in rugby teams?

The Japanese win was fantastic but one poster earlier raised a fair point about the players qualifying under residency, and it taking away from the experience a bit.

Not a playing rules question but is there a limit on the amount of non-native players allowed in rugby teams?

The Japanese win was fantastic but one poster earlier raised a fair point about the players qualifying under residency, and it taking away from the experience a bit.

Have they any more than France?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

No limit on non-natives as long as they're properly qualified either through ancestry or residency of three years.

I think it's actually surprising how few 'non-natives' the Japanese have in the team given the proximity to NZ and the south sea Islands and the money in the japanese game. Seems like the majority of them are fully japanese, and even some guys like Veitch moved there when he was 15. They don't have many 'project' type players, about the same as we do I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Anyone know if it is obligatory for the hooker to throw in the lineout ball?

Nope. It can be anyone.

At lower levels you might actually notice a non-hooker throwing in.

Sean O'Brien has thrown in for Ireland and Leinster before, however that's been due to injury and/or yellow card situation.

as above nope,
    and another thing... its not obligatory that the scrum half stands in the receiver position (2 meters back) to receive a line out, you often see a forward stand in with the SH withdrawing 10 meters.

This is not really a rules question, but this thread is probably the best thread to ask it in.

The ref cams that the refs wear, do they have some sort of padding so that if the ref were to fall heavily on their fronts, they are protected from a chest injury due to the cam?

This is not really a rules question, but this thread is probably the best thread to ask it in.

The ref cams that the refs wear, do they have some sort of padding so that if the ref were to fall heavily on their fronts, they are protected from a chest injury due to the cam?

The cams are quite small. They are well strapped in and on and unlikely to cause an injury. Were they to pose any risk then Would Rugby wouldn't allow referees to wear them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are the rules on juggling? If someone throws you a pass can you punch it, volleyball style, in the air and run and catch it?

Advertisement