Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No eating at desk policy

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I eat at my desk but only because there is no canteen, just a kitchen. I only ever eat cereal, sandwiches and cold food though, would never bring something hot into the office...not fair to subject other people to that.

Sorry but what?! Cereal is surely the worst thing you can have at your desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Erm, in most workplaces, you'd have no choice but to follow some if not all of these rules. You wouldn't get the choice not to. That "nonsense" - certainly the dress code and start times - is commonplace.

If you work in a job where you may have to work late, you expect flexibility about start times. I wouldn't be long quitting a job where there was quibbling about start times, I have never refused to work late or at the weekend. It's the nature of the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    And once the food isn't stinky - I took a fresh, home-made shepherd's pie out of the fridge this evening, and it tasted yum but very strong smell off it before I heated it up. And that's shepherd's pie, nowhere near egg/onion/tuna/salmon territory. I don't understand people who have difficulty with just spending enough time in the canteen to eat food that's strong smelling - and I prefer to have my lunch to myself mostly too. It's a canteen/kitchen, not the seventh circle of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

They tried to ban drinking at our desks.

Fascists.

we actually have fridges full of bottles of beer in work, staff are free to imbibe in the evenings. Though I seldom see anyone imbibing unless there is a night out or something and I'm usually gone by 4 anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

we actually have fridges full of bottles of beer in work, staff are free to imbibe in the evenings. Though I seldom see anyone imbibing unless there is a night out or something and I'm usually gone by 4 anyhow

Good, you don't fall for the ploy to keep you in work longer than you need to be! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Flimpson wrote: »
    And once the food isn't stinky - I took a fresh, home-made shepherd's pie out of the fridge this evening, and it tasted yum but very strong smell off it before I heated it up. And that's shepherd's pie, nowhere near egg/onion/tuna/salmon territory. I don't understand people who have difficulty with just spending enough time in the canteen to eat food that's strong smelling - and I prefer to have my lunch to myself mostly too. It's a canteen/kitchen, not the seventh circle of hell.

It probably is near enough hell for some people having to listen to some annoying colleagues' inane ramblings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

There is a special circle of Hell just for people who put curry into the communal microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

There is a special circle of Hell just for people who put curry fish into the communal microwave.

fyp

(Curry isn't so bad!)

Disgusting childish behaviour.

Jealous are we?
    Augeo wrote: »
    Swings

& roundabouts :)

There is far far more swings than roundabouts ;)
    _Jamie_ wrote: »
    Erm, in most workplaces, you'd have no choice but to follow some if not all of these rules. You wouldn't get the choice not to. That "nonsense" - certainly the dress code and start times - is commonplace.

By dress code I mean stupid dress codes like suits or very formal wear in general. I'm all for wearing nice jeans/chinos and a nice polo or shirt in the vast majority of work places this would be fine but yet I see people sitting at a desk and being forced to dress up like they are going to a wedding. As for strict start times, totally unnecessary in many jobs and enforced simply because its the done thing. Places are getting much more flexible but a lot of places have a way to go, the idea of having to be in at 9am or else (aside from having a pre-arranged meeting) is just madness imo for many people. Or having strict lunch times or not being able to pop out for an appointment or to the bank without taking time off etc that would drive me mad.
    No canteen in my current gig. So it's eat at the desk, pay heaps to eat in an overpriced cafe, or starve.

Meeting room? We have a canteen but one of the meeting rooms has become an informal lunch and tea room for people in my part of the office who buy lunch in the shop, get a take away from the canteen or bring their own. Its right beside the room with the kettle, coffee machine and microwaves too which is handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

We actually have tea ladies in our place, 2 full time employees for an office of around 70-80 people.
    They make homemade scones, breads, cakes. Big pots of tea on the table. Maybe even sausage rolls. Everyone heads for tea break at 10am for 25minutes or so.

• Advertisement

There is far far more swings than roundabouts ;)...............

Did you get the staff job yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    We actually have tea ladies in our place, 2 full time employees for an office of around 70-80 people.
    They make homemade scones, breads, cakes. Big pots of tea on the table. Maybe even sausage rolls. Everyone heads for tea break at 10am for 25minutes or so.
    I was already surprised at how many boardsies have cafeterias at their workplace, I wonder how many have tea ladies!:)

I cannot imagine everyone going for a tea break at the same time, that is pretty weird. We find it hard to schedule one lunch a month because we are all hardly ever available at the same time.

I cannot imagine everyone going for a tea break at the same time, that is pretty weird. We find it hard to schedule one lunch a month because we are all hardly ever available at the same time.

Honestly, in here if you didn't go for tea at 10, it would be considered very strange. It's part of the company culture, there's people here for 40years who I doubt have ever missed a tea break.
    Everyone just stops what there doing at 10 and heads to the canteen. I even hear people ending phone calls saying they'll phone back after break.

It's weird but you get used to it. My only issue with it is it's too early, only start at 8.45 so it'd make more sense to have it a bit later.

I was already surprised at how many boardsies have cafeterias at their workplace, I wonder how many have tea ladies!:)

There is no fixed lunch time where I work but myself and a few friends take lunch at the same time everyday and always have lunch together. None of us will ever arrange meetings or calls between 1 and 2 pm as this is the time we have been having lunch for years, so aside from the rare occasion where we have a meeting arranged by someone else we would all be available.

Some of these people wouldn't even be in my team though and arranging a lunch for a bigger group would be much harder as people tend to take lunch at different times and plan their day around it or are in their own little lunch groups that they meet everyday.

People tend to go for tea in smaller groups also when they feel like it rather than a company wide thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Nearly everyone in my workplace eats breakfast at our desks. Our boss even started buying the porridge as so many of us eat it.
    I usually go for a walk at lunch or run errands. I find I can't focus very well if I stay at my desk for lunch. Our kitchen gets a bit crazy at lunchtime. I usually steer clear.
    Worked in a place before where you couldn't even have a cup of tea at the desk. I don't know if I could cope with that now. Sometimes you just need an excuse to step away from your desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

If it stops the feckers scraping the bowls with their spoons whilst eating their porridge, it's a good thing.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

HS3 wrote: »
    If it stops the feckers scraping the bowls with their spoons whilst eating their porridge, it's a good thing.:mad:

The things people get annoyed about astonishes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

No policy in our place.Happy workers the lot of us are because the boss is sound.He is sitting there now destroying a breakfast roll.
    There always spoons scraping bowls but when all that crap stops work starts.It is like an unofficial alarm.

Hah, somebody just spilled dry porridge on there desk.

Do I care ?

No.I'm a happy worker and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Edups wrote: »

You obviously don't have noise sensitivity to scraping ceramic bowls/plates. Think nails on a chalkboard.
    I have this quite bad so when there's someone (usually at work) scraping their fork of spoon off a ceramic bowl I get shivers throughout my body.

• Advertisement

Edups wrote:

I was just thinking that. Some people aren't really cut out to be living in large communities surrounded by others. I suspect they'd be happier living in a hut in some desolate location forging a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

mohawk wrote: »
    Nearly everyone in my workplace eats breakfast at our desks. Our boss even started buying the porridge as so many of us eat it.
    I usually go for a walk at lunch or run errands. I find I can't focus very well if I stay at my desk for lunch. Our kitchen gets a bit crazy at lunchtime. I usually steer clear.
    Worked in a place before where you couldn't even have a cup of tea at the desk. I don't know if I could cope with that now. Sometimes you just need an excuse to step away from your desk.

we have free cereal & porridge in our job but they only take them out at 8am and lock them away again after breakfast, don't see the sense in that really, what, in case people are going to double up on the rice Krispies breakfast & lunch!

If the kitchen staff are late in the mornings to let the cereal out at 8 it turns into a scene from Oliver Twist with a load of people walking around with empty bowls.
    I usually just have my porridge at 745 to beat the rush, 1kg bag of Super Valu Porridge Oats 95c I paid for it last time, lasts a month. Think I can just about stretch to that

Advertisement