Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the best year of your life so far?

2»

Comments

Tigger wrote: »
    I think 5 stars is 1,000,000

Back to sleep I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

1964 was pretty good...everyone liked me and I could **** in a bag and someone would come along clean me up
    I only had to cry to get my own way and I got a LOT of bitty
    Basically it was sleep, eat and poop all day long.......wait....that was also last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Persepoly wrote: »
    Back to sleep I go.

Lol you playing again?

Tigger wrote: »
    S
    Took
    Me 11 years I. Cane believe you will don't in two

A I have no life.
    B I like boards.
    C I like boards.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Persepoly wrote: »
    A I have no life.
    B I like boards.
    C I like boards.

:p

Same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

2008, without a doubt.

During the Summer, I realised I didn't need to move the cursor up to 'File' and then click 'Save' or 'Save As' to save a document, instead I could simply press 'Crtl' & 'S'. It's changed my life!

Also, that Christmas I received a particularly nice packet of socks from my aunt.

Wonderful memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Best year certainly wasn't this year anyway, worst year ever

Great video op

I'd say around 1998-2000 .. being aged about 8 to 10 was blissful in hindsight. At that age your whole future is still a long way away so you are able to wonder what might happen, and being that age you tend to assume it'll all be great. And because all your peers at that age are "at the same level" as you since you are all in school, nobody had "shifted" anyone yet etc. there is less of a feeling of social inferiority/superiority that emerges as time goes by. You just tend to be a lot more mentally healthy at that age than when you get older, I would say. I'd say maybe 1999 was the best year of my life. Playing PlayStation, watching cartoons, playing outside, enjoying school, capable of experiencing crisp mental experiences, daydreaming and using my imagination.

I did like 2004 out of all the years 2002 onwards (.. teenage discos, no state exams that year, awakened mentally to deep questions about life, reality, the world, without yet having thought so deeply as for it to have had a harmful impact, had a decent holiday abroad etc..) although I did develop obsessive thoughts about death that year which ruined my life for a long time after.

2006/7 had their good points for me too. I remember a sense of luxuriousness about those times which even then disturbed me, and I wasnt from a rich household, i just mean from looking around me. I had made some good friends at school by then and the internet was just getting fast which a novelty at the time.. had some good holidays too. Among multiple other reasons.

But every year since 2008 onwards are like a different dimension in terms of mental ill health for me though, and there are many factors personal and societal that I feel contributed to that. It literally feels like the reality from before 2008 is a different life I lived, there is no juiciness or sense of vitality anymore in my subjective experience of life, just a blunted numb feeling.

I guess "best" could mean a few things. If it means the one I enjoyed the most - then I am not sure I could pick. Lots of years have highlights - like the first year I became a parent and so on and so on.

If I think of "best" as the year that - looking back - was the best one in terms of my whole life however it was the year where I turned myself around. They year after college. It was a hard slog but I turned from a lazy depressed layabout waster animal - into a healthy active happy engaged and hard working human. So everything I am happy about today - I owe it's roots traceable back to that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I like to think that my best year has not happened yet. Always try to be optimistic that life keeps getting better. Boring answer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement