Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wossit orla baht?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Wossit orla baht?

It was about a man who had MND who chose how he'd die. Assisted suicide.

Very moving and the family were incredibly brave allowing the journey they were all on to be documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Anyone watch 'Simon's choice' on BBC2 tonight?

Great programme, goddamn heartbreaking though.

I saw bits of it, flicking through. Didn't hang around due to content. :-o

Anyone know the name of the series that was a kind of reboot of underbelly and if it was any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Anyone know the name of the series that was a kind of reboot of underbelly and if it was any good?

I haven't seen it but I presume you mean Fat Tony & Co.

• Advertisement

Yup, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Started Äkta människor last night - it's the Swedish (and original) version of Channel 4's Humans. Just watched the first episode, but it seems very good...

Mr E wrote: »
    Started Äkta människor last night - it's the Swedish (and original) version of Channel 4's Humans. Just watched the first episode, but it seems very good...

Yeah, well worth a look. I've never seen Humans so don't know how it compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just for the craic I tweeted LeVar Burton with a pitch for a TV Show... I put very little thought in to it as I only had 140 characters to play with, but he said he liked it, so happy days...

https://twitter.com/CianTaaffe/status/696502535759249408

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/696503748714057733

Anyway, for sh**s and giggles, if you could pitch a TV Show idea, what would it be and more importantly, what's it gonna be called... The catchier the better...

Ha, I like it.

Hows about 'Life Swap' or "Not That One" where people with the same name swap places for a month

Pilot Episode - Joan Collins, star of Dynasty and several other glamorous shows, spends a month in Dublin South Central trying to get Medical Cards for constituents and campaigning against Water Charges.

Meanwhile, her namesake (the TD) jets of to Hollywood to do whatever the other Joan Collins does these days. With hilarious consequences..

I saw this question pop up on my Facebook feed, and thought it was an appropriate one for here...
    You've been kidnapped. You can call on the characters from one TV show to make a rescue attempt. Which show do you pick?

Go. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

It would have to be Hawaii 5-0 just so I could be rescued by Alex O'Loughlin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I saw this question pop up on my Facebook feed, and thought it was an appropriate one for here...

Supernatural, I mean who wouldn't want some classic one liners from Dean while Sam made sure I was safe and sound. Although a wildcard would be from Chuck.

*daydreams about Yvonne Strahovski'* :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

24. Chloe on comms/sat support, Jack kicking in doors and getting people to talk. :pac:

Supernatural, I mean who wouldn't want some classic one liners from Dean while Sam made sure I was safe and sound. Although a wildcard would be from Chuck.

*daydreams about Yvonne Strahovski'* :)

Could be the Yvonne Strahovski from Dexter too though, be careful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Could be the Yvonne Strahovski from Dexter too though, be careful. :)

I'd be willing to take the chance I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

I'd probably go for the 24 team too.

The only problem though is that Jack is really the only one guaranteed to be still alive at the end of the day.

The A-Team, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Raymond Reddington & co from The Blacklist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Kirk, Spock, Bones and a redshirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hey guys - I don't think this is worthy of a thread but I'm looking for recommendations of detective shows like The Bridge or The Killing.

Ones that open really well in the first episode especially.

• Advertisement

True Detective (Season 1 only!)
    Luther
    The Missing
    Happy Valley
    Line of Duty
    Life on Mars

True Detective (Season 1 only!)
    Luther
    The Missing
    Happy Valley
    Line of Duty
    Life on Mars

Thanks dude. I've seen some of those already but my brain blanked.

Trying to research great openings of detective shows so keep 'em coming if anyone can think of more!

Couple more detective shows that I rate, that have good opening episodes though maybe not the same kind of set up as the Bridge/Forbrydelsen.

River.
    Top of the Lake.
    Wallander (though they are self contained stories, so probably don't fit what you're after).
    Hinterland is good too, Welsh TV at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leverage :p

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Hey guys - I don't think this is worthy of a thread but I'm looking for recommendations of detective shows like The Bridge or The Killing.

Ones that open really well in the first episode especially.

Some suggestions, mightn't be what you're looking for

Whitechapel
    Arne Dahl
    Endeavour

Epitafios
    Ørnen
    Hammarin

Bit old and not the easiest to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Thanks dude. I've seen some of those already but my brain blanked.

Trying to research great openings of detective shows so keep 'em coming if anyone can think of more!
    I've got the ITV Sherlock Holmes box set with Jeremy Brett if you want a lend, though they are probably all on Netflix. IMO the greatest Holmes ever

I've got the ITV Sherlock Holmes box set with Jeremy Brett if you want a lend, though they are probably all on Netflix. IMO the greatest Holmes ever

They're on ITV 3 or 4 most days too. He was a fantastic Holmes.

I'm good but thank you.

Some great suggestions guys, thanks very much. It's all a great help seeing how series introduce their characters etc in the first ten minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Is it me or are there few shows really worth watching this year?

I seem to have F all to watch with the exception of Better Call Saul, Baskets, 11.22.63

Not really finding Happy Valley as good as last season's either.

Have been bingeing on the Sopranos/Wire/Breaking Bad just to get by (Highly recommend watching the sopranos again if you've not seen it in a while. I had forgotten how good it really was)

Anything else I'm missing out on here?

Advertisement