Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I remember the de-aging of Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan being the only thing that got plaudits in X-Men 3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think the method is similar to Ant-Man & the Wasp, in that the actor (Michael Douglas, Sam L Jackson) performs on set as normal, albeit with little black reference dots across their facec to help the FX debt. later de-wrinkle.

Looks like it's more airbrushing on steroids, as opposed to something like Rogue One, that attempted to recreate Peter Cushing in CGI (or Tron: Legacy's own attempt at de-ageing Jeff Daniels via a 100% CGI head).
    Bridges ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

eh... trailer felt a bit too .. soft? .. non-superhero filmy?

and then the money shots came began at the end and I was like... aha, here it comes! but then they somehow took the thunder out of it.

Like there's enough money shots there to do something good with. This trailer just used em kinda crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bree is very very pretty.

I'm going to be honest that's all I took from that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Avengers trailer due tomorrow has been postponed due to the funeral of George W.

• Advertisement

The Avengers trailer due tomorrow has been postponed due to the funeral of George W.

George H

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd like to think that Marvel are so secure in their position now that they don't have to sell the film as much and can hold more back for actually watching it.

Presumably everyone and their dog is still going to go see this unless it has terrible word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

My goldfish is coming too. The three of us are going to make a day of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

1. It's the first MCU film with a female superhero lead
    2. It's the first 'proper' tie-in with Infinity Wars, insofar as it may address the biggest cliffhanger the MCU has yet produced (and became a cultural phenomenon in its own right)
    3. It features the return of fan favourites Nick Fury & Agent Coulson (the character, not the Boards user)

I suspect the trailers could be a static 30 seconds of the title card and it'd still generate the same hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

*trailer reveals loads of key plot points and exciting info*

Fans: "ZOMG why didn't you keep stuff back to surprise us when we go see it everyting is SPOILED!!!!111111"

*trailer is sombre and only teases exciting action and story*

Fans: "ZOMG this is the worst, who is this actress she sucks, movie going to FLOP!!!!!!!1111111"

Sometimes you just can't win lol.

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    *trailer reveals loads of key plot points and exciting info*

Fans: "ZOMG why didn't you keep stuff back to surprise us when we go see it everyting is SPOILED!!!!111111"

*trailer is sombre and only teases exciting action and story*

Fans: "ZOMG this is the worst, who is this actress she sucks, movie going to FLOP!!!!!!!1111111"

Sometimes you just can't win lol.

Trailers are well able to give a taste of the film, without giving things away.
    This was bland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Trailers are well able to give a taste of the film, without giving things away.
    This was bland

I don't disagree with you.... the above was meant as more of a joke tbh. Is there a tag for that? (also a joke to be clear).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

so.... Top Gun in space?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

evil_seed wrote: »
    so.... Top Gun in space?

Unless you’re talking about the super secret Maverick battles Xenu cut, otherwise no. It’s not remotely like Top Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Kree vs Skrulls. The new trailer did not spoil too much and this movie looks interesting.

Will it do better than Wonder Woman at the box office? Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm cautiously looking forward to this.

Something about the trailer felt very much like Thor's first trailer and has a similar tone to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd like to think that Marvel are so secure in their position now that they don't have to sell the film as much and can hold more back for actually watching it.

Presumably everyone and their dog is still going to go see this unless it has terrible word of mouth.

I was only thinking this earlier. Why not forgo trailers at all. Ruin no parts of the films at all and just have posters with the release Date.
    Certainly for stuff like avengers 4. There's maybe merit in trailers for characters on their first film that casuals might not be familiar with like captain marvel or Dr strange

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it wont be a flop but it wont be anywhere as good compared to say Wonder Woman. A relatively unknown character and doesn't look like it will have the humour of other Marvel movies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

its going the right thing, we are all talking and wondering what the big reveal of the movie will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

silverharp wrote: »
    it wont be a flop but it wont be anywhere as good compared to say Wonder Woman. A relatively unknown character and doesn't look like it will have the humour of other Marvel movies.

That wasn't actually particularly good though. It hit par for superhero films unlike the other trash DC have been shoveling out.

If it's competent and can draw a few Brie Larson fans or women in general out, it'll do fine.

• Advertisement

ipodrocker wrote: »
    its going the right thing, we are all talking and wondering what the big reveal of the movie will be!

Not really, it has people thinking in a negative light. Not all publicity is good publicity.
    Good will, going into the theater, can vastly affect the viewing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think this film will do insanely well, its building to Avengers 4 and is going to set up the ending of A:IW.

It will probably do millions of sales from that alone.

Although I do fear however that it could be a middle of the road Marvel movie but because of the character and female lead, its going to be wildly acclaimed across the internet, even though it might just be a decent, unspectacular movie, like Black Panther.

I'll be one of those that will go to it to see how they tie it in with A:IW & A4 but I'm not expecting much from the trailer TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Unless you’re talking about the super secret Maverick battles Xenu cut, otherwise no. It’s not remotely like Top Gun.

WHOOSH!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think this film will do insanely well, its building to Avengers 4 and is going to set up the ending of A:IW.

It will probably do millions of sales from that alone.

Although I do fear however that it could be a middle of the road Marvel movie but because of the character and female lead, its going to be wildly acclaimed across the internet, even though it might just be a decent, unspectacular movie, like Black Panther.

I'll be one of those that will go to it to see how they tie it in with A:IW & A4 but I'm not expecting much from the trailer TBH.

So we only going to see the end credit scene is what you are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So we only going to see the end credit scene is what you are saying.
    The whole film is about introducing a character who is expected to be a major player in Avengers 4, it'll be more than just the credit scene(s) that are relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

I have a crazy theory about the end credits of this movie.
    Much like Iron Man 1's end credits having Nick Fury come out of the shadows, instead it will be Dr. Strange. The one and only possible way that they can stop Thanos in the future is to affect ever previous event in their favor, starting from the 90's. Every action and decision up until Infinity War was influenced by Strange, Fury, and Co. to ensure their victory
    or maybe I might have had too much to drink lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Larson looks a lot more personable and quippy in that trailer; good to know she won't be spending the movie completely within that "woe is me, who am I?!" setting. I already like her patter with Jackson

And speaking of ... once again. Holy god that de-ageing on Jackson. Ditto what they've done to Clark Gregg. It's distracting, only insofar as how bloody good it is (for comparison, Aquaman's own attempt made Temuera Morrison look like a ken doll)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hopefully they didn't just put every moment of her smiling and making jokes into that trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Hopefully they didn't just put every moment of her smiling and making jokes into that trailer.
    Indeed. I've seen that some folk reckon most of what we've seen in the trailers is from early in the film when she's in brainwashed-robotic-kree-supersoldier mode, and that we'll see much more personality when she starts to rediscover her human side.

Hope so, as this the first Captain Marvel trailer to pique my interest in any way. It looks kind of bland so far.

Advertisement