Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your ethics.....

• 16-11-2016 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How do you work out if something is right or wrong?

I love reading about ethics. I studied it in college and it can provide some interesting thought experiments. The problem with most ethical theories is implementing them in real life.

Here's an example. There's a theory called utilitarianism. It basically means that you weight up the good and bad that an action causes and if the good outweighs the bad then it's a good action. The problem is when you're in a situation that requires a decision quickly you can't start totting up a list. And sometimes it requires you to do a bad thing (like murder someone for an inheritance so you could save multiple other people). It is really good for making laws. You set out some rights and then make laws around them. So smoking in a creche is bad because it affects children but smoking outside by yourself is ok because to ban it would restrict your freedom (which is a right you have). Most systems of laws in the western world are based on a system like this.

I'm not expecting people to have a fixed system with a name. We tend to make decisions based on a number of things but I'm wondering what criteria or thought process people here would use to make a moral decision. Or if they have any examples of when they've been stuck.

(And I know that with any system it's possible to poke holes in them so please feel free to poke holes in mine and don't take it badly when people poke holes in yours. If there was a perfect system we'd all be using it already and this wouldn't be a discussion).

Personally I've always been a fan of something called virtue theory. It has no rules but the idea is that you try to be a virtuous person so that when you're in a tricky situation you have the tools to deal with it. A virtue is defined as a mean between two extremes. So the idea is that bravery is between being feckless and being a coward. Being charitable is between being a miser and giving everything away. So rather than creating a system for working out a moral/ethical problem it creates a person who can deal with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I generally choose what I reckon would result in the most average happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Simple. I just follow the teachings of the bible. Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

That's a very interesting question. I'm not sure I can actually put my finger on mine - I've got a few general guidelines like the Golden Rule, along with an emotional desire to help and not to inflict harm.
    Does that constitute and ethical theory, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

stimpson wrote: »
    Simple. I just follow the teachings of the bible. Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff.

Yep, and whatever the parish priest says. May sure you alternate the contradictory stuff, though.

But seriously...I just do what seems right, what causes the least negativity all round. It's hard to describe your ethics without a situation to illustrate how you'd deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Gordon Scary Public

I just follow the principle of doing harm to nobody and helping when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Interesting thread!

I think there's a sneaky part of human nature that is based on what we can get away with. A choice should be based on virtue and the right, but we have an awful nack of letting what we really really want influence our decisions and be excused away by either the likelihood of getting caught and measuring the badness of the decision against something worse that may have been done to you, or someone else.

I can't say my ethics are always pure and I would certainly excuse away a bad decision if I could get away with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

I follow what most people think it is right.
    If it is 50/50, i am neutral.

That's not how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”
    -Spock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The golden rule. Try and treat people with kindness.

I also try and be as honest with myself as much as possible. I find that very important as I get older and in the end it always makes me happy, even if it's shyte at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Most average? So if it would make you too happy you wouldn't do it? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A man must have a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Deub wrote: »
    I follow what most people think it is right.
    If it is 50/50, i am neutral.

That's not how it works?

I was the same. Had a whole team of pollsters following me around to advise me. I ditched them all last week.

My name may or may not be Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Magic 8-Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do whatever the voice of God that I hear in my head demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Whatever experiences & influences have brought me to where I am today, guide me in my everyday decisions. I try never to do harm to others

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

stimpson wrote: »

If I followed the bible I'd have murdered the wife, stoned the kids and cut off both my own hands and gouged my eyes out, hopefully not in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ethics, ha, good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's a gut feeling. I don't think I could quantify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

TL;DR How do you decide if you can get away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I uncritically embrace the latest trendy leftist identity politics I read on facebook and label anyone who don't agree as a bigot and halfwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I uncritically embrace the latest trendy leftist identity politics I read on facebook and label anyone who don't agree as a bigot and halfwit.

I think I know you on Facebook. Seems sadly familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I have no morals .......... and I'm being serious .......... self-preservation, and of those people I love, is all that concerns me.

Having said that, I have been justifiably accused of having sociopathic tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am exactly halfway crook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Whatever experiences & influences have brought me to where I am today, guide me in my everyday decisions. I try never to do harm to others

Yup, that about sums up my views on it nicely.

I abhor the word "morals", or "morality", it turns my stomach. I'm sure you can guess why, OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Treat others the way you would like to treat them so as to maximise utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”
    -Spock

That, and the prime directive. Problem Solved.

Grayson wrote: »
    How do you work out if something is right or wrong?

Too general a question to answer with anything but too general an answer. Because for me most morality and ethics is contextual.

If a generalised answer is what is required though - I guess what many people - myself included - would say is that we try to maximise well being and reduce suffering.

As you say this sometimes involves "totting up" in a way that you simply do not have the time or wherewithal to do "in the moment". But most of us have ideas and reflexes conditioned over a life time of thought and experience which do a lot of that "on the fly" and "in the moment". Not perfect by any means - but I would say it tots up the correct result more often than not.

When you see someone drowning for example you generally feel compelled to jump in and save them. You do not tot up the probability that maybe he was on a murderous rampage and he is now in the water because someone knocked him there in self defense and your saving him will enable him to continue his rampage. Thankfully in the majority of cases this will not be the case and your saving someone is the right thing to do.

But I know what you mean about the thought experiments. For example some people say it is never a good thing to lie. Then in answer to this some people say - you are sitting having a meal with Joe and someone comes to the door saying "do you know where joe is - I want to kill him". So they think that lying in that context is the right thing to do.

But then someone furthers the thought experiment saying that _overhearing_ the conversation joe tries to escape out the back door - but due to your lie the would be killer leaves your door and happens then to bump into and murder joe. So perhaps lying is _not_ the right thing to do.

The "train" problem has always humored me too. If you have a train going along a track towards three people - while on another track stands a single man - would you flick the lever that will redirect the train away from the three in danger and towards the one who is currently not in danger - thus killing him. Most people - it turns out - would flick the lever.

However you put the identical problem thusly - that the train is hurtling towards the three people and you have a fat man beside you of sufficient mass to stop the train. Would you push him in front of it - killing him but saving the three. Most people - it turns out - say no. Even though the results are identical - one man not in danger is killed in the process of saving three people who were.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Varies from situation to situation. Mainly egoism, and utilitarianism with a bit of moral nihilism.

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Average happiness is an interesting one if not articulated right :)

For example if I walk - as a relatively healthy human being - into a doctors office with a small complaint - and that doctor happens to have 5 patients who require organs that I have - would he increase "average happiness" to just kill and eviscerate me for my organs on the spot? You would go from 6 people - 5 of whom are miserable - to 5 people who are happy and healthy and one who does not care - because he is dead.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    That's a very interesting question. I'm not sure I can actually put my finger on mine - I've got a few general guidelines like the Golden Rule, along with an emotional desire to help and not to inflict harm.

The main problem with the Golden Rule is that it is only as good as the person saying it. The idea of treating other people how you yourself want to be treated - for example - is not something you would want to hear uttered by a masochist.

Further if you play your words right the Golden Rule can be used to justify just about anything. I could - if you want - use it to justify murdering homosexuals and pedophiles. All I would have to say is "If I ever found out I was gay - I would want someone to kill me" and then saying "Treat others like you want to be treated" I would instantly have justification for murdering homosexuals.

Advertisement