Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your ethics.....

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The "train" problem has always humored me too. If you have a train going along a track towards three people - while on another track stands a single man - would you flick the lever that will redirect the train away from the three in danger and towards the one who is currently not in danger - thus killing him. Most people - it turns out - would flick the lever.

However you put the identical problem thusly - that the train is hurtling towards the three people and you have a fat man beside you of sufficient mass to stop the train. Would you push him in front of it - killing him but saving the three. Most people - it turns out - say no. Even though the results are identical - one man not in danger is killed in the process of saving three people who were.

I think what comes into play here is levels of remoteness. Flicking a switch to re-direct a train is a more remote action than physically shoving someone - who, it can be assumed, would scream and yell and try and defend himself - in front of a train and seeing him killed at close range.
    The more remote you can make the killing action, the easier it will be to persuade people to kill.
    As far as I know, it was one of the reason the Nazis started using gas chambers to kill. They had been using firing squads, but it was hard and getting harder for the people doing the shooting. They were experiencing guilt, started questioning, and where possible were trying to get out of that "duty".
    Herding people into a room and locking it, and then releasing the gas was a much more remote action, and resulted in far less problems with the executioners' consciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Rule 1= Try not to be a *unt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The main problem with the Golden Rule is that it is only as good as the person saying it. The idea of treating other people how you yourself want to be treated - for example - is not something you would want to hear uttered by a masochist.

Further if you play your words right the Golden Rule can be used to justify just about anything. I could - if you want - use it to justify murdering homosexuals and pedophiles. All I would have to say is "If I ever found out I was gay - I would want someone to kill me" and then saying "Treat others like you want to be treated" I would instantly have justification for murdering homosexuals.

That would be why my other 2 moral guidelines are "help where possible" and "don't inflict harm".
    It's the main reason I'm vegetarian, for example. But it's also the reason I drive an electric car and am a maniac about recycling and reducing waste ;)

But I think you do have a point. The Golden Rule should be re-written from "Treat others the way you want to be treated" to "Treat others how they want to be treated" - within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I just follow the principle of treating others as I would like to be treated myself and using good old fashioned common sense and logical thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The "train" problem has always humored me too. If you have a train going along a track towards three people - while on another track stands a single man - would you flick the lever that will redirect the train away from the three in danger and towards the one who is currently not in danger - thus killing him. Most people - it turns out - would flick the lever.

However you put the identical problem thusly - that the train is hurtling towards the three people and you have a fat man beside you of sufficient mass to stop the train. Would you push him in front of it - killing him but saving the three. Most people - it turns out - say no. Even though the results are identical - one man not in danger is killed in the process of saving three people who were.

I just wouldn't get involved ...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ok, here we go

The trolley problem is interesting as a thought experiment, but in a real world situation, very few people would deliberately push the fat man or pull the switch to divert the train, because we don't have the perfect knowledge of the causes and effects related to our actions or inactions

What if I pull the lever to divert the track and watch in horror as the 3 people who were on the track manage to get out of the way and wouldn't have been killed even if the train wasn't diverted, meanwhile the one person on the track attracts the attention of some bystanders who rush in to save him and suddenly there are 4 people who get hit by the train...

Humans have limited information to make every decision, and we have to make judgements in real time based on guesses about what the outcomes are going to be.

People feel more responsible to act when they're in direct proximity to a crisis. If you're the first person to arrive at a car crash at a remote location, you're much more likely to stop even if you're not a doctor or if you don't have any skills in dealing with emergencies. If you're a passer by at an accident and there are loads of other people around, you're much more likely to let someone else deal with it. This isn't because you're immoral, it's because you can realistically presume that others are better qualified to help, and that too many people interfering can make things worse.

If you hear about an earthquake in Haiti, you might be prompted to send a small donation to help the recovery efforts, but if there's a neighbour who you know, whose house was burnt down and they are in a desperate situation, you're much more likely to spend many hours and a larger portion of your income in assisting them clean up and rebuilding their house.

This is because we feel a greater responsibility to help people who are near to us, and we expect that others feel the same.

Some people like Peter Singer try to equate two acts 1. you walk past a pond with a drowning child who you could easily save, and 2. there are children in africa starving who you could easily save with a small charitable donation.

Singer argues that you would be considered a monster if you refused to save the drowning child because it wasn't your responsibility, but it's morally no different to refusing to save the starving children in Africa.

In reality, it's a different moral situation. With the drowning child, that life is entirely in your hands. Only you can save her, and if you do nothing, that child will surely die.

With the example of African children, the responsibility is diluted throughout the world, where the first people who fail these children are the people who have made the political and economic choices that prevent them from getting access to food. There might be bandits or thieves hoarding the aid donations, there might be corrupt officials who are diverting resources away from those most in need.. The primary responsibility is at a closer proximity to the people in need, and there is also the uncertainty about what the best course of action to save the most lives is. The history of development is paved with well intentioned projects doing more harm than good, there are governance issues that need to be addressed to move people off dependence on aid, and towards sustainable economic positions... Or the people who vote for candidates in elections who promise to increase the amount of international state aid is we give our of our taxation, are we more moral than those who give a fixed donation each month to african charities, but consistently vote for candidates who promise to cut state aid and promote self serving economic policies that will guarantee that developing nations never catch up?

Is the person who gives away all of his income to keep people alive after earthquakes and tsunamis more moral than the person who works really hard to improve governance in global political structures and to rebalance the global economy so that people are less reliant on international aid?

Or is the person who works hard to make sure that rivers and ponds have life bouys and maintians slipways and access to the water to keep children from falling in in the first place less moral than the person who jumps in to save the child. Or is the person in local government who refuses funding for life bouys at that pond equally as immoral as the person who doesn't jump in to save the child...

My personal ethics is broadly utilitarian, we ought to act in a way that results in the best outcomes, ie promotes positive well being, and reduces suffering, but I don't do the calculus on each moral decision, I focus on the values that underly the decisions that people make in order to judge them good or evil.

Greed can be amongst the most immoral of attributes. People who already have everything they need, using their economic social and political capital to get more for themselves and less for everyone else is hugely immoral.
    If people can learn to be satisfied with their fair share, then there is enough on this planet to go around and we'll be able to work together to sort out the mess we've made of our environment

Authoritarianism is another characteristic that tends towards immorality. Its tied in with arrogance, people who think they know better than everyone else, and thinks that they ought to have the power to impose that will on others regardless of their view on the matter
    If people are prepared to listen and reason through the issues, we'll manage to free ourselves from the broken systems that are preserved only through inertia and heirarchical system that survive by the preservation of self interest by those with the most power.

Dishonesty is the trait that binds most immoral actions together. Telling lies isn't the same as being a fundamentally dishonest person. I tell my kids that Santa will bring them presents at christmas. That's not true, but it's a 'white lie' The kinds of dishonesty I'm talking about are people who deliberately distort facts and logic and reason in order to promote their preferred course of action even if they know that they're wrong.
    Here we have all the scammers, the politicians who lie at election time so they can do the opposite after they're in power, religious leaders who try to indoctrinate people with false promises and false threats, medical woo merchants who prey on vulnerable people who are looking for relief from their suffering, marketing and commercial actors who promote their goods and services in underhanded ways knowing that they can never deliver on their promises....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The vale of ignorance is a very good way of looking at issues in a wider context.

The "veil of ignorance" is a method of determining the morality of political issues proposed in 1971 by American philosopher John Rawls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_of_ignorance

mariaalice wrote: »
    The vale of ignorance is a very good way of looking at issues in a wider context.

The "veil of ignorance" is a method of determining the morality of political issues proposed in 1971 by American philosopher John Rawls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_of_ignorance

Yeah, that's the gold standard in designing a just and fair society. The system we have now, where everyone needs to promote their own self interest breaks down when there is a big disparity in the lobbying power of some groups over others.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

A man must have a code.

No doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think what comes into play here is levels of remoteness. Flicking a switch to re-direct a train is a more remote action than physically shoving someone - who, it can be assumed, would scream and yell and try and defend himself - in front of a train and seeing him killed at close range.
    The more remote you can make the killing action, the easier it will be to persuade people to kill.
    As far as I know, it was one of the reason the Nazis started using gas chambers to kill. They had been using firing squads, but it was hard and getting harder for the people doing the shooting. They were experiencing guilt, started questioning, and where possible were trying to get out of that "duty".
    Herding people into a room and locking it, and then releasing the gas was a much more remote action, and resulted in far less problems with the executioners' consciences.

They did a survey where they gave two options. Pushing a man to save a group pf people or pushing a child to save a group of people. Pretty much no-one said they'd push the child.

Mathematically it's the same. One live to save others but we don't see it that way. Children are special.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    They did a survey where they gave two options. Pushing a man to save a group pf people or pushing a child to save a group of people. Pretty much no-one said they'd push the child.

Mathematically it's the same. One live to save others but we don't see it that way. Children are special.
    Mathematics is a universal constant. Human psychology is a variable that has evolved over billions of years of natural selection.

The fact that it was a 'fat' 'man' who might have stopped the train influences the outcomes of the thought experiment. Its not that children are special, there are a lot of possible combinations that would have reduced or increased the people who pull the switch.

'Intelligent man', 'beautiful woman', 'convicted criminal', 'war hero', 'fat woman', 'thin man', 'golden retriever'.....

As an experiment it's not measuring how valuable 3 people are, its measuring how valuable they are compared to one fat man. If it was 3 people versus their own personal hero, or a family member, then those 3 people are doomed.

Similarly, the description of the 3 vs 1 in the lever scenario implies that the victims are all exactly the same, but if it was real life, the choice would be drastically different depending on which people are identifiably related to the person pulling the switch as well as a whole host of oter factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Groucho Marx

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Groucho Marx

I cant but only hear that in Donald Trumps voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I find ethics to be a very weird thing to talk about.
    By that I mean there are soooooo many factors involved. Ethics depend on the person and everyone is different. Also other things effect a person's ethics such as personal gain - like if someone else did something you would say how wrong it was but yet when you did the same yourself and you got something positive out of it? well suddenly that's different. What you did really wasn't that wrong / you were "forced" to do that etc.

Advertisement