Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Captain Marvel (2019)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, the scenes are brief, but those shots of a de-aged L Jackson & Clark Gregg are just uncanny (though Coulson does look a little weird, probably just used to seeing the middled-aged version)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm on board, had a good laugh that they just used a Blockbuster video to establish this is a 90s movie. Pretty sure that was Ronan from GotG in a shot wasn't it?

Also having her punch an old lady in the face right after the "Discover what makes her a hero" cards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Giggidy....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They used the faux hawk mask :(

All the stuff shown without it I'd hope it'd be skipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Aside from the Blockbuster opening which I loved, the trailer doesn't really indicate the quality of the film. It could be great or rubbish - it is difficult to judge from that trailer.

Either way, I really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll probably go just to see how the end of A:IW ties in with the what we see here and I imagine the last scene or post credit scene will make reference to Fury contacting her and returning to earth or wherever it is shes hiding.

I reckon that they're going to have her ridiculously over powered here and in Avengers 4 but they've gone well down that path already with Black Widow and Captain America before her so I'll be reluctantly giving them a pass on that.

GavRedKing wrote: »

I reckon that they're going to have her ridiculously over powered here and in Avengers 4 but they've gone well down that path already with Black Widow and Captain America before her so I'll be reluctantly giving them a pass on that.

I don't think "overpowered" is the right term, AFAIK she's always been one of the most powerful Marvel heroes. And if 100% of the Avengers couldn't take out Thanos, and now there are only 50% of the Avengers + Captain Marvel, then she's going to have to make up more than 50% of the remainder.

Or maybe we find out she died in the Thanos snap too and this whole exercise was pointless :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Decent trailer, without being anything special. Guess they're keeping their powder dry for now, and not wanting to reveal just how powerful she is. Agreed on above though - the de-ageing effect is uncanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm not really sure on the trailer, I just felt it was quite boring to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

HYPE TRAIN!!!!!!

WOOO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

If one was to compare it to another recent female super hero trailer (you know who) it doesn't invoke a tenth of the excitement but it will probably still blow that movie out of the water cos they just know how to make em good here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm not really sure on the trailer, I just felt it was quite boring to be honest

I think the complete lack of any humour from the title character just comes across as very out of step for a Marvel movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

youngblood wrote: »
    If one was to compare it to another recent female super hero trailer (you know who) it doesn't invoke a tenth of the excitement but it will probably still blow that movie out of the water cos they just know how to make em good here!

Wonder woman? I'd say 50% of the work in that trailer was the music (another 10% perhaps surprise over a DC film looking OK); WW has a pretty punchy, earworm style theme, whereas the MCU films famously downplay the use of iconic musical numbers.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder woman? I'd say 50% of the work in that trailer was the music (another 10% perhaps surprise over a DC film looking OK); WW has a pretty punchy, earworm style theme, whereas the MCU films famously downplay the use of iconic musical numbers.

Apart from the Avengers theme and Wakanda's theme there really isn't much good music in the MCU at all.

But yeah I'm excited for this purely based on the fact it's a new hero, I'm always more interested in that than something like an Iron Man 4, as much as I like the current characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Venom wrote: »
    I think the complete lack of any humour from the title character just comes across as very out of step for a Marvel movie.
    Not in a two minute trailer. Unless they were going all out comedy like GOTG, Antman and Ragnarok, I wouldn't expect to see much humour in the trailer. There wasn't any in the other films first trailers from what I can remember (Cap's films, Iron Man 1, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hype train

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Apart from the Avengers theme and Wakanda's theme there really isn't much good music in the MCU at all.

Don't forget the GotG. Fantastic soundtracks... that also bled into IW a little bit. Thor: Ragnorok also had a fun soundtrack.

As far as theme songs go though, yeah the MCU is largely forgettable. You can recognize as it's on the screen but honestly, I couldn't even hum the Avengers theme right now. Wakanda is about the most memorable theme.

Oh, and on the Captain Marvel trailer. It looks good. Definitely not an "OMG take my money" trailer with a huge action set-piece or quirky humour, but a solid trailer that sets up what the movie is about... which is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I dunno, I got a distinctly Green Lantern feel from it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

she doesn't seem to have a lot of personality in the trailer? I counted 2 facial expressions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I don't think "overpowered" is the right term, AFAIK she's always been one of the most powerful Marvel heroes. And if 100% of the Avengers couldn't take out Thanos, and now there are only 50% of the Avengers + Captain Marvel, then she's going to have to make up more than 50% of the remainder.

The real issue I have is its taken 3 Thor Films, 3 Avenger films, the deaths of Loki, Odin and half of Asgard for Thor to finally realise his power on screen.

Thor was one swing of Stormbreaker away from stopping Thanos so the rest of the Avengers were pretty redundant anyway. :o
    Or maybe we find out she died in the Thanos snap too and this whole exercise was pointless :pac:

:pac:

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    Don't forget the GotG. Fantastic soundtracks... that also bled into IW a little bit. Thor: Ragnorok also had a fun soundtrack.

Yeah they have good soundtracks, it's the MCU's original scores that aren't great.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    The real issue I have is its taken 3 Thor Films, 3 Avenger films, the deaths of Loki, Odin and half of Asgard for Thor to finally realise his power on screen.

Thor was one swing of Stormbreaker away from stopping Thanos so the rest of the Avengers were pretty redundant anyway. :o

Yeah I think that's largely due to the first two Thor movies being really bad and Marvel not knowing what to do with him until Taika came along (I mean he does nothing in AoU and isn't even in Civil War), and idk how to feel about the Stormbreaker thing, like he just spent a whole movie discovering that he doesn't need a weapon to channel his powers only to then need a new weapon to beat Thanos :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sleepy wrote: »
    I dunno, I got a distinctly Green Lantern feel from it...

Glad i'm not the only one. I've no doubt it won't be as bad (cause to be fair, that's probably not possible :pac:), but there was definitely a Green Lantern vibe from the trailer.
    Yeah I think that's largely due to the first two Thor movies being really bad

What? The first Thor movie was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yeah they have good soundtracks, it's the MCU's original scores that aren't great.

Yeah I think that's largely due to the first two Thor movies being really bad and Marvel not knowing what to do with him until Taika came along (I mean he does nothing in AoU and isn't even in Civil War), and idk how to feel about the Stormbreaker thing, like he just spent a whole movie discovering that he doesn't need a weapon to channel his powers only to then need a new weapon to beat Thanos :p

Well just because he can't solo Thanos without it doesn't mean he didn't uncover a new level of strength.

I don't think it really undermines him.

There's a message in a few of the films - Spiderman and Ironman 3 (ignoring the pointless and self-defeating finale) in particular - what are they without the suit?

They're still iron/spiderman.

But, with that said, having the suit helps when it comes to ass kicking.

Thor defeats Hela not with the hammer but by putting his people first and then being willing to sacrifice his home. That's what makes him King of Asgard. Going toe to toe with a god tier being like Thanos with the infinity gauntlet is another matter entirely.

Thanos was beaten twice physically in that film.
    First on Titan until Starlord lost it, allowing him to get the hand back in the glove

Thor had him beaten but just aimed at the wrong target (as Thanos admits)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thor 1 was good. Thor 2 just didn't know what to do with the character so it ended up just ok... bordering on poor.

RE. Stormbreaker and the whole "the hammer wasn't his power" thing, it still all fits. Odin explained in Ragnorok that the hammer merely focused his power but he was still the one with the power. So Stormbreaker is much in the same vein. It focuses or channels HIS power. He's still now post-Ragnorok super powerful but that doesn't mean Stormbreaker can't push his power a little further. That's how I view it any way. Giant Tyrion also said that it could channel the bifrost so it has some power of its own that Thor can use (and did use when he threw it at Thanos).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Stormbreaker also allows Thor to use the bifrost, which is something he can't do on his own.

I'd rather this and a subsequent brilliant film than the other way round. Remember Suicide Squad and that trailer with the Queen track......?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Want to see how the post credit scene ties in to the movie more. At least Nick Fury is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer later. Poster now.

Maybe a bigger powerup shot in the trailer?

467413.jpg
    https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1069395805839155201

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Holy soft filter! If I hadn't already known Brie Larson was in this I'd have never had recognised her from the poster.

Advertisement