Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I can see where people are coming from on the phone thing, but I play werewolf over in forum games, it's highly addictive and perfect for rests between sets I can usually get up to speed on the game thread by reading in rest periods and plotting during my workout! it's when my brain is most switched on!! So in weeks where there's a game on i'm one of those phone people and I'm not sorry at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I log my workout on my phone so I'm always on it between sets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

bluewolf wrote: »
    I log my workout on my phone so I'm always on it between sets

It's grand people on phones between sets.

But my gripe is people going over to a machine and hogging it, fiddling on their phones before they've even done any sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

It's grand people on phones between sets.

But my gripe is people going over to a machine and hogging it, fiddling on their phones before they've even done any sets.

If someone on this thread does it, you're not allowed to be annoyed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Ask to work in. If they're resting a few minutes they shud have no problem

"Working in" on the bench isn't really a runner I think. It's messy putting on and off plates and maybe even raising/lowering the bar depending on your preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Working-in is only a reasonable request if you're using the same or very similar weight. Having to rerack between each swap over? No thanks. Even with the cables it's a bit of a pain having to re-set the selector each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Zillah wrote: »
    Working-in is only a reasonable request if you're using the same or very similar weight. Having to rerack between each swap over? No thanks. Even with the cables it's a bit of a pain having to re-set the selector each time.

I dunno I think this is nonsense. I've gladly worked in on the bench with plenty of lads before and with one person re-racking each side it only takes a few seconds no matter what weight it is. Then depending who it is you either rest or do your set. It's faster than if you were doing sets by yourself where you were increasing in weight each set.

Certainly better than standing around like a spare tit waiting for a bench/rack to be free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Not at all..it takes seconds to reset pins and only a minute to load or unload a bar..it's also a good way to motivate and be motivated..working in on bench means you always have a spotter.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Not at all..it takes seconds to reset pins and only a minute to load or unload a bar..it's also a good way to motivate and be motivated..working in on bench means you always have a spotter.

But I don't want a spotter; in fact, I want as little interaction with other people at the gym as possible.

But I don't want a spotter; in fact, I want as little interaction with other people at the gym as possible.

Tell me..do you wear a hat at all?

• Advertisement

I usually wear a Phantom of the Opera mask so people respect my personal boundaries.

I usually wear a Phantom of the Opera mask so people respect my personal boundaries.

426144.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

yea i was the same , - soooooo glad i left the commercial gym scene :rolleyes:

share the bench you clem, your not that strong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Think of it as a superset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This, except replace "in the gym" with "in any situation".

Glad i hav'nt left the commercial gym scene..always happy to let somebody work in with me...good manners cost nothing in the commercial gym world.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've become a Conor McGregor fan! The Carlisle was practically empty this morning. All the tap out shirts were absent. All equipment was being replaced when used. No gaggles of young fellas hogging stuff!

So, in short, a complete absence of annoying gym behaviour. Any chance all these events can be scheduled for the wee small hours, GMT?

endacl wrote:
    I've become a Conor McGregor fan! The Carlisle was practically empty this morning. All the tap out shirts were absent. All equipment was being replaced when used. No gaggles of young fellas hogging stuff!

endacl wrote:
    So, in short, a complete absence of annoying gym behaviour. Any chance all these events can be scheduled for the wee small hours, GMT?

Lol I noticed that too, I walked in at 10 and thought...wow there's only women here, weird, then I realised!

That's how I feel whenever there is a big game on at the weekend. One of the ball kicking games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

New to the gym, But is it Ok for people to use two machines at the same time? I see some times guys putting towels down on a bench and then going of and using something else. Can I remove the towel and use the bench or is that a no no. In a very busy gym in the evenings when I use it and that annoys me.

• Advertisement

ittakestwo wrote: »
    New to the gym, But is it Ok for people to use two machines at the same time? I see some times guys putting towels down on a bench and then going of and using something else. Can I remove the towel and use the bench or is that a no no. In a very busy gym in the evenings when I use it and that annoys me.

It is and it isn't, you can just work in if you need to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ask whoever it is can you work in. Just removing it and doing your sets would just annoy the sh!t out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's bad form to take up two machines. But equally so to just move somebodies stuff.

I was at the gym on Saturday (so busy enough) and seen this woman. Finish up on a cable machine and head over to a bench, so jump on the cable machine. After a few minutes I noticed the woman going over to a different cable machine thatcwas set up differently. Then came back to my machine and stood there with a big scowl on her. I was on my third set so she was gone a while. No idea if she was expecting the machine to be untouchable or annoyed at unscheduled rest. Lunatic either way.

I'm back to Flyefit from next week... dreading being able to post in this thread again...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Which one are you joining Sean? I'll be joining one next week aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'm back to Flyefit from next week... dreading being able to post in this thread again...

No to go off topic, but I thought you had switched to a small group place? Was it just the cost/convenience that is making you switch (only asking as am toying with trying a small group place myself!)

Wood wrote: »
    Which one are you joining Sean? I'll be joining one next week aswell.

Flyefit Macken St. I've trained there before, it's grand (and I'll be training in the am, hopefully), it can just be a bit bleh... where you joining?
    No to go off topic, but I thought you had switched to a small group place? Was it just the cost/convenience that is making you switch (only asking as am toying with trying a small group place myself!)

Neither! My job is transferring me to town so staying on in my current gym is just not viable. It's a pain in the hole though; I was paying for small group training but I was essentially getting personal training. It'll be hard to go back from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I let people work in but here is why I don't like it/ or reasons why I'm a curmudgeon-

1. I injured my wrist not too long ago, it has healed but racking and unracking weights that are heavier than I would like to lift is not good for it and cause it to twinge and is something I want to avoid.
    2. I mostly go late to the gym so if someone works in it extends time to my workout and stops me getting out of the gym on time and has a knock on effect to the rest of my evening or cuts short my work out, my gym currently closes at 21.30.
    3. I don't like people sitting staring at me while I work out, casual glances fine but someone sitting there eye balling me not fine.
    4. Someone asking to share the platform means I can't take a step back from the rack and am squashed up against it.
    5. I can't be arsed, queue like everybody else.
    6. I'm a misanthrope.

Very bad behaviour. Just throwing their stuff off is still a no-no, though, but I'd ask/tell them I am going work in, and if they've a problem they can get in the sea to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Ugh Im heading back to the gym in the next week or two and dreading it.
    RIP Flyefit Coolock sniff.....Most easy going gym I was ever at.

Advertisement