Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement rings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Mine was less than a grand. Off the top of my head I think it was about 875? I didn't even want an engagement ring. I wanted engagement shoes (which I got) but he felt weird about me not having a ring, so we just got a basic token ring that wasn't expensive at all.

A few months later I saw this beautiful ring with a morganite stone, it didn't look like an engagement ring at all. But it was beautiful. I fell in love with it and I was going to buy it for myself. He of course was delighted I found a ring that I really loved, and he bought it for me.

So it's a sort of present, sort of engagement ring.

http://tinypic.com/r/11kbhp1/9

• Registered Users Posts: 45,244 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Whatever you can afford.

8k to one person might be 1k to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I know that all sounds like a conspiracy theory, you bunch of old skeptics, but it's verifiably true.

It sounds like you only just found this out :eek:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

woodchuck wrote: »
    Technically, yes. But if they broke up because he cheated or something, it'd be a bit cheeky for him to ask for it back!!

Apparently it depends on who does the breaking up. If it's the girl, she's supposed to give the ring back. If it's the fella, she keeps it. If it's a mutual parting, they rock-paper-scissors for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BigMawn12

Was supposed to get a rock only for £1k today to take on holiday. It is still in transit so ended up getting a faker with a view to getting real rock and ring sorted when we get home. Got a wee £145 ring as well so she has something to wear in the meantime.

Anyway, starting to wonder if I should just hold off until ring is sorted. Heard the woman and her mate scoff at a proposal without a ring before.

What do yas reckon? The whole diamond thing is the biggest scam in the history of man. They're not even traditional - it has only been around since a successful advertising campaign in the early 1900s by the De Beers.

I'd love to get something much more unique and special tbh. Diamonds aren't even rare but I know I'm the only one that cares about this sort of stuff.

Anyway budget is £1k for the rock and £700 for 18c gold and workmanship. Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

What do gays and lesbians do?

What do gays and lesbians do?
    All the gay guys in my circle of friends are very ring-oriented, but I believe 'ring finger' has a rather different meaning for these chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BigMawn12

Just realised this thread has more than 1 page (using the app) so sorry for repeating things like the big De Beers scam etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

BigMawn12 wrote: »
    Was supposed to get a rock only for £1k today to take on holiday. It is still in transit so ended up getting a faker with a view to getting real rock and ring sorted when we get home. Got a wee £145 ring as well so she has something to wear in the meantime.

Anyway, starting to wonder if I should just hold off until ring is sorted. Heard the woman and her mate scoff at a proposal without a ring before.

What do yas reckon? The whole diamond thing is the biggest scam in the history of man. They're not even traditional - it has only been around since a successful advertising campaign in the early 1900s by the De Beers.

I'd love to get something much more unique and special tbh. Diamonds aren't even rare but I know I'm the only one that cares about this sort of stuff.

Anyway budget is £1k for the rock and £700 for 18c gold and workmanship. Thoughts?

Go for what you can afford. I don't get the idea of getting a stand in ring.if you ask her with a ring, that's her engagement ring. It's the one she'll show everyone when she tells them she got engaged.

Unless she'll show them the ring with a big story about that's all you coukd afford and then 6 months later she's going to go around showing everyone her "real" engagement ring. A nice ring for a 100 is better that a horrible ring worth more imho. It's the meaning and intent behind it that's important.

In Germany it's one ring, worn on the right hand when engaged and switched to the left hand when married.

I've heard of women purchasing thier own engagement rings :D they engagements didn't last long for some reason!

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Proposing with a temporary ring is pretty common nowadays.

Also means she gets to have the fun of picking her own ring.

I wouldn't get a custom one made beforehand unless you are completely certain of what she wants and will like. My missus always said she wanted one type of ring but when it came to actually buying it she opted for the total opposite after trying them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

We didn't get engaged, we went straight to marriage :D So I don't have one. We got nice wedding rings. Mine cost about 4 times what his did, but I wear it all the time and he only wears his occasionally.

awec wrote: »
    Proposing with a temporary ring is pretty common nowadays.

Well if it is, a ring from the pound shop should do as a tempory ring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My missus always said she wanted one type of ring but when it came to actually buying it she opted for the total opposite after trying them on.

Ahhh I didn't realise that's so lovely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem is once you start looking at actually rare gemstones they are expensive.

I don't know what the cost of having a jeweler make a unique piece is, but if you're not using expensive stones it would allow you both to create something that is actually unique and meaningful to you. You're also supporting local arts and crafts, rather than exploiting the people of poorer nations. If you found the right person it could be something you sit down together and design.

It might be something that borderline worthless to anybody else but nobody should be thinking about the resale value going into a marriage.

Also means she gets to have the fun of picking her own ring.
    Sounds disgusting. If she likes picking her own ring, maybe move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

ScumLord wrote: »

It's when they go around looking at other people's rings, deciding which of those they'd like to pick, trying them on for size even, that's when alarm bells really should be sounding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It's actually fairly common nowadays and it makes sense when you think about it. It's something she'll be wearing every day for the rest of her life, so it makes sense that she likes the look and feel of it!

And even if the guy knows the girl very well and picks a ring he thinks she'll like, as another poster mentioned, you can have your heart set on one thing but then realise it doesn't suit your hand at all when trying it on. This is why the cheaper proposal ring followed by picking the actual engagement ring together has become so popular.

Apparently the new thing is for the girl to pick the guy's ring. I don't know how I feel about that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I'd buy a brack...this is how recessions start.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Apparently the new thing is for the girl to pick the guy's ring. I don't know how I feel about that tbh.

Does he get a stand in ring until he decides what one suits his finger too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I was wondering is ops friend on the dole... now that would make this ah gold

Smondie wrote: »
    Does he get a stand in ring until he decides what one suits his finger too?

Would a guy be happy to have his fiancee pick a stand-in's ring? That's even more strange really.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Would a guy be happy to have his fiancee pick a stand-in's ring? That's even more strange really.

Along as he doesn't pick the stand-in's ring over her, I can't see what the problem would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Looking for an engagement ring now and the ones I like seem to be about €2k, I wouldn't be looking to spend much more. The wedding will also be a fairly low key affair!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Are people actually misunderstanding this post? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,753 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mine was less than a grand. Off the top of my head I think it was about 875? I didn't even want an engagement ring. I wanted engagement shoes (which I got) but he felt weird about me not having a ring, so we just got a basic token ring that wasn't expensive at all.

A few months later I saw this beautiful ring with a morganite stone, it didn't look like an engagement ring at all. But it was beautiful. I fell in love with it and I was going to buy it for myself. He of course was delighted I found a ring that I really loved, and he bought it for me.

So it's a sort of present, sort of engagement ring.

http://tinypic.com/r/11kbhp1/9

A basic ring for €875.
    A pair of engagement shoes, hardly from Penney's?
    A second ring.

I think someone is spoilt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

emmetkenny wrote: »
    A basic ring for €875.
    A pair of engagement shoes, hardly from Penney's?
    A second ring.

I think someone is spoilt :D

No the basic ring was really basic. About 150 euro. The second ring I was going to buy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A friend of mine got engaged recently, apparently he spent eight grand on the ring! I didn't ask, he told us in the Whatsapp group. It's his money but personally I think that amount is ridiculous.

How much was spent on yours? They used to flog the whole "three months salary" guff (which was a great campaign) but curious to know what the going rate is now-a-days.

Zilch. I don't have one. It seemed crazy to spend that much on something just for me when we could use that money on something the family would enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

woodchuck wrote: »
    It's actually fairly common nowadays and it makes sense when you think about it.
    I don't want to hear about people picking their rings, I don't care how common it is.

Advertisement