Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Assistant

• 09-11-2016 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anyone here using Home Assistant?

Its very good. Its an open source, python based hub for all of your home automation. It runs on multiple operating systems (I have mine on a Raspberry Pi 3).

At the moment I have enabled:
      Phone presence detection using snmp Phillips Hue Nest Rfxtrx tranceiver and Lightwave RF RF sockets for lamps Owl Energy Monitor Oregon Weather Station PiHole Monitor Plex Samsung TV Cameras

You can use it to script and automate just about anything, check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Yeah i've been using it for several months now. It's quite involved in setting up and configuring compared to the likes of homeseer but if you are tech savvy its grand.
    I have to run separate apps for proper Sonos integration and also Harmony integration (via MQTT) which should really be out of the box at this stage.

The Z-Wave library it uses (openzwwave) can be a bit flaky. I've had issues with powered Z-Wave nodes that I as of yet have not been able to resolve.
    I will be deploying circa 15+ powered Z-wave nodes in the coming months so if I cant iron out the zwave issues i'll have to jump ship to Homeseer which had no issues with my powered nodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yes,

So far integrated:
    Security cams
    Philips Hue
    Temp sensor
    Lux sensor
    Travel times via Google maps API
    Local weather from yr.no
    Presence and location tracking via Owntracks/MQTT

To do:
    Nest protect smoke alarm (got it today)
    More Nest smoke alarms
    More Philips Hue stuff
    Motion sensor
    Door/window/gate sensors
    Door bell
    Smart controls for heating
    Local weather station (Davis Vantage or Netatmo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

Finally got off my ass and have started getting this setup.

Installed on a PI, first one of those I've got my hands on,some piece of kit for what you pay.

Currently picked up:
    weather ty.no,
    Honeywell heating controls - Already gives far more information back than the actual Honeywell Evohome app, eg graph of temperature during the day.
    Plex server-
    Philips Hue - but intend to re-setup using the emulated Hue bridge component so can create custom voice commands via Alexa.

To do;
    Nest protect
    Samsung Smartthings devices -not looking forward to that from having a look at what is involved.
    presence detection
    Hue sensors
    z-wave switches

I want to get all installed before setting up any automation, bit of work to do before getting to that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i have a pi, xiaomi bulb, sensor, switch, gateway.
    is there anything i can do with this HA on pi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

Bit of a proof of concept project for me at the mo, running;

SmartThings starter kit
    Nest thermostat
    Owntracks via cloudmqtt
    Weather via darksky
    Openelec instance
    Etc

Hosted as a docker instance on my unraid server in the attic

Would like to get some automations down, but not had a chance to learn how just yet. The yaml nuances take a bit of getting used to..

• Advertisement

I plugged away on this over the last while.

So far integrated:
    Security cams
    Loads of Philips Hue lights
    Travel times via Google maps API
    Presence and location tracking via Owntracks/MQTT
    3 x Nest Protect alarms
    Monitoring temp and light level in 4 rooms
    Monitoring temp, light level, humidity, CO2 levels and sound levels in one room.
    Outside wind speed and direction as well as temp, pressure, rainfall and humidity via the Netatmo weather station.
    Kodi

I briefly had all the Zwave stuff I have also shipped in via the Smartthings to HA bridge but found it too flaky so dropped it.

To Do:

Synology Nas (although I usually set this to auto off so maybe no point)
    Hive heating

Still undecided to go get a zwave stick for the NUC that HA runs on or just go fully Smartthings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'm considering purchasing a little starter kit of a Raspberry Pi, ZWave stick and PIR (that also has temp and light monitoring).

Nest Protect is on the medium term purchase plan - what sort of data are you getting from the Nest Protect alarms with HASS?

Edit: Also where did you buy your Nest Protect alarms from - they are very saucy on the pocket!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I got my first part of my new upgrade recently, google home while I was in the US. Impressed! Next is hue lights!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I have it set up with a good few sensors (weather, presence on wifi, dublin bus, TV) but don't actually have any automations yet.

One thing I'm struggling with is how the naming of your hue lights is done? I can control them via the UI but I'm not sure how to add them to an automation configuration

I'm considering purchasing a little starter kit of a Raspberry Pi, ZWave stick and PIR (that also has temp and light monitoring).

Nest Protect is on the medium term purchase plan - what sort of data are you getting from the Nest Protect alarms with HASS?

Edit: Also where did you buy your Nest Protect alarms from - they are very saucy on the pocket!!

Thanks!

Not a whole pile. Just that you're not on fire or dying from CO poisoning. But it's all under one roof with the HA install, not split out over half a dozen apps. You can also say shut off certain things or have all your lights come on at a dim red level, or flash your lights etc via any automations you wish set up if the smoke or CO alarms trigger.

tRFcq9ol.png

Smartthings gives you a bit more.

B7OnTCal.png

The Nests are dear, however I had only one smoke alarm in the house and no CO alarms. So I wanted to sort that. If I had dumb ones I probably would have replaced them anyway to be honest. I like gadgets.

I got them from Amazon for £89 each. So they are dear like you say, but that's still cheaper than a funeral or skin grafts. The big thing over a dumb smoke alarm is that you get a push notification as long as you have signal on your phone. So if I get an alert I hop on to my security cams to confirm a fire and call the fire brigade or neighbours and hopefully nip the fire in the bud rather than coming home to a pile of cinders.

Well that's the theory anyways. Nothing to say the fire won't start via wiring and burn out the router/phone cables etc and scupper your connectivity.
    That's an argument for another day though :)

• Advertisement

Roen wrote: »
    Not a whole pile. Just that you're not on fire or dying from CO poisoning. But it's all under one roof with the HA install, not split out over half a dozen apps. You can also say shut off certain things or have all your lights come on at a dim red level, or flash your lights etc via any automations you wish set up if the smoke or CO alarms trigger.

tRFcq9ol.png

How are you pulling in Lux & Temp from the Nest Protect? I only get 4 items, Status, Battery, Smoke & CO2

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well that's the theory anyways. Nothing to say the fire won't start via wiring and burn out the router/phone cables etc and scupper your connectivity.
    That's an argument for another day though :)

Just to point out, if that happens, the Nest alarm will still go off, so anyone in the house can have time to escape. It will still act like a dumb smoke alarm.

Just that you won't get the notification.

Also, don't you get a notification if it becomes unreachable? I do when my Canary IP Camera goes off line, that would make me immediately suspicious that something is wrong and contact my neighbours.

bk wrote: »
    Just to point out, if that happens, the Nest alarm will still go off, so anyone in the house can have time to escape. It will still act like a dumb smoke alarm.

Also, don't you get a notification if it becomes unreachable? I do when my Canary IP Camera goes off line, that would make me immediately suspicious that something is wrong and contact my neighbours.

Ah yes, I had assumed that in my post that I was away. When in the house they'd act as normal fire/CO alarms and alert you that way. I'm not sure if they become unreachable do they alert.

Must yank the router and see later.
    beanian wrote:
    How are you pulling in Lux & Temp from the Nest Protect? I only get 4 items, Status, Battery, Smoke & CO2

Apologies, I am pulling those from the Philips Hue motion sensors. I just have them all lumped in to the one sensor panel per room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

So it's just reporting smoke status and CO status from the Nests?

Also ... fair play for managing to sneakily mention that "I've got a bar in my house" .... any opportunity, eh? ;)

So it's just reporting smoke status and CO status from the Nests?

Yes, they are fairly packed with stuff but don't really expose any of it. Motion sensor, light, speaker, and I reckon a light level sensor as the nightlight thing only comes on below a certain lux.

Also ... fair play for managing to sneakily mention that "I've got a bar in my house" .... any opportunity, eh? ;)

I should have renamed it temporarily to hareem or swimming pool. I wouldn't mind but I very rarely drink, and have only ever had a couple of beers up there :)

Apologies, I am pulling those from the Philips Hue motion sensors. I just have them all lumped in to the one sensor panel per room.
    Ah that makes sense, I thought maybe you came across a way to get at these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Something else to add to my 'Dangers of IOT' thread!!!

Just messing around with this set up on a linux pc, yaml doesn't like any extra spaces etc and takes a while to figure out if, like me, you have no code skills. Just as well I'm a stubborn so and so and doesn't like to be beaten, helps that things are quiet here at work. Have it currently running just to show weather, date, time and linked to google calender before I look to set it up at home.

So having bought the Hive heating, sensor, plug and 2 bulbs, cat 6 cable and tools for additional wiring in the house plus a network switch, I am now looking at another rpi to add to the collection, z-wave adapter and various z-wave switches, sensors etc.

I really should just block this thread!!!

bk wrote: »

OK so yanked the power to upstairs to replace a pattress box that was broken. That takes the router offline. No notifications for anything.
    The smartthings hub did alert when it came back online.
    So the Nest cloud service doesn't notify on loss of connectivity.

Can i ask where you guys got your hue stuff? Did you pay full price for them or get em on offer?

Can i ask where you guys got your hue stuff? Did you pay full price for them or get em on offer?

Wait for Amazon to go on special offer in my case. Use camelcamelcamel.com to set up alerts.

• Advertisement

Wait for Amazon to go on special offer in my case. Use camelcamelcamel.com to set up alerts.

Oh great! Could i ask what bulbs you use? there are so many o.o

Oh great! Could i ask what bulbs you use? there are so many o.o

The majority are the White Ambiance. Then the rest are made up of the Richer Colours and about 7M of lightstrips. It's a bit over whelming alright but the Hue FAQ in this forum is a mine of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emparedados

Does anyone know how to install this on windows 10, I already have Python 3.5 installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

There is a great tutorial on how to install on a windows machine on the home assistant website,
    https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/python/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Is there a good demo video of Home Assistant showing what is needed to have all IoT devices setup etc.?

I have the following in terms of IoT and use different apps for each so would be great to unify them all into 1 app:

- Hue Lightbulbs
    - Xiaomi Lightbulbs
    - Ring Doorbell
    - Hikvision Security Camera's
    - Nest Protect
    - Netatmo Thermometer
    - TP Link Wifi Plug
    - Logitech Harmony Remote and Hub
    - Amazon Echo Dot
    - Withings Scale

Would like to also add the following IoT:
    - Automatic Blinds
    - WiFi light and Plug switches
    - Smart Lock

Got back to doing my setup on this at the weekend.

I now have automations setup so that when I turn on my XBox in the spare room the lights dim. Next up is to do some more around having the hall lights on when I get home from work, and have the utility room light automatically turn off after 5 minutes.

Also disappointed to realise that it doesn't hook up to Google Home anymore. When I was reading about it a few weeks ago, people were saying it would work by emulating a hue bridge, but it looks like in the latest update Google requires you to logon through the hue website so you can no longer use an emulated hue bridge :(
    Hopefully the direct actions api is released fully soon and can be used for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

paulbok wrote: »
    There is a great tutorial on how to install on a windows machine on the home assistant website,
    https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/python/

I found that the command 'hass --open-ui' doesn't work when trying to launch from win 10 although if you follow the link on that page to the youtube page- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27eVvuqwnY then there are different commands which worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

have found the documentation on the website to be pretty poor alright

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What version of HA are people using? I've mine running on my Raspberry Pi, but the out of the box Hasspian isn't exactly out of the box. I've to manually start Hass in the background rather than just resetting the Pi and it loading automatically.

Nice bit of kit otherwise. Documentation can be pretty awful at times, but persistence has shone through.
    Working:
    • My location (and commute times)
    • Hue lights and rooms setup
    • Power switch setup
    • Automatically putting on the hall light after sunset if im home setup (I hope, i'll find out this evening)

Not working:
    • Plex - It didnt pick it up, or at least I dont see it working
    • nmap - Again, i've put the code in the yaml file, but I dont see anything in the UI

• Advertisement

What version of HA are people using? I've mine running on my Raspberry Pi, but the out of the box Hasspian isn't exactly out of the box. I've to manually start Hass in the background rather than just resetting the Pi and it loading automatically.

Nice bit of kit otherwise. Documentation can be pretty awful at times, but persistence has shone through.
    Working:
    • My location (and commute times)
    • Hue lights and rooms setup
    • Power switch setup
    • Automatically putting on the hall light after sunset if im home setup (I hope, i'll find out this evening)

Not working:
    • Plex - It didnt pick it up, or at least I dont see it working
    • nmap - Again, i've put the code in the yaml file, but I dont see anything in the UI

I use the hasbian image and have automatic startup using systemd. However I had to modify the unit file in order to get this to work correctly with the python virtualenv.

I've also found that everytime I do a pip upgrade of homeassistant, I have to check the systemctl status after startup to see what python modules have been updated and manually update them myself in the virtualenv.

Advertisement