Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

*Getting jealous of you all getting awesome deals on Hue, when my house is already full and I've nowhere else to put any!! (even my mam's house if full of them).

What about Outdoor Hue.... :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Rew wrote: »
    What about Outdoor Hue.... :D

I already have 5 of the bloody outdoor spots in my garden!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107426040&postcount=1562

I already have 5 of the bloody outdoor spots in my garden!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107426040&postcount=1562

The outdoor lightstrips are super cool though, I have 2 and 6 spots already so you have to keep up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Rew wrote:
    What about Outdoor Hue....

Do outdoor lights work off the mains or battery? We don't have mains at the front of our house and have no plan to due to difficulty of install but looking to get a light either dmside of front door

• Advertisement

Do outdoor lights work off the mains or battery? We don't have mains at the front of our house and have no plan to due to difficulty of install but looking to get a light either dmside of front door

Mains, i needed mains out the front fort a gate anyway so I got some outdoor sockets fitted front and back at the same time. 4 Lilys in the front and 2 at the back might max out to 5 front and back while extensions are discounted. I have 2 x 2m lightstrips as well that i have to fit still.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

just got confirmation the Vimar friends of hue switch is out but they ant cheap by any means.

https://www.vimar.com/en/int/friends-of-hue-radio-frequency-controls-14788132.html

0K03906 = £88.90
    0K03906.01 = £88.90
    0K03906.02 = £90.24

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Haven’t been following the prices of hue outside light strips ,at moment they are £125 on amazon for the 5meter one , how does this fair do ye know?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

PaulT21 wrote: »

That's not the richer colours version though just in case

RonTon wrote: »
    Haven’t been following the prices of hue outside light strips ,at moment they are £125 on amazon for the 5meter one , how does this fair do ye know?
    Thanks

From what I have seen its good, they are about €150-160 generally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

If I get the starter kit that's discounted on amazon atm will it include a dimmer switch or will I need to get one separately. The 2 lights I plan to use above mantlepiece in living room are on a dimmer switch on the wall.

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob

The philips hue bulbs may not work very well with an existing dimmer switch on the wall, they didn't for me anyway. The dimmer switch has to be left on the maximum, and for me there was a constant crackling sound and also some flicker. I just changed the dimmer for a regular switch and it was fine.

It mentions it here too. I'm not sure if this is always the case.

https://huehomelighting.com/can-still-use-existing-light-switches-hue/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

just got confirmation the Vimar friends of hue switch is out but they ant cheap by any means.

https://www.vimar.com/en/int/friends-of-hue-radio-frequency-controls-14788132.html

0K03906 = £88.90
    0K03906.01 = £88.90
    0K03906.02 = £90.24

Niko pricing around the same.
    Extracting the urine a bit there.
    It'll be cheaper to get fibaro or Aeotec switches and nice dumb plates.
    Or get an electrician to put in a neutral to every switch and increase options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Does the Hue outdoor stuff use the same bulbs as the indoor range. For example is there any difference between the Hue Lucca Outdoor pedestal and a normal garden light with a Hue bulb in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Does the Hue outdoor stuff use the same bulbs as the indoor range. For example is there any difference between the Hue Lucca Outdoor pedestal and a normal garden light with a Hue bulb in it?

Yes most are.

You can buy other fittings cheaper that fit the es or bc type lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

paulbok wrote: »
    Niko pricing around the same.
    Extracting the urine a bit there.
    It'll be cheaper to get fibaro or Aeotec switches and nice dumb plates.
    Or get an electrician to put in a neutral to every switch and increase options.

yeah i have ordered one of these

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610095.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=15023918&gclid=CjwKCAiAlb_fBRBHEiwAzMeEdgrtx9UPAMwpN5p5_RJJHupIfIBDQWOsu0EM6FH2kN5U99NJ2ihpuBoC_IQQAvD_BwE

waiting for it. It might do what i need. I think 90 pounds for an on/off switch is a bit much......... no matter how nice they look.

I'll update when this arrive hopefully this week as i ordered it about 4 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

yeah i have ordered one of these

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610095.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=15023918&gclid=CjwKCAiAlb_fBRBHEiwAzMeEdgrtx9UPAMwpN5p5_RJJHupIfIBDQWOsu0EM6FH2kN5U99NJ2ihpuBoC_IQQAvD_BwE

waiting for it. It might do what i need. I think 90 pounds for an on/off switch is a bit much......... no matter how nice they look.

I'll update when this arrive hopefully this week as i ordered it about 4 weeks ago

I have a wired Aqara switch, got it to test out.
    Can't fault it except for it can't dim, and only available up to 2 gang. I could work around the gang limitation but I do need a dimmer on several switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jones

Any one else notice a high pitched wine off certain hue bulbs? I've 34 bulbs and I've noticed 2 or 3 of the gu10s emit this noise (I can only hear it when it's quiet to be fair) do I've dodgy bulbs or do I need to check my wiring?

Some are normal hue bulbs, some are built bulbs. Lucca is just an e27 bulb, Lily spot or Calla pedestal is a built in bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Finally making my first jump into smart lighting.

These were 50% a few days ago. Are these the most up to date bulbs you can get?

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting E27 Starter Kit, 3 x Philips Hue 10W E27 Richer Colour Bulbs, 1 x Hue Bridge 2.0, Apple Home Kit Enabled, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K1WP7Z4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ely8Bb48J6PF6

Finding it difficult to know as there’s just so many products out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting E27 Starter Kit, 3 x Philips Hue 10W E27 Richer Colour Bulbs, 1 x Hue Bridge 2.0, Apple Home Kit Enabled, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K1WP7Z4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ely8Bb48J6PF6

Yes, Richer Colours are the latest version of bulbs. A B22 version of that kit is available if you need

• Advertisement

That's expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yeah I just checked and you can get the same kit with a dimmer included for £125

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0748MY3RX/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I'd be surprised if there aren't deals on these come Friday so best wait until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

That's expensive

It was a flash sale. Got for £79.99 or if I wanted an echo dot £89.99, i didn’t .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did someone in here say they had the Samotech light switch covers? How are they? I think I might pick up two or three.

It was a flash sale. Got for £79.99 or if I wanted an echo dot £89.99, i didn’t .

I know I got at £69 for 3 bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did someone in here say they had the Samotech light switch covers? How are they? I think I might pick up two or three.

Snug fit and tidy looking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Should have ordered the other day myself, Had it in the cart and didn't have my card on me. Just logged in there to buy now and back to normal price and no free echo :( Hopefully the deal pops back up the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tonc76 wrote: »
    Snug fit and tidy looking

Great thanks. Two ordered!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

TitianGerm wrote: »

I bought two, I had to actually change the light switch from a 30 year old one to one I picked up in B&Q for €2 because there was not enough clearance. But after that they are perfect for the Guest Bedrooms to avoid them turning off the switch.

Advertisement