Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Even more adverts you despise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

razorblunt wrote: »
    The EE advert with Kevin Bacon and Will from the Inbetweeners. The character was great in that show but all he's done since is play the same character, beyond annoying now. Even though in this he's not supposed to be Will, I just think that it might actually be him, not even a character.

I've found that they all are playing the same character. James Buckley is starring in a series of adverts for some company, and it's pretty much the same persona. He's been in a few things since Inbetweeners, and he's always the same guy.
    blueser wrote: »
    Not so much "despise", but that new Snickers ad with Elton John. Surely, I'm not the only person who would prefer the Elton music to the hip hop guy? Maybe I'm just getting old.
    :(

That's a weird one too-I mean, every generation loves The Lion King, Circle of Life etc. I'd understand if the rapper was more established or more well known, like it was Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, Kanye, Drake, chance the rapper....
    ...it makes Elton look like the better artist. So...don't eat Snickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That's a weird one too-I mean, every generation loves The Lion King, Circle of Life etc. I'd understand if the rapper was more established or more well known, like it was Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, Kanye, Drake, chance the rapper....
    ...it makes Elton look like the better artist. So...don't eat Snickers?
    Spot on. I haven't got the faintest idea who that rapper guy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

We obviously aren't in the target age group, never thought I'd be too old to eat a Marathon.

I googled him-and found some of his tracks. There's a 60 second version of the advert that covers more, even mentioning him as 'Boogie'. (He's an established rapper, apparently, on Eminem's label). I don't really follow rap, so I wouldn't exaclty know of him. The other's are less known-and I mean really lesser known. I can't find a single rap by Femi Nylander (he's the one who hands Elton the Snickers)...and his videos have about 2000 views. Seems less 'connecting' with people, more 'folks who have pull'.

Interesting article about the making of it.

https://www.checkout.ie/elton-john-leads-latest-snickers-youre-not-youre-hungry-ad/64423

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Never heard of the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think it also plays on Elton John’s persona of being a narcky bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've found that they all are playing the same character. James Buckley is starring in a series of adverts for some company, and it's pretty much the same persona. He's been in a few things since Inbetweeners, and he's always the same guy.

Yeah you're right actually, the other two lads have challenged themselves somewhat.

Those ads for cars with "reversing technology". Is it just me, or does anyone else think that, if you can't safely reverse a car into a parking space, then perhaps driving isn't for you?

Elmo wrote: »
    I think it also plays on Elton John’s persona of being a narcky bastard
    There's nothing wrong with being narcky!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There's nothing wrong with being narcky!

Well **** you too :)

Those itsforwomen.ie insurance ads

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Any radio add that starts with the line "Its nearly 11 o clock time to buy a new kitchen"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Brady Angry Ham. I just hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That Snickers ad is shocking. They're basically saying Eltons music is ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Pussyhands wrote: »

I wouldn't hold a candle up to it :pac:

Some have accused it of racism I wouldn't go that far tho, I mean, Snickers did an advert before where Aretha Franklin morphs into a white dude with a beard, so I think that's jumping to conclusions.

It's meant be 'connecting', and apparently Elton John chose the rappers (Since one is on Eminem's label-I imagine it was meant to be connecting with 'the yoof', but it's left many folks confused as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But Elton "dueted" with Tupac (Ghetto Gospel) so, doesn't that make him "cool"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

If there was only the choice between using a candle and Energia I would choose the candle simply based on those stupid f**king Energia ads with the mice and the clever humans etc!!!

flazio wrote: »

He dueted with Eminem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I didn't get that from it at all. To me it's that the "don't go breaking my heart" is not a fitting song in a "rap battle", esp as its a duet song,

If he was singing saturday nights alright for fighting it would not work nearly as well.
    flazio wrote: »
    Nope, he was never cool, that stupid bandanna thing made him look like a proper tit. ;)

rubadub wrote: »
    I didn't get that from it at all. To me it's that the "don't go breaking my heart" is not a fitting song in a "rap battle", esp as its a duet song,

If he was singing saturday nights alright for fighting it would not work nearly as well.

Nope, he was never cool, that stupid bandanna thing made him look like a proper tit. ;)

Plus Tupac was dead at the time of the duet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

OH that one who goes "I just like coke ?"

That was on every ****ing ad break during the US Open, I wanted to kill him after the first set.

Is that the one with the lad walking down the street? It's for some crappy flavour diet coke.
    I genuinely thought it was so bad there was going to be a twist at the end... But nope that is it.... Painful

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Plus Tupac was dead at the time of the duet.

Allegedly. ;)

Everyone knows Tupac is alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Every time I'm on youtube now I have to suffer that Norwegian Cruise Line ad, yeah I know its only 4 seconds, but EVERY BLOODY TIME!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Allegedly. ;)

Everyone knows Tupac is alive.

Shssshhh....it's a secret. :p

Anyone seen the advert for 'softies' sweets? The bloody advert is on late at night, and it's a freaking abomination.

I see they've dusted off the "Munster beating the All Blacks" Guinness ad yet again. I'm guessing those guys have dined out on that game for the last 40 years.
    #timetomoveon
    "...and every Irishman stood 12 feet tall". Really? EVERY Irishman? Even those that don't give a flying you know what about rugby?

"...and every Irishman stood 12 feet tall". Really? EVERY Irishman? Even those that don't give a flying you know what about rugby?

Yeah, plus I wonder if Leinster, Ulster or Connaught men were as 'overjoyed'...

...they were in their neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

That Irish vodafone broadband ad with Dermot Bannon. "I love this, do you love this?. I love this." He comes across as a simpleton.

sicknotexi wrote: »
    That Irish vodafone broadband ad with Dermot Bannon. "I love this, do you love this?. I love this." He comes across as a simpleton.

I believe that's the joke...

It's not bad, I think.

'Look at that lovely view....'

*Cuts to dig site, rubble, and guy stepping out of, and back into, a port-a-potty.*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I believe that's the joke...

It's not bad, I think.

'Look at that lovely view....'

*Cuts to dig site, rubble, and guy stepping out of, and back into, a port-a-potty.*

Fair enough Dermot.

• Advertisement

sicknotexi wrote: »
    Fair enough Dermot.

I wish I was Dermot, selling his old house for €800 000...

Who wouldn't love that money?

Advertisement