Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Can't abide that audience interacting bull****. Worst case I ever seen of it was some absolute loudmouth thick watching the Expendables 2 in Cineworld. Never had I witnessed before a bigger pile of ****e that was 2 hours long but this idiot wouldn't shut the **** up with his enthusiastic exclamations of delight.

If it had been my local cinema some shams would have abused him endlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That's a sad sad picture Venom.

All i think of when i see that picture is https://i.redd.it/pgzoj932j4e11.jpg

Calhoun wrote: »
    All i think of when i see that picture is https://i.redd.it/pgzoj932j4e11.jpg

My issue is that is it meant to be something to ridicule Larson over? Holland is a trained dancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

My issue is that is it meant to be something to ridicule Larson over? Holland is a trained dancer.

Ah ok I mean he has a nice ass we should all be so lucky.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ah ok I mean he has a nice ass we should all be so lucky.

Yes he does....but as I said, trained dancer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be honest, when I thought how this thread might go around the time of release, the continued subject of Larson's backside was not one of my more immediate guesses :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A 6.5 out of 10 for me. Weak villain and flimsy plot but still solid enough entertainment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seen it today. Total popcorn film. Liked how it tied into the grander Marvel Arc. Felt like a 2 hour prelude to how important Captain Marvel is needed for Endgame.

Can’t wait for Endgame now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

CinemaScore asks People at the Cinema who actually went to see the film:
    Congrats to @captainmarvel on your A #CinemaScore grade! Audiences loved it
    https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/status/1104240936635121666

One of the replies to the tweet, talking about rotten tomatoes:
    https://twitter.com/rdysetpanic/status/1104270150046408705
    Thanks to review bombing, not legitimate reviews. Shown by how Captain Marvel has gotten more user ratings in one day than Infinity War has gotten across it's run

*quotes included for logged out users who can't see tweets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

At christmas i just happened to catch Spiderman into the spiderverse, one lazy afternoon. And my mind was blown. Mostly expecting nothing special it turned out to be, in my opinion, the best superhero movie Id ever seen. Made Infinity war and black panther look very ordinary......so I was hoping Captain marvel would be something decent. And it started well enough but the wheels came off pretty quickly after that. It was dull and uninteresting. I thought aquaman wasnt the best but this made that look like The Godfather. The dialogue was shocking. I found myself laughing at parts im pretty sure i wasnt meant to laugh at. The "funny" moments were telegraphed from a mile away. It was like it was written by some social media influencers who thought theyd have a crack at writing a movie. I like brie larson, she was great in Room but she was miscast here big time. I just didbt buy her as a badass warrior. Shes about as badass as your grandad in bermuda shorts and a baseball cap.......not only one of the worst superhero films Ive seen but one of the worst films Ive seen, period. Awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Watched it last night. Thought it was very good. I don't think some of the reviews are fair to be honest. A solid 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

mr_cochise wrote: »
    On the subject of clapping, I went to see it in the Odeon in Limerick yesterday evening and most of the audience clapped at the end of the movie. I had my young daughter with me and she exposed to such terrible idiocy!!! :)

That's just cringe. Went to see it in the Omniplex. Thankfully everyone was more civilized.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've avoided all comments and reviews for the last week so I could have a clean look at it and thought it was pretty good. The backstory was more interesting than other MCU films and some of the funny bits hit the mark (Ben Mendelsohn particularly good). There were neat touches like the Stan Lee tributes and a cat called Goose. The end was a bit flat though. Capn Marvel became so powerful that there was very little tension left once she realised her full abilities, just loose ends to tie up. Her character wasn't the most complex either. She was more of a stock hero.

Still, it was decent, and sits firmly in the middle of the MCU films for me (Ragnarok and Infinity War at the top; Spiderverse too if that counts)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Btw, just checking - is Djimon Hounsou's character here the same one he plays in GOTG?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Btw, just checking - is Djimon Hounsou's character here the same one he plays in GOTG?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Watched it tonight, thought it was great. Im Not familiar with origin story so the movie did it pretty well! The de-ageing was very well done! The power scene was badass

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thought it was great. Took a few minutes to get going for me, but once we were on Earth I loved every minute of it. Thought everyone was great, but Ben Mendelsohn in particular gave a standout performance, so glad to see a good few people in here giving him his well deserved praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed it but not my favourite MCU movie and would not rewatch it much few things that bugged me
    what happened to that shield agent with the glasses who whispered too the dead scroll ??
    what army was Carol D actually part of ?? US air corps???. She just flew into space crashed and got superpowers from the original Marvel ??
    How did she actually take the name Captain Marvel ??
    soundtrack was amazing but very disappointing too find out how Fury got one eye. Mid end credit scene really sets up end game but where the hell was CM when the other superheroes were getting there assses kicked by aliens/thanos ???

• Registered Users Posts: 44,883 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoyed it but not my favourite MCU movie and would not rewatch it much few things that bugged me
    what happened to that shield agent with the glasses who whispered too the dead scroll ??
    what army was Carol D actually part of ?? US air corps???. She just flew into space crashed and got superpowers from the original Marvel ??
    soundtrack was amazing but very disappointing too find out how Fury got one eye. Mid end credit scene really sets up end game but where the hell was CM when the other superheroes were getting there assses kicked by aliens/thanos ???
    1. He was a main character for the movie...the agent that leads the attempt to kill them in the NASA facility, and then the unshapeshifted scrull they talk to and work with.
    2. Not sure, seemed to be a private test pilot.
    3. That name isn't used at any point in the movie.
    4. Doing stuff in another galaxy based on the events of the movie. Probably fighting the supreme intelligence. Bigger issue is why is Ronan not dealt with by guardians 1

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Thought it was good. Probably more importantly going forward, I thought the character was very likeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah I enjoyed it although it's certainly not top tier in terms of marvel films it's still a solid entry. Hard to see how danvers ever gets beaten though she seems insanely powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Really loved it. Was a bit nervous but was prepared for the first thirty minutes to be mixed which they were but overall had great fun. Great soundtrack as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Quite enjoyed this movie, not as predictable as other movies in the marvel catalog. Don't really understand all the hate and negative reviews for it, at worst it's a decent popcorn movie. Looking forward to Endgame now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thought it was meh tbh. Not Dark World bad but probably the worst in the MCU in several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mongoose_Bike

IDK but I really enjoyed it. She really into GIRL POWER!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Saw it last night with my daughter, both enjoyed it. Decent twist on the inevitable origin story.

The de-aging special effects were surprisingly good, except Jackson still moves like an older man, it's distracting in places.

Mendehlson very good.

Don't bother staying for the final post-credits scene.
    'Cat' coughs up a 'hairball', that's it!

Pegasus was a joint NASA/USAF operation. She got her powers from the exploding power cell.
    Nobody uses that name in the movie
    Mid end credit scene really sets up end game but where the hell was CM when the other superheroes were getting there assses kicked by aliens/thanos ???
    in another galaxy, helping the Skrull find a new homeworld
    Bigger issue is why is Ronan not dealt with by guardians 1
    In GOTG he's a renegade, the Kree have signed a peace treaty but he's still fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed it a lot. It's nothing special, but it's consistently good throughout and Sam Jackson in particular makes the whole thing very watchable. Larson is great for the most part, but some scenes I thought she could have played it a bit better, let her guard down and show a bit more emotion. Ben Mendelsohn was terrific, really stole the show in every scene. How the film ties in with the other MCU movies was also great to watch.

It's definitely not the worst anyway. I'd even put it above the likes of Doctor Strange and maybe even Black Panther (if not for Killmonger, one of the best MCU villians in years) in terms of recent MCU output. But it's a solid introduction for the character and I look forward to seeing more of her in the role.

Also, in terms of how she runs, I thought it looked off too, but in fairness she was barefoot and people do run differently when barefoot, so I think it's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the USAF sponsorship is a bit weird. Americans lacking self-awareness there, as usual.
    Oh, so you send out technologically advanced kill squads, and when that doesn't work follow-up with carpet-bombing? Sounds familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Liked the skrull.

Thought the film was around Iron 3 level, not as bad a Thor 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Thought it was great really liked brie as captain marvel and the character itself.

made me excited for whats to come in endgame and beyond which is what you want from a 1st film in a franchise

Advertisement