Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's a great poster, I'm so excited for this film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, they have over-airbrushed her face a tad; it's a pretty epic, heroic pose going on & I like it, but as usual a Hollywood poster has softened the actor's face into mush!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The trailer.. I .. I've been waiting.. for the trailer .. for so long
    467453.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Honestly... Meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KyCoo

Waiting for that script.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

From the trailer it looked very unexciting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Agree the trailer was pretty tame, but then again, in these days of trailers revealing pretty much every surprise, i'm hopeful they're keeping all the good stuff back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Most astonishing thing is definitely the de-ageing tech used on Jackson; some of it just simply looks like the actor in the mid-90s. As to the trailer itself, it looks pretty OK: the content itself is not particularly exciting but I suspect it's trading on the excitement of MCU fans who know Captain Marvel is the key to Avengers 4 & defeating Thanos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Looks good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I liked the last trailer but this is awfully generic.

I liked the last trailer but this is awfully generic.

I'm hoping it's just that they won't give away what's going to make it different before it premieres.

There are flashes of Ryan Reynolds GL about the origin story and training etc it I squint really hard while watching it. There are parallels anyway. I'm hoping it's AT LEAST an improvement on that POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Not excited about this at all, trailers not doing it for me.

Saying that I will still go to see it, hopefully will be surprised.

Rumour Avengers trailer is coming out very soon too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

That second trailer is very underwhelming, like I presumed the first trailer was deliberately underwhelming but the over all feel of Captain marvel is very disappointing so far and I'm not sure what exactly is not working here but there's definitely something a miss

I wonder if they specifically included
    that bit with the granny on the train after all the backlash about her slapping an OAP
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Loved the Super Sayan bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

ArthurG wrote: »
    I wonder if they specifically included
    that bit with the granny on the train after all the backlash about her slapping an OAP
    lol

You can be sure of it they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I've liked Brie Larsen in everything she's done but I gotta say she just looks like she's phoning it in here. There's none of the personality you normally see from a Marvel film in these trailers. Really hope it's just bad editing and they're saving the good stuff, because it would be a real shame if the first marvel female superhero movie tanked.

Think thats par for the course for '1st' movies. Did personality shine through in trailers for Iron Man 1? For Thor 1?

Best trailer Marvel have done imo is GOTG, admittedly, but un-introduced characters.....think the whole movie is supposed to establish the personality rather than the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I really have to say the trailer was the most disappointing marvel one yet.

Maybe that’s a good thing as it doesn’t reveal much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've liked Brie Larsen in everything she's done but I gotta say she just looks like she's phoning it in here. There's none of the personality you normally see from a Marvel film in these trailers. Really hope it's just bad editing and they're saving the good stuff, because it would be a real shame if the first marvel female superhero movie tanked.

We'll see but I suspect she might be miscast. Larson is great in the right role, but she's had a few films where she was totally wooden. Free Fire and Skull Island for example.

I wish that they made this film a few years ago and cast Olivia Wilde in the titular role.

I'll hold out hope, as I have been hoping for this film for years, but that trailer just did nothing for me.
    I am glad that they gave nothing away but it's still supposed to entice.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I'm thinking the reason that Larson looks like she has no personality is maybe because that's the way her character is supposed to be in the beginning. Her mind has been wiped and she's now some super soldier with no back story. I would imagine as the film goes on and as she finds out more about her past she will get more into it. Having said that the trailer does look a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

not much in trailer, gets us closer though!

Suppose it depends on how they intend playing the character; the arc seems to be playing up the whole amnesiac trope, rediscovering her humanity having been a hitherto emotionless soldier etc., which would make it hard for any actor to project much charisma. Wonder too if for no other reason than their similar names & statuses, if Captain Marvel will takeover from American's role as the straight-laced leader type post Avengers 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

its clever not to reveal all

Someone mentioned SLJs de-ageing above. Having taken another look I’d concur, the quality of those fx are awesome. I think we’ve moved past uncanny valley in terms of depicting real humans.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Someone mentioned SLJs de-ageing above. Having taken another look I’d concur, the quality of those fx are awesome. I think we’ve moved past uncanny valley in terms of depicting real humans.

I remember thinking Michael Douglas in the first Ant man was very good from what I remember and the young RDJ in Civil War too. This looks on a whole other level going by the trailer.

• Advertisement

I think the method is similar to Ant-Man & the Wasp, in that the actor (Michael Douglas, Sam L Jackson) performs on set as normal, albeit with little black reference dots across their facec to help the FX debt. later de-wrinkle.

Looks like it's more airbrushing on steroids, as opposed to something like Rogue One, that attempted to recreate Peter Cushing in CGI (or Tron: Legacy's own attempt at de-ageing Jeff Daniels via a 100% CGI head).

Advertisement