Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV content in pubs?

• 18-11-2016 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Just seen this:
    Age Tester Site Checker
    Serve Legal LTD - Westtown, County Waterford
    Part-time
    Serve Legal are recruiting NOW and have work available every weekend all over Ireland N.I. and R.O.I.. We are looking for persons aged 18 years old to join the team. The work involves visiting a number of pubs and recording what is being shown on their TV. This work will be available almost every weekend though there may be testing on other days of the week.
    If you think youve got what it takes to join the Serve Legal team and are over 18 years old, apply now. Applications must be made online at www.servelegal.co.ukapply.

What in the name of jaysus do pubs be putting on the TV that this has become a job? Are they throwing on babestation or some thing? And in fairness even if they were after 9pm children aren't allowed in pubs so what would it matter as long as the other people there didn't mind. I have to wonder how inconspicuous you could be recording the TV anyway. Someone sitting at the bar with their phone out (presumably how they record) won't blend in.

Is this truly things gone mad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

They'll be checking they've paid the correct licence for what they're showing.

It's what the pint glass in the corner is for on pub tellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Do you get an allowance for business expenses though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hate TV and loud music in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

They'll be checking they've paid the correct licence for what they're showing.

I wonder if many pubs have tried tippex a pint glass in the corner to avoid the 'pub TV fee'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

kfallon wrote: »
    I wonder if many pubs have tried tippex a pint glass in the corner to avoid the 'pub TV fee'

That's why they change the glass every so often :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Here's a different version of the advert.

Hi, I'm Mr Murdoch. I've given zillions of my money to overrated footie clubs to pay second rate players and their agents huge amounts of money.

I have to get that money from mugs paying to watch it. I charge pubs up to €15k a year. But some dodge this by just paying domestic rates.

I want snitches to spy on these small country pubs so that I cam screw them.

Apply now @ skysnitches.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Walter2016 wrote: »

Hi, I'm Mr Murdoch. I've given zillions of my money to overrated footie clubs to pay second rate players and their agents huge amounts of money.

I have to get that money from mugs paying to watch it. I charge pubs up to €15k a year. But some dodge this by just paying domestic rates.

Ahhhhh

Bastard that murdoch he used to be a lovely boy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Walter2016 wrote: »

What pub shows is what gets people in the door, damn right they should pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

OP I think you may have the wrong idea here.

This is SKY ensuring that publicans are legitimately showing football on SKY to their customers by having paid the correct (and considerably larger) subscription.

This has been going on for years.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What pub shows is what gets people in the door, damn right they should pay for it.

They do pay. But why should smaller pubs pay 15k a year to show some football match? I don't own a pub but I'll be ****ed if I would.

• Advertisement

• Hate TV and loud music in pubs.

This, a trillion times. This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

New pub game! Spot the Snitch! Who's the Rent-a-Rat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

kfallon wrote: »

A serial number generated by the box is displayed on sky sports channels so the account used can also be traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Vic_08 wrote: »
    A serial number generated by the box is displayed on sky sports channels so the account used can also be traced.

That's to track who's supplying online streams a far as I know

Fleawuss wrote: »
    New pub game! Spot the Snitch! Who's the Rent-a-Rat?

Whoever is eating cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Hate TV and loud music in pubs.

Don't think the The George will be your cup of tea then..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Pubs should't have TV's, thats where we go to talk to each other, thats why we call every one a cúnt

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

dd972 wrote: »
    Don't think the The George will be your cup of tea then..

Didn't know the George had TV's

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

uch wrote: »
    Pubs shouldn't have TVs, that's where we go to talk to each other, that's why we call every one a cúnt

It's the loud music that gets my goat. It's so that people can't actually have conversations with each other without shouting and getting dry mouths. Dry mouths = more beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Didnt a landlady in sunderland i think as i remember niall quinn was oart of story win in court to show a satellite channel and avoid huge charges. From.what i remember pub was very close to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Didnt a landlady in sunderland i think as i remember niall quinn was oart of story win in court to show a satellite channel and avoid huge charges. From.what i remember pub was very close to the ground

Say what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I like a football match in a pub. I also love seeing the disapproving rugby heads look on from the lounge, probably tutting away at the sound of an occasional curse word from the apparent working-class rapscallions who flock to watch English football teams kick a bit of leather around. Their faces say, 'Knackers!' but their eyes say, 'Why not Leinster?'.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Say what now?
    I'd suspect they're on about this case: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

I'm open to correction, as memory fails me now, but that's why there's a Premier League logo graphic stuck on their games now, as it's a copyright image. Similar for other leagues. I think Sky Sports might be the only exception, where I assume their logo is what is the copyright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Edups wrote: »
    Just seen this:
    Age Tester Site Checker
    Serve Legal LTD - Westtown, County Waterford
    Part-time
    Serve Legal are recruiting NOW and have work available every weekend all over Ireland N.I. and R.O.I.. We are looking for persons aged 18 years old to join the team. The work involves visiting a number of pubs and recording what is being shown on their TV. This work will be available almost every weekend though there may be testing on other days of the week.
    If you think youve got what it takes to join the Serve Legal team and are over 18 years old, apply now. Applications must be made online at www.servelegal.co.ukapply.

What in the name of jaysus do pubs be putting on the TV that this has become a job? Are they throwing on babestation or some thing? And in fairness even if they were after 9pm children aren't allowed in pubs so what would it matter as long as the other people there didn't mind. I have to wonder how inconspicuous you could be recording the TV anyway. Someone sitting at the bar with their phone out (presumably how they record) won't blend in.

Is this truly things gone mad?

Sky/Virgin or whatever without a public subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I remember when the starview boxes were popular in 2007-2009 so many pubs had them. No one gave a toss. Wouldn't be surprised to hear pubs are paying non-commerical rates or even using streaming boxes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

uch wrote: »
    Didn't know the George had TV's

Sure they easily have more than any other pub in Dublin.

• They'll be checking they've paid the correct licence for what they're showing.

I've just had an even better idea that those lads (the checkers) can use to make even more money.

Sure, take the crown shilling from Sky to go into pubs with your camera to be a grass. Then, when you see something you shouldn't, pull the owner/landlord/supervisor aside for a (*cough*) "private word". Double your money at the pub's expense by returning to your student bedsit and holding your camera up to old VHS tapes made by your parents of The Late Late Show.

I've just had an even better idea that those lads (the checkers) can use to make even more money.

Sure, take the crown shilling from Sky to go into pubs with your camera to be a grass. Then, when you see something you shouldn't, pull the owner/landlord/supervisor aside for a (*cough*) "private word". Double your money at the pub's expense by returning to your student bedsit and holding your camera up to old VHS tapes made by your parents of The Late Late Show.

I think the only thing that will double is the pain your feel as pub customers kick your **** in for being a snake

• Advertisement

• Didnt a landlady in sunderland i think as i remember niall quinn was oart of story win in court to show a satellite channel and avoid huge charges. From.what i remember pub was very close to the ground

Irish pub landlord I know in London (that's a pub landlord from Ireland, not the landlord of an Irish Pub) hung a photo of Steve Staunton in the bar with a warning that staff were not to accept checks from this man, or probably even serve him a pint if he called in.

(just for giggles of course, he didn't know Stash, just didn't like his style).

Advertisement