Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• KilOit wrote: »
    I'm on my phone after each exercise to record the weight and reps on a app, probably looks like i'm texting etc, i'd say a lot of the people holding phones are doing something similar

I've often glanced at people's phones and, nope, Facebook.

If you want to log that stuff, move away from the machine. It is just simple politeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you want to log that stuff, move away from the machine. It is just simple politeness.

If he/she is logging between sets, what's the problem, why do they need to move away from the machine? Work in if you need to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

That's not being polite, that's just being stupid. If someone wants to use a machine, rack, area etc. they can ask if they can work in with someone or ask when they're done. Moving away implies that you're done with something; at least it does to most people at my gym including myself, so you're then left to confuse someone as to who, if anyone, is using a rack or area.

The best way to be polite in this context is to be accomodating of other people who want to work in with you or go after you; otherwise, go in your phone as much as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I used to love the old thread, glad to see it's back. :)

I haven't trained in a gym for a while, but I have so many stories and incidents from previous gyms. Some were more funny than annoying but they deserve a mention.

There was a fella in a gym where I used to train who wore skin-tight lycra trousers which left nothing to the imagination. You could literally see the full shape of his genitalia. Then when he used to take a shower after his workout he would leave his underwear on. You couldn't make it up.

Arrogant w@nkers who think they are better than everyone else. Like the young blonde guy who used to train (maybe still does) in University of Limerick gym. His picture was on the wall at one point doing front squats, I recall. I asked him politely could I work in with him at a dip station one time, and he didn't even answer me or nod, just turned away and moved to the side.

Another time in a different gym, I was doing leg extensions and got up to walk around between sets. Some woman came over and started using the machine. Fair enough, even if I was sitting there I'm always happy to leave someone work in. She then proceeds to do a set which lasts literally over 5 minutes, doing well over 100 repetitions with pauses of about 5 seconds in between each rep. After the 1st few minutes I was more surprised than anything else but kept waiting as I thought "she must be nearly finished now". Must have been the longest set ever in that gym.

Fellas carrying around a supply of tools as if they're going camping. There was a fella in a gym where I used to train who would come to train with 1 bottle of water, 2 towels, 2 mobile phones, 1 notebook, 1 pen, 1 weightlifting belt and a pair of gloves. He would scoop up all his stuff and move it from machine to machine every time he changed exercise. Before someone asks was he a drugdealer and he needed 2 phones, he was Polish so I presume 1 was a Polish phone and 1 was Irish.

Deluded fellas. I was chatting to another guy in a gym in Waterford who was in pretty good shape but wasn't exactly going to win Mr. Olympia. He told me that he left his last gym as he couldn't get any peace or training done as strangers were constantly approaching him asking for advice on training and nutrition.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Curling in a squat rack... 'nuf said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've often glanced at people's phones and, nope, Facebook.

can confirm this behaviour to. my phone doesnt even enter the doors of the health club. im uncontactable during workouts, thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If someone done a heavy set and they wanna rest a few mins to recover. That's no problem...
    However if someone is roaming off for a chat and throwing their towel on the bar it is uneccesary and annoying. It's giving no consideration to others at all.
    Can you explain this one for me?
    How come its no problem if a guy needs to take a few minutes to recover between heavy sets (i agree btw). But if he decides to leave the area during that time, or talk to anyone it's suddenly inconsiderate and unnecessary.
    People who spend time on their phone while on a machine, bench, mat, or anywhere else that someone else could use.

Feck off with your Facebook. You can do it elsewhere FFS.
    In a similar fashion, its ok to sit there staring into space. But if you take out a phone then you're are wasting time.

I don't understand your logic at all.
    I have my phone in the gym, I video sets, take notes, and sometime arse about to pass the time between sets. If I didn't have my phone out it's not going to be "your go" any sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

instead of being annoyed with the above just say you are going to do a quick set whilst they rest or "rest". Always works for me

people who pick up dumbells from the rack and immediately do their exercises there and then blocking people from getting other dumbells or using the benches etc

**** off out my way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Brian? wrote: »
    The old one was killed with fire, as it deserved to be. I'm not convinced this one should exist give how the last one went.

I realise it can go down a bad road but for every questionable post, there is definitely a funny story, so I hope it stays.

In that mood, my most recent story is outside the gym but is still a cracker:

Fella comes up to this organised run in central park in Sydney with skin shorts on. No top :eek: Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, he starts doing lunges in front of everyone, the lycra shorts were questionably small too!

It was only about 15C. My new colleague that I didnt know that well remarks "in modern society, how has that lad gotten this far without someone tipping him on the shoulder and asking him what the hell does he think he is doing".

My run was ruined, I was literally laughing like a schoolgirl for the next 30 mins.

instead of being annoyed with the above just say you are going to do a quick set whilst they rest or "rest". Always works for me
    I think some people are more interested in complaining about others than looking for a solution to these "problems".
    Fella comes up to this organised run in central park in Sydney with skin shorts on. No top :eek: Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, he starts doing lunges in front of everyone, the lycra shorts were questionably small too!

It was only about 15C. My new colleague that I didnt know that well remarks "in modern society, how has that lad gotten this far without someone tipping him on the shoulder and asking him what the hell does he think he is doing".
    TBH that's fairly common in sydney - common but by no means normal.
    These people think if it's "acceptable at the beach" then they can carry on like that anywhere. Why should he be penalised for living in the city etc.
    I'm guessing this was centennial park or somewhere similar.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    TBH that's fairly common in sydney - common but by no means normal.
    These people think if it's "acceptable at the beach" then they can carry on like that anywhere. Why should he be penalised for living in the city etc.
    I'm guessing this was centennial park or somewhere similar.

Pain in the Domain, you ever try it, it's intense.

There are 100+ people at it each week. All people wear shorts. I can take the top off thing on a hot day or something, it was raining on tuesday.

But the skin lycra undershorts is what really disturbed everyone, if you have bought into the compression benefits, fair enough, just pop a pair of normal shorts on over them...

Pain in the Domain, you ever try it, it's intense.

There are 100+ people at it each week. All people wear shorts. I can take the top off thing on a hot day or something, it was raining on tuesday.
    Sounds interesting, might give it a go sometime.
    But the skin lycra undershorts is what really disturbed everyone, if you have bought into the compression benefits, fair enough, just pop a pair of normal shorts on over them...

Ah ok, I get what you mean. I don't think of it as any different to lycra gear in other sports (cycling/swimming/triathlon/weightlifting). But only if it fits, there was a wrestler who regular came to my gym, wearing an ill-fitting singlet. I don't know if it was too small or just cheap material, but you could make out the outline of his flute clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Hogging the shower by putting a towel over the door while you go and get undressed, could be 2/3 people waiting for a shower.

Nah. Just nah. That towel would be handed back to the chopper who did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

F*ckers on their Facebook/phone and chatting whilst doing nothing at a machine.

F*ckers on their Facebook/phone and chatting whilst doing nothing at a machine.

I know it's been said before but I think it needs reminding: if you want to use a piece of equipment and someone's on their phone or chatting while in between sets, then just ask them if you can use it.

Seems a bit more pro-active than doing nothing and then bitching about it on boards later on imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Seems a bit more pro-active than doing nothing and then bitching about it on boards later on imo.

It's an annoyance not anything more. Seems to me you're the one bitching here btw.

Anyway life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

people who slam their feet on treadmills...not sure if they’re trying to show off that they're running or they simply don't know how to run

people who don't bring towels, water bottles and never wear shorts, only pants. Is it a sign of weakness to be seen in possession of these things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think I've said it before, but people dropping weights on the ground as hard as they can. Granted if you're halfway through a squat being spotted and hit failure and allow it to hit mats or something but....

...."Hear that 14kg dumbbell hit the ground after my bicep curl?, I just lifted that"

Nobody gives a ****, it was probably to heavy for you in the first place. Now stack it back where it belongs rather than leaving a sea of weights in the middle of the ground. You have stupid hair too.

Also people foam rolling in the weights area, is this a new phenomenon all of a sudden?, it has really picked up in the last three months or so where I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

People on their phones between sets?

What's the problem with that? I have 60-90 seconds between sets. Why not dick about picking the next song or chat to somebody.

I can't pump out 100 reps in a row and then leave the machine free

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The vast majority of posts in this thread read like weird people being annoyed by things normal people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

people who happen to be in the gym when you arrive

WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Joyce Happy Adhesive

keane2097 wrote: »
    The vast majority of posts in this thread read like weird people being annoyed by things normal people do.

And the rest are people humble bragging that they are zen master unaffected by the actions of others, and impossible to irritate as they are so focused on their own training....:pac:

And the rest are people humble bragging that they are zen master unaffected by the actions of others, and impossible to irritate as they are so focused on their own training....:pac:

Not bragging or trying to be 'that guy' but I really couldn't give a toss about other people's habits in the gym unless they involve curling in the squat rack, curling on the bench, curling on the deadlift platform, curling with my favourite bar or just curling.

It's also nice when people don't act like an arsehole and respect others who just happen to be there, trying to make their own gains.

Not bragging or trying to be 'that guy' but I really couldn't give a toss about other people's habits in the gym unless they involve curling in the squat rack, curling on the bench, curling on the deadlift platform, curling with my favourite bar or just curling.

It's also nice when people don't act like an arsehole and respect others who just happen to be there, trying to make their own gains.

:eek:What about the guns though, Brah??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Curls get girls

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Curls get girls

Curls in the rack get you a kick in the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

I used to go to the Ben Dunne at Jervis and its on the second and third floor of the building. There was always one guy in particular who used to drop barbells onto the floor, and the noise was so loud that it would scare the absolute sh*te out of me. i think it was whatever way the floor was more than anything, but unluckily we always seemed to be there at the same time so I'd be a nervous wreck by the time I left every evening!

Why people hating on curls? How are people meant to know I'm into fitness unless I have decent biceps?

The only alternative is to incessantly post up my workouts, my meals and and half-face, isometric downward tilt selfies with captoins talking about my 'journey' and other kuntish ****e on instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

discus wrote: »
    Why people hating on curls? How are people meant to know I'm into fitness unless I have decent biceps?

The only alternative is to incessantly post up my workouts, my meals and and half-face, isometric downward tilt selfies with captoins talking about my 'journey' and other kuntish ****e on instagram

Or you could just be strong.

• Advertisement

Too much hard work. 5km fun runs ftw

Advertisement