Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

• 09-11-2016 4:08am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What is Amazon Alexa?

Amazon Alexa is Amazons Artificial Intelligence that can work across multiple devices (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Fire TV, etc.) and can be used to answer questions asked by voice and control home automation devices by voice.

What is Amazon Echo?

Echo is a Bluetooth speaker that can sit in a room and comes with microphones and Amazons AI Alexa that can be used to answer questions by voice and control music playback and home automation devices by voice.

What is Amazon Echo Dot?

The Echo Dot is the little brother of the full size Amazon Echo. It is a smaller, cheaper device that lacks the full size speaker of the Echo. It includes the same microphones and Alexa AI as the full size speaker. While it also includes a small speaker, the speaker isn't good enough for quality music playback, but ok for answering voice commands and alarms. However the Echo Dot can be connected to better quality speakers (hifi system, AV receiver, bluetooth speakers, etc.) via either a 3.5mm audio out connection or over bluetooth.

Can I buy the Amazon Echo/Dot in Ireland?

No, not directly. However you can buy it from Amazon UK and get it shipped to Ireland by either Parcel Motel, Parcel Wizard or Address Pal shipping services.

How do I set the Echo/Dot up?

You either use the website alexa.amazon.co.uk or you use the Alexa app for iPhone or Android. The easier way is to use the website, but see below for more information of the mobile apps.

Can I use alexa.amazon.co.uk on a mobile browser.

Yes, initially it will tell you to use the app, however you can use your mobile browsers optino to display the desktop version of the website, it will work fine.

Can I get alexa app for iPhone?

The Alexa app isn't available on the Irish Apple App Store, however it is reltivaly easy to temporarily change your app store to the UK App Store and download it from there after which you can change it back to the Irish app store.

Can I get the alexa app for Android?

The Alexa app isn't available in the Irish Google Play Store. However it is possible to install the app by downloading the app to your laptop and sideloading the app to your Android phone. You can do a google search for more details on how to do this.

Will I be able to use my Irish address in the app?

Sort of. Amazon uses the Microsoft Bing Maps for it's addresses. Bing Maps address database for Ireland is very poor. Your address might not work, however you might find that a near by street address will work.

Will commuting times work?

If you manage to set your home and work address (see above answer), then yes you will be able to get commuting times.

However Amazon uses Bing Maps, so commuting times aren't as accurate as Google Maps and also you can't get commuting times by walking/cycling/public transport.

Will I be able to ask for the weather in my location?

Yes, though you will have to specify the location:

"Alexa, what is the weather like in Dublin?"

Note you will have to specify "in Dublin" "in Cork"

Will I be able to play music using Spotify Premium.

Yes, and in general it works well. For instance:

"Alexa, play music on spotify"
    "Alexa, play rock on spotify"

Note the you have to specify "on spotify" each time.

Will Spotify Free work on Echo

No, it requires a premium account.

Can I play music out in multiple rooms if you have multiple Echo/Dots?

No, however you can change the room it is playing in by saying "Alexa, resume Spotify" in the room your are currently in and it will start playing in that room.

Will I be able to play Irish and UK radio stations?

Irish radio stations are extremely buggy and mostly don't work by voice control. It is extremely hard to get it to play the usual Irish radio stations.

UK radio stations work ok, for instance:
    "Alexa, play BBC Radio 1 on tunein"

Notice that you have to specify "on tunein" for each station.

A work around for Irish stations is to select the station by the Alexa app or website and then you can pause it by voice.

If you listen to the same station every day, then you can select the station via the app or website first time and from then on use the follwoing vocie command to play it:

"Alexa, resume tunein".

Does it support other music services?

Yes, it also supports Amazons own music service, however that can require a UK credit card like Revolut to get working in Ireland.

Does it support playing music from a phone via Bluetooth?

Yes, Amazon Echo can work as a basic Bluetooth speaker.

What Home Automation Services does it support?

Many, including but not limited to:

- Philips Hue (smart lights)
    - Belkin Wemo Smart Plugs
    - Netatmo/Hive/Tado/Nest Smart Thermostats
    - Smarthings
    - etc.

Does it work with IFTTT?

IFTTT is currently not working in the UK and Ireland. However it does work on Amazon US Echo's so it will likely come eventually to UK and Ireland.

However an alternative service Yonomi does work with Amazon Echo and works very well.

Does it work with Logitech Harmony Remotes?

Basic support (turn on/off activities only) works in US Echos, but not UK and Ireland yet. However you can get the same level of support for Harmony in UK and Ireland using the excellent Yonomi app.

More to come.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

So IFTTT doesn't work here at all then ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not unless you set yours up as a US Echo. However I assume this will be fixed soon, I can't see why it wouldn't and it most be a top priority for devs.

Yonomi is also worth checking out as an alternative to IFTTT. While Yonomi can't do as much as IFTTT, it seems to work much more reliably for what it does support and it works with the UK Echo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You mean just for the echo right?

Stoner wrote: »
    You mean just for the echo right?

Yep, ordered the echo dot this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

I think it would be a good idea to sticky these in the forum along with the Google home FAQ thread. Would be a good starting point for people new to the forum and can always add more FAQ's as needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Hey guys,

Quick question... anyone know if you can set the Device Location to an address in Ireland? Been trying with no success thus far. Got hooked up to spotify/nest etc. so far and pretty impressed.

Still early days yet though :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kennM wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Quick question... anyone know if you can set the Device Location to an address in Ireland? Been trying with no success thus far. Got hooked up to spotify/nest etc. so far and pretty impressed.

Still early days yet though :)

If your address doesn't work, then try close by street names.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

Bit disappointed to hear it doesn't do so well on TuneIn. I'm looking for a new kitchen/sitting room radio device that has bluetooth and internet radio. I thought maybe this would be a good fit but at the moment I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Unless somebody can tell it works fine with asking to play Nova or TodayFM on TuneIn?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Bit disappointed to hear it doesn't do so well on TuneIn. I'm looking for a new kitchen/sitting room radio device that has bluetooth and internet radio. I thought maybe this would be a good fit but at the moment I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Unless somebody can tell it works fine with asking to play Nova or TodayFM on TuneIn?

Thanks.

You can select any station from the app (or web) and play via echo that way. If you play the same station all the time, then manually select that station and then say "Alexa, play tunein" and it will always select the last played station.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

degsie wrote: »
    You can select any station from the app (or web) and play via echo that way. If you play the same station all the time, then manually select that station and then say "Alexa, play tunein" and it will always select the last played station.

Cool thanks for the info. It's been a while since I used TuneIn. Do you know does it have a preset ability so you could say something like "Alexa play preset 1 on TuneIn"?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the info. It's been a while since I used TuneIn. Do you know does it have a preset ability so you could say something like "Alexa play preset 1 on TuneIn"?

Thanks!

No, there is currently no way to do this.

On the whole, Google Home handles Tunein far better. Though GH is not officially available in Ireland yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

On the Echo for TuneIn you have to name the radio station ??
    I don't listen to many Irish radio stations so do I just have to say Alexis play 'name of station'......better get my naming right

bk wrote: »
    If your address doesn't work, then try close by street names.

Can't seem to add any IE address to the echo app

Any other suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

I couldnt get it sorted.... ended up just adding Belfast address so timezone was right

On the Echo for TuneIn you have to name the radio station ??
    I don't listen to many Irish radio stations so do I just have to say Alexis play 'name of station'......better get my naming right

It's phrased "Alexa, play <name_of_station> on tunein" but as mentioned Irish radio stations are very hit-and-miss.

Any update at all on IFTTT working ?

Any update at all on IFTTT working ?

No, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kurn

It's phrased "Alexa, play <name_of_station> on tunein" but as mentioned Irish radio stations are very hit-and-miss.

I often wondered is that because of the fada on R. I always have trouble with the RTE stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Before spending time in reading and doing my home work on these devices...can anyone confirm if they are constant listening and passing & processing the information to some external / third party cloud provider OR is a local based solution!?

Thanks

Kurn wrote: »
    I often wondered is that because of the fada on R. I always have trouble with the RTE stations

You mean fada on 'e'?

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Before spending time in reading and doing my home work on these devices...can anyone confirm if they are constant listening and passing & processing the information to some external / third party cloud provider OR is a local based solution!?

Google Home and Amazon Echo both locally constantly listen out for their activation words (e.g. "Hey Google", "Alexa"). Once it hears those activations words, they start recording the rest of what you say for a few seconds and that gets uploaded to the cloud to be processed. After those few seconds they stop listening again.

You can tell when they are listening as they light up the top of the device while listening.

You can review and delete the recordings they have made and uploaded to the cloud service with their apps.

They both also have a button to turn on privacy mode, where they completely stop listening.

You mean fada on 'e'?
    obviously

Mine is very close to the TV, and interestingly, I noticed when the Amazon Echo ad comes on the telly, it listens when it hears its name, but then quickly stops when it hears the next line in the ad. I wonder they they program in this to ignore these ads.

Sad that I notice these things :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

On the Spotify thing, I do not have to say "on spotify" with my commands to get it to work. I have it set as my default source and dont have amazons music service.

I just say "play jazz" "play Christine And The Queens" etc and it plays them from Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

Thanks for the FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

The Alexa app isn't available on the Irish Apple App Store, however it is reltivaly easy to temporarily change your app store to the UK App Store and download it from there after which you can change it back to the Irish app store.

Is this possible to do through your iPhone - any links on how to do it anywhere?

Thanks!

JoeCole26 wrote: »

Is this possible to do through your iPhone - any links on how to do it anywhere?

Here:
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/89185/how-can-i-change-the-ios-app-store-country-on-my-iphone-5

Also remember you go just use alexa.amamzon.co.uk in Safari if your change it to desktop mode, much easier option.

So it turns out that I don't have to say "in Dublin" any more when asking for weather!

I can just ask it "What is the weather like?" or "Will I need an umbrella?" and she responds, "In Dublin, Ireland, the weather is ......".

Also Spotify is now working better I can just ask it (no need to say "on spotify" any more):

- Play Rock Music
    - Play Greenday

However "Play Music" still doesn't work, I still have to say "Play Music on Spotify".

Some nice improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

bk wrote: »
    However "Play Music" still doesn't work, I still have to say "Play Music on Spotify".

Some nice improvements.

Have you tried "resume Spotify" shorter...

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    Have you tried "resume Spotify" shorter...

Yup, good point and actually if you only use Spotify (and not tunein as well) you can just go "Alexa, resume".

Advertisement