Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No eating at desk policy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ Jakob Ashy Headboard

Dining al desko is one of the signs of the downfall of society. It's either a red flag that you aren't working to the best of your abilities, or that your employer has underestimated the resources required for that particular position.

I work in a highly pressurised and demanding industry. That said; I can always take 30 minutes away from my desk to eat well, read a book, and listen to some music or a podcast. If the weather is suitable, then I'll always go outside to do so.

I agree people should get a proper lunch break. But if someone in an office on their own would prefer to have a sandwich at their desk while reading or listening to music or looking up stuff on the internet than going into the canteen, I don't really see why that should be an issue.
    It's not necessarily anti social. Some people really just enjoy having their lunch in peace and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Only saps ate at their desk. Nothing worse than these ones ating their breakfast in front of the computer. F*ck out of bed earlier and ate at home you lazy c*nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ Jakob Ashy Headboard

Only saps ate at their desk. Nothing worse than these ones ating their breakfast in front of the computer. F*ck out of bed earlier and ate at home you lazy c*nt

Why are you a sap if you eat at your desk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Why are you a sap if you eat at your desk?

Ate at your desk he said.

Eating is grand. It's Ateing is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I don't mind the ones eating sandwiches or breakfast bars (I do the same from time to time). It's the ones who eat their porridge or whatnot and they noisily clang their spoon in the bowl every minute or so in between typing and eating and then scrape the remains of the bowl which feels like an eternity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

The Finnish girl in accounts is having that smelly fish sandwich again, do you know they leave that in the garden for 6 months to ferment (may or may not be served cold am not sure)

If it's surstromming, be glad she doesn't open the tin in the building......needs to be opened underwater and rinsed for ages otherwise it would really stink the place out. It is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I can understand asking people in shared offices not to eat cooked food at their desks.
    But surely someone in a room of their own, eating a sandwich and reading the paper or something interesting on the internet is not bothering anyone, and getting a proper break from work?

I actually find our canteen more stressful than relaxing at times. People talking about work, a loudmouth who always hogs the conversation to discuss her family, her health etc etc, or just the general noise level when a lot of people are there at the same time.

If this is what i think it is, (and it usually is) probably best not to do it at your desk, but wait until you are in the privacy of your own residence.

• Ate at your desk he said.

Eating bates Ateing.

• Only saps ate at their desk. Nothing worse than these ones ating their breakfast in front of the computer. F*ck out of bed earlier and ate at home you lazy c*nt

Na, I prefer the extra sleep and eating breakfast while browsing the internet and getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The last thing I want to have to do on lunch is talk to my ****ing colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The last thing I want to have to do on lunch is talk to my ****ing colleagues.

Your colleagues **** each other on thier lunch break ? In front of you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Thing with office rules is that either they apply to everyone or they apply to no one, you can't have deviations or it'll be seen as unfair and unenforceable.

Personally, I hate hate hate eating at a desk or seeing someone eating at a desk. Desks are filthy, and eating at them just gives more places for the friendly office mice to run around and sh!t all over, and I'm not talking about the ones you use with your computer.

Lunch break should be that a break, not a sit at your desk and stink out the office whilst spreading crumbs ala Hansel and Gretel for the office vermin to feast on. If you detest your work colleagues so much that you can't share the canteen/ lunch room then take your lunch at a different time, or go out and about for lunch, there are as many solutions to this issue as there are complaints.

• screamer wrote: »
    Thing with office rules is that either they apply to everyone or they apply to no one, you can't have deviations or it'll be seen as unfair and unenforceable.

Personally, I hate hate hate eating at a desk or seeing someone eating at a desk. Desks are filthy, and eating at them just gives more places for the friendly office mice to run around and sh!t all over, and I'm not talking about the ones you use with your computer.

Lunch break should be that a break, not a sit at your desk and stink out the office whilst spreading crumbs ala Hansel and Gretel for the office vermin to feast on. If you detest your work colleagues so much that you can't share the canteen/ lunch room then take your lunch at a different time, or go out and about for lunch, there are as many solutions to this issue as there are complaints.

Its like being back in school ffs, people should be free to eat lunch where they want. I very rarely eat lunch at my desk but I would sometimes eat breakfast there and dinner if I'm working late.

But the idea that you wouldn't have the freedom to choose is just bizarre. Honestly I don't know how people work in some of the places I read about here with all the rules and regulations. I almost treat work as an extension of home and do more or less what I want, have the craic around the place and don't have to worry about stupid rules like not eating at your desk, dress codes and strict start times in the morning and other such nonsense I read about in other work places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Na, I prefer the extra sleep and eating breakfast while browsing the internet and getting paid.

Disgusting childish behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I eat breakfast at my desk, a few people do. I'd stop if anyone had an issue with the smell and stick to the canteen or whatever
    Rarely eat lunch at my desk, it's good to get away and clear your head a bit, but sometimes you go out to the shops and have lunch at your desk after

Swings
    ....... .... and dinner if I'm working late..........

& roundabouts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

One of my colleagues was eating lunch at his desk today, it was a salad that mainly seemed to consist of onions and garlic. The smell was unreal! I ended up going for lunch earlier than usual as it was so distracting. I have another colleague who regularly eats microwaved fish or Asian food at his desk and stinks out the entire office. I wish we had a no desk lunch policy here! I don't mind people eating non-stinky food in the office and even do it myself occasionally, but there are too many inconsiderate people around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

I almost treat work as an extension of home and do more or less what I want, have the craic around the place and don't have to worry about stupid rules like not eating at your desk, dress codes and strict start times in the morning and other such nonsense I read about in other work places.

Erm, in most workplaces, you'd have no choice but to follow some if not all of these rules. You wouldn't get the choice not to. That "nonsense" - certainly the dress code and start times - is commonplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ate at your desk he said.

Aters gotta ate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No canteen in my current gig. So it's eat at the desk, pay heaps to eat in an overpriced cafe, or starve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They tried to ban drinking at our desks.

Fascists.

I have a small office and usually close my door and eat at my desk. It's a welcome break from the constant interaction that makes up much of my mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No eating lunch at your desk, please. This has just been introduced into my workplace, even for people in offices on their own. No real reason given.

Just wondering if this is a standard thing in workplaces, and is it usually adhered to?

Can eat lunch, drink coffee, browse boards in my place at the desk. Generally 0 fcuks giving once I'm meeting deliverables.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Never eat in work, live close enough that I can nip home for breakfast and go home and relax at lunchtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No eating lunch at your desk, please. This has just been introduced into my workplace, even for people in offices on their own. No real reason given.

Just wondering if this is a standard thing in workplaces, and is it usually adhered to?
    The ****s who bring in indian takeaways or egg sandwiches are the ones to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We are prohibited from eating hot food at our desks. Sandwiches etc are fine. I often eat porridge at my desk though. Once it doesn't smell it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Lia_lia wrote: »
    We are prohibited from eating hot food at our desks. Sandwiches etc are fine. I often eat porridge at my desk though. Once it doesn't smell it's grand.

Are toasted sandwiches?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I've been eating at my desk for close to a decade now as I've been working in newsrooms where the concept of stepping away for 30 minutes is entirely laughable and borderline a fireable offence. Hot-desking is the norm too so you can imagine the petri-dish of germs that accumulate. It sucks but what have you.

There's a special place in hell reserved for people who heat up fish dishes in tupperware and inflict the smell on the entire room and people who don't wipe down their desks and keyboards after their shift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement