Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GreeBo wrote: »
    They are still expending pretty much the same energy as they are still lifting their body weight by the same amount.
    Except they aren't lifting their whole body weight.
    Any pressure you put on the support is weight you aren't lifting.
    Even a few Kgs would have a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anytime I've seen it done, the person is holding the bars from the go. Which indicates it reduces the load as opposed to for balance. I'm not sure people really lose balance when they tire on incline treadmill...they do lose the ability to keep up the pace at the incline.

Just to clarify, in case we're talking about different things, I'm talking about people setting the incline high and then hanging on to the rails.

They'd usually be better off doing a lower incline and not hanging on than using the incline that means they're hanging on from the start.

It'd the equivalent of doing half squats and thinking you're doing full squats. Not sure why it would be annoying to anyone else though

I dont think its equivalent to half squats at all to be fair.
    Half squat means half the range of motion, so force is 9.8m/s/s times the weight being lifted (body weight included)
    Energy required is force times the distance, so half squat = half distance = half the energy required.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Except they aren't lifting their whole body weight.
    Any pressure you put on the support is weight you aren't lifting.
    Even a few Kgs would have a big impact.

How much weight can you take on your arms considering the position of these bars?
    So taking an average weight of 75KG I'd argue that a) 5kg isn't significant and b) that the 5KG doesnt just disappear, the person is lifting that weight off the machine so expending the same energy just now using arms/back instead of legs, buts its still a very small amount of weight.

Your argument would make sense if they were resting the weight on the machine, i.e. the machine was doing the work, but how much weight can you rest on the machine? I'd argue its even less than 5KG.

Now holding onto anything for stability will disengage your core, but thats not really what we are talking about here I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I dont think its equivalent to half squats at all to be fair.
    Half squat means half the range of motion, so force is 9.8m/s/s times the weight being lifted (body weight included)
    Energy required is force times the distance, so half squat = half distance = half the energy required.

I didn't mention energy expenditure. Energy expenditure isn't a measure of a full squat. The principle is the same: you're not doing what you think you are.

As an aside, saying a half squat burns half the energy of a full squat is assuming the resistance profile of a squat is the same through the full range of motion. It isn't.

This is an example of what I'm talking about:

1429045145965-300x300.jpeg

Holding onto the bar on an incline as above is taking out the incline. Be as well off walking naturally on the flat...less likely to injure yourself as well

I didn't mention energy expenditure. Energy expenditure isn't a measure of a full squat. The principle is the same: you're not doing what you think you are.

As an aside, saying a half squat burns half the energy of a full squat is assuming the resistance profile of a squat is the same through the full range of motion. It isn't.

This is an example of what I'm talking about:

1429045145965-300x300.jpeg

Holding onto the bar on an incline as above is taking out the incline. Be as well off walking naturally on the flat...less likely to injure yourself as well

The energy required to squat the first 5 inches is the same as the last 5 inches, you may think its harder due to flexibility and ability to engage specific muscles in specific positions, but the universe doesn't care.

Its still easier to walk on the flat than it is to walk on an incline holding the bars, at a bare minimum you are working your upper body to hold you in position and fighting gravity.

As for why people find other people doing it annoying....I have no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

usually we would say this deserves its own thread, but it really doesn't

• Advertisement

How much weight can you take on your arms considering the position of these bars?
    So taking an average weight of 75KG I'd argue that a) 5kg isn't significant and b) that the 5KG doesnt just disappear, the person is lifting that weight off the machine so expending the same energy just now using arms/back instead of legs, buts its still a very small amount of weight.
    Energy used when running is roughly mass x distance. So even 5kg would be significant. And thats noticable if you do it,its physically easier.
    Your argument would make sense if they were resting the weight on the machine, i.e. the machine was doing the work, but how much weight can you rest on the machine? I'd argue its even less than 5KG.
    Stand on a scale and place you hands on the counter, you don't need to press hard to knock off 5-10kg.

That's basically how weight distribution works in grappling. Any contact with the mat removes pressure from your opponent.

Energy used when running is roughly mass x distance. So even 5kg would be significant. And thats noticable if you do it,its physically easier.

Stand on a scale and place you hands on the counter, you don't need to press hard to knock off 5-10kg.

That's basically how weight distribution works in grappling. Any contact with the mat removes pressure from your opponent.

Rather than keep the thread off topic I'm going to stop after this point/post.

The 5KG doesnt vanish, if the person is supporting the 5KG with their arms rather than 100% with their legs, they are still supporting that 5KG so your running with 5KG less weight analogy doesnt work in this instance.

You need to press with 5KG of force to lower your "weight" by 5KG on a scales, thats how it works according to Newton's third law. So your legs are supporting 5KG less but your arms are now supporting 5KG more, its a zero sum game.

The energy required to squat the first 5 inches is the same as the last 5 inches, you may think its harder due to flexibility and ability to engage specific muscles in specific positions, but the universe doesn't care.
    Hmm, That's incorrect. The universe cares about force, not mass.

Overhead press 40kg. It's relatively easy.
    Now try hold it at arms length. Not so easy.
    Same weight, different forces. Same applies to squats.
    The 5KG doesnt vanish, if the person is supporting the 5KG with their arms rather than 100% with their legs, they are still supporting that 5KG so your running with 5KG less weight analogy doesnt work in this instance.

You need to press with 5KG of force to lower your "weight" by 5KG on a scales, thats how it works according to Newton's third law. So your legs are supporting 5KG less but your arms are now supporting 5KG more, its a zero sum game.
    It's a treadmill. You burn energy by moving mass with your legs.
    Your arms are static. If they support your weight, they do the same work whether it's going 5km/h or 15km/h.
    If what you say was true you could put all your weight on your hands are crank it up to 30km/h.

But I agree, we're way off topic now.
    Nobody annoyed me in gym today. Anybody see any hats?

Newton's second law says that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force. Your assertion earlier was that because acceleration due to gravity is a constant and the barbell weight is constant, that the force is constant is wrong because you haven't allowed for any other forces that come into play or any acceleration outside of gravitational acceleration.

The force isn't constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah lads come on will ye?

Can we have less of the physics lessons?

• Advertisement

Ah lads come on will ye?

Can we have less of the physics lessons?

Yes, can we get back to the abomination that is people wearing hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Yes, can we get back to the abomination that is people wearing hats.

what about people wearing headphones OVER hats!! how can they hear the music properly?! maybe it doesn't matter if you look super cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Saw a guy on a threadmill yesterday doing an inclined walk while holding the rails. He was wearing mma style under armour , a hat and a pair of oversized headphones. He may or may not have been using multiple lockers in the changing room and the use or otherwise of locks on the aforementioned lockers is unknown.

what about people wearing headphones OVER hats!! how can they hear the music properly?! maybe it doesn't matter if you look super cool!
    maybe there is no music and they're trying to keep the voices out

maybe there is no music and they're trying to keep the voices out

Or keep the voices in...so no one around knows that they're onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Hear, hear!

Worse, I saw a guy wearing a hat over his headphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I bought a lock for the gym as I hadn't been using one since in joined in November - TK Maxx is where it's at folks

I saw a guy wearing a hat over his hat.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I saw a guy wearing a hat over his hat.

giphy.gif

Ah Johnny Two Hats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

I opened 4 lockers this morning before I found one that was empty. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Circuital wrote: »

trick is to go for the ones on the bottom :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Try them the other way around next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I never lock my locker. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I never lock my locker. haha

I don't either as I know I would lose the key on the gym floor. But I leave the strap of my sports bag sticking out a bit from under the locker door so people know it is in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I don't either as I know I would lose the key on the gym floor. But I leave the strap of my sports bag sticking out a bit from under the locker door so people know it is in use.

Combo lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Combo lock?
    I'll say it again - TK Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

This, this is the worst.
    Drives me insane. Makes me want to move stuff to different lockers to mess with people's heads.
    Also, people playing with their phones for ages in the changing rooms? Are you changing, showering, leaving, going? Play with your phone elsewhere, you're in the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

not gym behaviour but I really hate those hip thrust benches, with that raised platform at the front if your thighs are in anyway big dragging the bar up to your hips is like the most excruciating quad rolling ever!! someone tell me this is a common thing and I'm not just using it wrong!

• Advertisement

not gym behaviour but I really hate those hip thrust benches, with that raised platform at the front if your thighs are in anyway big dragging the bar up to your hips is like the most excruciating quad rolling ever!! someone tell me this is a common thing and I'm not just using it wrong!

These ones?
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS0nFP5pRrmclB4KtTBtHoXLg9QPpvlfAqgPPriVIOjF6fK-7ui

Advertisement